Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
willyg44
Newborn Bully
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:03 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby willyg44 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 am

I wanted to post this for a while, sorry if this is old news to everyone on here, but I had a great vet experience lately and found out what has been causing these sores and skin irritations mainly on chin area that kept recurring.

Our previous vet just prescribed us medication and never told us what he thought could be causing it or what we could do to try to prevent it from coming back. We were fed up with that vet, went to a new one that was highly recommended, and he sat down and talked to us, asking us all these questions and trying to figure out what the cause was. When he began asking about his diet, he asked what types of treats we give Leo, saying that the milkbone treats, treats with wheat and dyes in them are really bad. He told us it's great we're feeding him raw and he thinks that's the best choice, but we're screwing up the entire diet by feeding him these crappy treats.

I trust his advice, since everyone raves about the guy, and the skin issue hasn't come back yet. We had a couple weeks worth of cephalexin and stopped giving him those treats, and he's been fine since then. He cited a study done on various breeds where they gave them 1 milkbone treat every few weeks (or month I forget), and the pitbulls were the breed that had the worst effects from it. He said he's seen the same issue many times with pitbulls. I'm so glad we got hooked up with this vet, it's nice to finally get someone who talks to you and tries to figure things out and give advice, rather than just handing us meds and bills.

User avatar
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:53 pm
Location: Costa Mesa, CA

Re: Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am

That's great you found a vet you like and that you are getting to the bottom of the issues. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 am

willyg44 wrote: He told us it's great we're feeding him raw and he thinks that's the best choice, but we're screwing up the entire diet by feeding him these crappy treats.


LOVE this story... what a wonderful example.

You should read and be picky about treat ingredients just as much as you are about the food you feed.

User avatar
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 am
Location: Bend, OR
Contact:

Re: Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
willyg44 wrote: He told us it's great we're feeding him raw and he thinks that's the best choice, but we're screwing up the entire diet by feeding him these crappy treats.


LOVE this story... what a wonderful example.

You should read and be picky about treat ingredients just as much as you are about the food you feed.


I am always surprised that people don't think about this. We get so many people coming into the store whose dogs have allergy issues, and they "just won't go away". They claim to have tried all the foods, and nothing works, etc. 90% of the time we find out that they're still feeding treats with things like chicken/corn/wheat/rice/etc. in them, which the dog can't have. Put them on treats that match the food they eat and voila, no more problems.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am

Savage Destiny wrote:
I am always surprised that people don't think about this. We get so many people coming into the store whose dogs have allergy issues, and they "just won't go away". They claim to have tried all the foods, and nothing works, etc. 90% of the time we find out that they're still feeding treats with things like chicken/corn/wheat/rice/etc. in them, which the dog can't have. Put them on treats that match the food they eat and voila, no more problems.


Yup, or they're still feeding heartguard or flavored Rimadyl... everything that goes into a dogs mouth counts...

User avatar
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1889
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:54 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Stay Away From Dog Treats With Wheat/Dyes

Postby star_frances » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:05 pm

I was in WalMart the other day and almost bought a package of treats because they had a Petey (from Little rascals, you know...) looking pit bull on the package. Hollywood Stars Liver Flavored Dog Treats. I can't find the ingredient list online to post it, but when I read the package I gagged. I'll stick with making my own at home, thank you very much.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests