Gee what a surprise. It's Spud again :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Gee what a surprise. It's Spud again :(

Postby laiinkyree » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 am

Apparently Fate, or Mother Nature has it in for Spud and me. He is almost finished with his recovery period from TPLO surgery on his right hind leg. As in, this was his last week before returning to no restrictions. Unfortunately, thanks to the surgery/recovery time, and some idiot friends of my brother-in-law, Spud has fallen backwards in his anxiety with new people. He's still great with us, and great with people he knows. But it's taking longer for him to be comfortable with new people coming into our home.

About a month ago he nipped at my friend Chris, who has been over a few times and has done the training-slow greeting thing with Spud every time. He wasn't thinking and reached over a gate to pet Spud, which I have told him NOT to do. Before that just once with the training-slow greeting thing and he was perfectly fine with people reaching over the gate at him. Now it takes a lot more time and visits for him to be okay with that.

Now, ever since winter hit, Spud has been uncomfortable. The cold weather is hell on his arthritic joints. That's easy to fix, we let him out to do his business, and he comes back inside ASAP. The problem with that is, he still needs to walk on his leg. Even if I wrap him up in his onesie and winter coat, we can't get a block away before he starts limping/stops and refuses to walk more and just shivers in place. To fix that problem, we have been trying to find someone to let us borrow a treadmill. Not ideal, I know, but it'd be something to help his leg.

Well, now that is out of the question. Less then a week ago Spud started limping. On his other back leg. It's exactly the same as before. We think his other knee is going to require surgery. We don't have the money. We bought new windows before Spud had his first surgery. We had the paper work signed and the project paid for before Spud's leg went. So we were already a little put out. ($4,000). Then Spud had his surgery, which after everything was said and done cost us about $3,000. This last weekend our furnace died. By died I mean the repair man said that even if he fixed the igniter, if we turned it back on it could start spewing carbon dioxide into the house. So, we had to get a new one.

Our credit cards are now maxed, even the one that we had saved for emergencies. I feel like a terrible pet owner. We don't even have the money to bring him to the vet to get x-rays. We don't have the money for the surgery. We can't do care credit, we were denied. We can't find anyone to give us assistance or do payment plans. )If anyone knows a vet in Minnesota that could help us out that would be great :( ) The other side of the coin is, even if we can find a way to pay for it, is it really fair for us to put him through this again? Spud has been on restrictions since last August. We've done our best to keep him mentally stimulated, but I can tell it's taking it's toll on him mentally. I know that some of it is him growing up, since he turned 2 in September, but he's changed so much personality-wise the last 4-5 months. No matter how much we do with him, his anxiety with the door/door bell/new people coming in seems to be slowly getting worse. What would you guys do if you were in this situation? Do you guys think that he'll be able to "bounce back" from another 4 months of house arrest?

I wish SOMETHING would go right soon. I want my dog back. My silly, goofy, people-loving dog to be 100% okay again, physically and mentally. Any advice, corrections, anything anyone can help with would be greatly appreciated.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: Gee what a surprise. It's Spud again :(

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 am

I have no advice for you but wanted to share a :hug: .

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am

Odds are its an ACL... but you cannot know without x-rays. He does need to see the vet, but it doesn't need to be today.

There is nothing wrong with doing 10 days of cage rest to see if it will go away on its own. If it gets worse, or doesn't go away, then start calling family to see if you can borrow some money. It would be best if you could get him to the vet just for an exam and some pain medications (do NOT use aspirin!), even if you have to decline radiographs for the time being, so if you can swing that, get him in as soon as you can.

I know people who were willing to do surgery but needed time to save up the money (friends in vet school too!) and they just did anti-inflammatories and rest. This is OK if its the best you can do (after you get a diagnosis of course)... its not ideal, your pup will likely have more arthritis, but minimal activity will minimize the development of inflammation and arthritis.

laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby laiinkyree » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 am

We started giving him his pain killers we had left from before again. (We went to Vet #1 at the very beginning of his leg thing, then switched to vet #2 who gave us a new prescription of the same stuff. We called the vet to ask if it was okay for him to take what we had left, and they said yes.)

The problem is also waiting to do the surgery....he's not happy being kept quiet. And he's been kept quiet since last August. He's a pit bull who hasn't been allowed to run for 4 months, and now it'll be another 4 months of quiet time at least. These issues are getting worse:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=132862

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

:hug: I'm sorry you're going through this.

Check out PBRC's page on financial aid. :) http://www.pbrc.net/fund/financial.html

I don't understand why he needs to be confined for 4 months after the surgery. Did he have complications? Both times our dog needed TPLO surgery, he was out and about within a couple weeks for short walks. And the second surgery was in the winter, in Central Minnesota, so I know how sucky the weather is for rehabbing a gimpy dog. ;) By 10 weeks, both times, he was cleared for regular play time with our other dogs.

I have a treadmill in my garage that doesn't work. If you want it, you can have it. I have NO idea how much it'll cost to get it working again. I hope Spud's feeling better soon!

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:25 pm

Sorry for the DP. I just thought of something else. Call the University of Minnesota and see if they have any studies/options that may be beneficial to your situation. The worst they can do is say "no".

When Tanner was diagnosed with lymphoma, we managed to get him into a couple different studies at the University. Those studies provided several thousand dollars worth of diagnostics and treatment. I know I saw stuff on their bulletin board about broken legs, so who knows unless you ask.

laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby laiinkyree » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 am

Talked to the vet again this morning. Before bringing him in, since I have the pills they would recommend for him anyways, we're going to do the two weeks of strict rest to see if it gets better. I have a weeks' worth of pills left, so at the end of the week I can just go in and they'll give me another week's prescription without having to pay for an office visit. If there's no improvement, they'll let us come in and pay half the total, and the other half at a later date. We'll see about surgery at that point.

Return to “Health Issues”