Has your dog ever donated blood?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Has your dog ever donated blood?

Postby Maven » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Ari will donate when he is old enough. MAven is to "small."

CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Postby CuriousMoves » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys! Lots of great information! I think I might wait until the new year to call, but I will definitely give it a shot. Riley is 65lb, although he probably should be closer to 60. I think he will be big enough, not sure on the age qualifications for the local program, he IS five..hopefully they don't consider that too old to start! Thanks again everyone!

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Ruadh was used for trsnfusions several times in emergencies. I would have gotten him into the UF program since I worked there but by then he was too old. It is a great program and believe me, if the neck sticks are too much for a dog they just won't use them. Mostly the dogs just lay there and wag their tails. The tech loves pit bulls, btw. She prefers working with them, and she herself is an Aussie owner.

When Tonka had her transfusions before she died I got a little photo of her donor, who turned out to be my friend's dog lol
I almost adopted one of the donor cats but somebody beat to him.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Becky donated a few times when I was working at the specialty hospital. She is a universal as well. Banjo (cat) is an B cat which as far as I know is not *super* common in regular domestic shorthairs, so he donated a few cats, even helped save a cat named Lewis :)

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Scar gave his first donation this morning. He did pretty good through most of it..but had to be sedated through the actual sedation. All in all it was a pretty good experience. I tried to make as positive for him as possible and went prepared with lots of treats. He is still a little groggy but has spent the day snuggling with me in bed.

Giving his first donation
Still a little groggy
Back to sleep he went

ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm

awww those pics of Scar! So weird seeing him laying down.. Still! ;) I know I know, he wasn't his Normal Self, he was knocked out some lol But still! :) Tell him Jade is Proud of him!

:)

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 pm

ilovetyson wrote:awww those pics of Scar! So weird seeing him laying down.. Still! ;) I know I know, he wasn't his Normal Self, he was knocked out some lol But still! :) Tell him Jade is Proud of him!

:)

lol he has pretty mellow all day.. kind of nice seeing him so calm for a change.. anything to make Jade proud of him.. you already know how much he loves her!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:47 am

Here are some pictures from one of the times Bailey and Trooper gave:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=134835&hilit=+dogs+with+a+job

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Maizey Blue donates every two months at the NC State vet school. We began the screening process right after her first birthday, and she gave her first donation at 14 months. Maizey is VERY mellow, especially given her age, and no sedation is needed. She'll take whatever they give her as far as pokes, and only responds with a wag and a lick. Pretty amazing, my girl.

Return to “Health Issues”