Has your dog ever donated blood?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Has your dog ever donated blood?

Postby CuriousMoves » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Anyone here have a dog who donates blood? Someone I know takes their lab/pit mix in to the local vet college to give blood every once in awhile and it sounded interesting. She said to just call and book an appointment, and they test your dog to see if they have the right blood type or something. Anyone here ever done this with their dogs? Are there any downsides to blood donation with dogs? What has your experience been? I may call next week to book an appointment..

Thanks!

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Has your dog ever donated blood?

Postby April » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I know many here have their dogs donate blood I personally never donated blood let alone my dog :(

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Arnold went in to try but they didn't accept his blood type. I'll probably start taking in Backup when he's old enough and maybe Sloan if Denis wants. I used to take my moms cats in but it became exceedingly stressful for them so we stopped.

Down falls for a competing dog they can't give blood right before as it zaps them. Benefits are though they always get their blood monitored and get full panels regularly for free in trade.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I would, but dogs should be a minimum of 50-60 pounds for that, and neither meets that requirement anymore... I was going to with Sheila when I was in school but never got around to getting signed up.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Gypsy donated blood in an emergency, so it wasn't all planned out and tested.

If there was a place here that did that, I'd have Gypsy and Umah in to donate, for sure!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Both of my dogs give blood-and actually have an appointment to give in the next week or so. They give at the University of Florida. Currently I don't see any downsides to it and it really hugely benefits us. We receive so much in exchange for the blood. I believe that they split the blood up into three parts, two go towards saving lives and the other is for tests/studying.(I imagine them putting a disease or something into the blood and then trying things to fix it...but no one has ever actually said that to me so it's very likely I'm making it up.)

We did have to have them tested. They are universal donors. They had to be a certain age (not too old or too young), weight and had to have certain organs...and I believe it was required for them to be speutered. UF also does donations from cats, but they have their own colloney...and the cats are HUGE!

We get all of the heartworm and flea medicine. We get 40lbs of food per dog. Two bags of treats per dog. Each dog gets a toy. They have their annual tests ran. If we needed blood we would get up to a certain amount for free. Also we would get their vacinations for free, but they can't have them at the same time they donate and we're 3 hours away...so we don't drive to get the vacs...but we have them on a plan at our local vet and that also covers their shots. There has been a time or two that our girl-Bailey couldn't donate due to some medication she was on, and they still gave us all of the stuff for her-we really appreciated that.

I think the only down side is it's taken out of their neck. It's kind of scary...for me. They have to shave the area. Afterwards we have to keep them rested for the (day of and) next day. And then we can only use a head collar for a couple days...which we do anyways. But overall I don't really see those as downsides.

I'd say, if you're interested try it out. But if you find your dog is too stressed out by the situation, personally I'd not do it or stop doing it.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Ahem*
Colony and Vaccinations not colloney and vacinations
<---very bad speller.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Also dogs cannot donate (here) until I believe 1-1.5 years and cannot donate after 7 years.

The neck shaving isn't that bad but we have someone here who unfortunately is a forrunner in our E-blood bank who sucks at needles and I've seen way to many hematomas from her work (at our last dog days event they did blood testing/banking and I saw 5 dogs with hematomas). When she did Arnolds she dropped the needle out, pulled causing bruising, and missed the vein twice. My boyfriend who is a diabetic cringed at her skills (he needles daily).

I will be very specific who draws my dogs blood in the future should I rejoin a blood bank with my other dogs. The other vet techs involved I hear are great though, just a heads up to keep an eye on.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Oh and DP I don't believe you have to alter your dogs here to be donors.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Kane donates on a regular basis -- usually every 2 months, since we alternate between 2 sites near our house. They love him. Kane's a pretty rambuctious dog, so I was worried about the "spooning" the tech does and him holding still during the donation -- but they figured out he's a huge sucker for peanut butter so he gets PB during the donation process. I don't see any "cons" about donating, in our case.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Both of my dogs give blood-and actually have an appointment to give in the next week or so. They give at the University of Florida. Currently I don't see any downsides to it and it really hugely benefits us. We receive so much in exchange for the blood. I believe that they split the blood up into three parts, two go towards saving lives and the other is for tests/studying.(I imagine them putting a disease or something into the blood and then trying things to fix it...but no one has ever actually said that to me so it's very likely I'm making it up.)

We did have to have them tested. They are universal donors. They had to be a certain age (not too old or too young), weight and had to have certain organs...and I believe it was required for them to be speutered. UF also does donations from cats, but they have their own colloney...and the cats are HUGE!

We get all of the heartworm and flea medicine. We get 40lbs of food per dog. Two bags of treats per dog. Each dog gets a toy. They have their annual tests ran. If we needed blood we would get up to a certain amount for free. Also we would get their vacinations for free, but they can't have them at the same time they donate and we're 3 hours away...so we don't drive to get the vacs...but we have them on a plan at our local vet and that also covers their shots. There has been a time or two that our girl-Bailey couldn't donate due to some medication she was on, and they still gave us all of the stuff for her-we really appreciated that.

I think the only down side is it's taken out of their neck. It's kind of scary...for me. They have to shave the area. Afterwards we have to keep them rested for the (day of and) next day. And then we can only use a head collar for a couple days...which we do anyways. But overall I don't really see those as downsides.

I'd say, if you're interested try it out. But if you find your dog is too stressed out by the situation, personally I'd not do it or stop doing it.

Thats a great deal!!

We are taking Scar this Sunday to our local E-Vet to see if he can start donating. They give a 25$ credit for every donation to their clinic, free blood transfusion is he were to ever need one & of course the initial bloodwork that they run is something we would never be able to afford. Once we get a better car I might call the college and maybe take the drive up there.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Obi donated once for my bosses 15 year old golden just in case it was needed during his splenectomy. He's on the waiting list here at the Ontario Vet College to be accepted as a regular donor. There's a waiting list because the OVC does free annual check ups, vaccines, heartworm tests and prevention. Pretty sweet deal.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Mushroom did once for a dog at work. He's only 55 pounds so he's kind of borderline too small, but he tolerated it fine. He was a super good boy.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:03 pm

elegy wrote:Mushroom did once for a dog at work. He's only 55 pounds so he's kind of borderline too small, but he tolerated it fine. He was a super good boy.

I can't remember what the guidelines are for the place we donate at -- but Kane is 40 lbs.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Jaka didn't donate any blood yet, but he is in the registry of blood donors so if anyone needs blood, they have my contact. Brina is too old to donate, plus she had ehrlichiosis in the past so she never donated.

Return to “Health Issues”