Giving real bones to Piper...question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Giving real bones to Piper...question

Postby Annika » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm

A few months ago we started having Piper chew on raw femur bones to help clean her teeth. It REALLY works. And she loves and cherishes "bone time." The bones have all the marrow in them and some meat residue on the outside, which she loves, and I know the marrow is good for her.

I know that cooked bones are bad because they can splinter...but what about smoked bones? Smoking cures the meat and gets rid of the blood-on-the-tile-floor issue, which is nice, but does smoking the bone change its properties and make it like a cooked bone? Piper loves the bones so much that she chews with a TON of force, and can even splinter off a piece of raw bone once in a while.

Should I avoid them and continue with raw (followed by Clorox wipes afterwards, *sigh*)? lol

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Giving real bones to Piper...question

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

I avoid those smoked bones like the plague. To the point where if they are in a raffle prize we win, I toss them at the site.

They are basted with tons of icky fake crap and then dried out. I see them as similar to rawhide and other cheap chewie stuff that isn't good for them.

If you are worried about the ickies, you could find a large rug with non-slip backing so she can lay down and get her chew on. Then toss in the wash...

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 pm

b can splinter smoked, weight-bearing and joint basted bones. sharp shards result. scary. i toss them.

have her lie on a mat or designated towel; when she's done you can toss the bloody towel into a bag and into the freezer?

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks...glad I asked. The smoked bones they had at the butcher shop smelled like they had BBQ sauce all over them or something, they didn't seem as healthy anyway.

We have tons of old bath towels...every time we get a new set, we keep the old set. lol My hoarding will come in handy, I'll use those.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Wait, another question... :oops:

How do you guys keep your bones, and for how long?

I've been freezing them in between chews, even though they are less flavorful that way, because Piper still likes them frozen and it seems to keep them so much longer. Her first one, we put in the fridge and it started to smell funny after 2 weeks.

But still, with repeated thawings and chewings, they will start to get yucky, won't they?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, I don't do super huge bones that take multiple days but I do often defrost and refreeze items when I'm portioning.

I'd go with when you start to think "yuck" when you put it in or out of the freezer, then it's time for you to toss it.

Also, I'm sure that Piper, like my dogs, like to lay down, stretch out and really go to town on the bone. So make sure you give her a large enough space to do so.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Also, I'm sure that Piper, like my dogs, like to lay down, stretch out and really go to town on the bone. So make sure you give her a large enough space to do so.

Actually....no! Piper is so funny, she will stand and chew her bone. She'll bow a little to really gnaw at it, but her back legs always remain straight and standing. We tried to get her to lie down, so we could show her how much easier it would be to grasp it with her paws...but then she just loved having us hold it FOR her so she could continue chewing while standing. lol

Oh well...she's special. I'm happy she doesn't mind our hands on it while chewing. I think putting her on a towel will help the bone not skitter around the floor and keep my clean-up area smaller. :)

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:48 pm

My dog does the stand and chew too lol
I put an old blanket over the dog bed and Apollo stands and chews there. I started out giving him the bone and when he would move off the bed, I took the bone away and put it back on the bed. Pretty soon he figured it out and now runs to the bed to get his bone.
I got him a bed with raised sides so he can shove the bone in a corner and chew away.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm sure you guys all know this is a risk but I feel the need to toss it out there anyways.

Buddy fractured her two bottom canines on a bone last year at this time and needed the extracted. So for anyone new to bones, make sure you watch just how aggressively your dogs are chewing.

(For the record, my guys still get raw bones to chew on and deer antlers. Sometimes the benefit outweighs the risk.)

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:48 pm

The other risk is foolish dogs like Choco that ingest giant pieces of bone. Yet another thing on his list of things he is not allowed to play with.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 pm

I refreeze the pups' raw recreational bones until they remove all the crap from the outside of the bone.
Sometimes there will still be marrow in them, but I won't refreeze them (maybe I should?). But I keep most bones, even after they've cleaned them out, because I reuse them by stuffing them with whatever I choose, and freezing them. I cap the ends off with peanut butter (just enough to stop up the holes) to hold the contents in the bone, and then I zip lock bag them and in the freezer they go! :))

I don't think my dogs would have any sanity right now if they didn't have bones to chew on. lol

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Where can I get good raw bones or antlers? And are hooves okay?
What's good to start with for a dog who has never had a real bone and is a serious chewer?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Blu, I'm not sure if you are still considering a food trial but remember that bones and antlers would interfere with a limited ingredient diet. They would still contain the potential allergens of whatever animal they came from.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:25 pm

You could also feed in the crate with an old towel if she refuses to keep the ickies off the floor. lol

I raw feed, but meat disgusts me, and I don't want it all over my house. :yucky:

@ILoveBlu: for raw bones I usually go to the butcher, for antlers try checking Ebay (MUCH cheaper than buying at a pet supplies store). ;)

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:02 pm

I bought a Merrick cleaned beef marrow bone for Blu. He loved it, but eventually chewed off a piece about the size of a quarter. Are they supposed to consume these? The lady at the store said it was just for gnawing. I'm nervous about him passing these pieces. What should I do/watch for?

Return to “Health Issues”