RAW food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
onious
Newborn Bully

RAW food

Postby onious » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey all! I was told that raw is better for your dog than kibble (for obvious reasons :thumbsup: ), but I am knew to this raw food thing.
I gave it a shot to see how his body would react to raw food and its been 4 days now and theres no signs of loose stool, he vomited twice (but it had leaves in it, so I think they are culprit). I gave him whole chicken leg quarters and a wing, plus a couple of ox tails ( over the 4 day period), he loves it! My question(s) do I feed him whole chickens and let him do the carnage himself or cut to portions? also would a whole raw Bass fish be good? would the bones in the fish get lodged in his throat or anywhere in him? Next week we'll try steak if he keeps up the tolerance to the raw food. Keep in mind that I read quite a bit about the raw diet, and read the BARF thread. My mind is made up, raw food it is until further notice lol. Also...I know, I know another question...I'll shut up in minute, but do I feed him a whole chicken a day? that seems costly.

now Im done ;)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: RAW food

Postby starrlamia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:51 pm

I would highly recommend re-reading the BARF sticky. It really does answer all of your questions.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 pm

I think we've hit all of those questions many times in the BARF 101 sticky. There are some side conversations but if you are watching TV or what not, just start reading. Also you might want to open up Word and copy/paste things that you either want to remember or have follow-ups questions about.

There's also a bunch of smaller threads. Search for "Raw" or "BARF" and you should get plenty of reading. If you have questions, feel free to bump a thread or two by posting in it and it will come back to the top of that forum and be noticeable as a new post.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 pm

FransterDoo wrote:I think we've hit all of those questions many times in the BARF 101 sticky. There are some side conversations but if you are watching TV or what not, just start reading. Also you might want to open up Word and copy/paste things that you either want to remember or have follow-ups questions about.

thats basically what I did! Any info I saw on that thread that I thought was interesting I copy and pasted, cause going through that thread thoroughly takes a while!

onious
Newborn Bully

Postby onious » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 am

Thats a good idea, copy and paste didnt even cross my mind (I know I know) :)it is long to read and sort what I need. Thanks

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:07 am

I started reading the thread because I'm starting to wean Luke and Ophie off of puppy kibble.
I'd love to feed raw, but I am a total chicken crap about it because Ella didn't do well on raw, and I researched and thought I had catered the diet to what she needed.
But I was feeding her over 3 lbs. a day, and she kept losing weight on it and losing hair.
And I was giving fish oil supplements and everything.

I want to feed the pups what is going to allow their immune systems to continue to develop awesomely. I should just take the plunge, since they'll eat anything, but I am having a hard time doing it.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 am

chewbecca wrote:I started reading the thread because I'm starting to wean Luke and Ophie off of puppy kibble.
I'd love to feed raw, but I am a total chicken crap about it because Ella didn't do well on raw, and I researched and thought I had catered the diet to what she needed.
But I was feeding her over 3 lbs. a day, and she kept losing weight on it and losing hair.
And I was giving fish oil supplements and everything.

I want to feed the pups what is going to allow their immune systems to continue to develop awesomely. I should just take the plunge, since they'll eat anything, but I am having a hard time doing it.

you could always start by feeding 1 meal a day a couple of days out of the week and see how they do. Thats how I started doing it, we just started 100% raw this weekend :) But by feeding it here and there before i got to see how they ate it and reacted to it.

onious
Newborn Bully

Postby onious » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Well we jumped right into it and he seems to be doing fine. I still hand feed him otherwise he'll inhale giant chunks of meat and bone. He's on chicken, and sometimes beef so far, next we're going to try the fish. He's losing a little weight which is good because he was looking a bit too thick. He also stands better, not alot but it is a small difference. Even my girlfriend noticed it. Whatever is making him stand better Im thankful. He vomits in the morning a yellowy sometimes white liquid, but afterwards he's right back at being him :run: Do all dogs lose their hair if over fed raw?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 pm

onious wrote:Well we jumped right into it and he seems to be doing fine. I still hand feed him otherwise he'll inhale giant chunks of meat and bone. He's on chicken, and sometimes beef so far, next we're going to try the fish. He's losing a little weight which is good because he was looking a bit too thick. He also stands better, not alot but it is a small difference. Even my girlfriend noticed it. Whatever is making him stand better Im thankful. He vomits in the morning a yellowy sometimes white liquid, but afterwards he's right back at being him :run: Do all dogs lose their hair if over fed raw?

you can try feeding frozen to see if that slows down his eating.
Losing hair isnt normal and is usually an allergic reaction or other condition. Is he losing hair in certain spots? Has this happened before? Did it just start? If this just started with the raw, I would stick to one meat source to see if it helps, perhaps another source is causing issues.

onious
Newborn Bully

Postby onious » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 am

No he isnt losing hair, I hope he never does.Thanks for the insight, Im going to try semi frozen hoping that should slow him down. I want to give him a whole bass, Im hoping the bones wont be a problem. There is one thing that happened since we started the raw food...the begging! he rarely begged until we started this raw diet (smh).

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:17 pm

If he's vomiting yellow bile in the morning it could just be that his stomach is empty. That's pretty common, but take note and make sure there are no chunks of things his body is actually trying to expel, like bits of bone.

Good luck with the raw. I've been feeding raw for years now and the difference is huge. Dogs get lean, smell less, and have stronger immune systems... win, win, win! :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Vomiting some bile is common in the beginning. What I did to curb this is give them a biscuit right before bed or in the morning so that they didn't have an empty, bile filled stomach. After awhile they adjusted and no longer need this (although I often give them a morning biscuit anyway, because they'll harass me if I don't!) lol

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Andre vomits bile a couple times a month in the morning. I haven't been able to pinpoint what's causing it yet. Sometimes it's after a supper of all ground beef, sometimes it's after a supper of pork ribs, or chicken. *shrug* Our vet told us to give him pepcid every night at bedtime to help control the acid in his stomach. We suspect he's just a big sissy with a sensitive stomach. :)

Both Amber and Andre will self-regulate now. Even their favorite foods, they will eat until they're full and then walk away from whatever is left.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Flibgit wrote:Andre vomits bile a couple times a month in the morning. I haven't been able to pinpoint what's causing it yet. Sometimes it's after a supper of all ground beef, sometimes it's after a supper of pork ribs, or chicken. *shrug* Our vet told us to give him pepcid every night at bedtime to help control the acid in his stomach. We suspect he's just a big sissy with a sensitive stomach. :)

Both Amber and Andre will self-regulate now. Even their favorite foods, they will eat until they're full and then walk away from whatever is left.

Wow. I portion out their meals, but sometimes, if I'm feeling extra lazy about it, I'll let them have a pretty big piece. They NEVER walk away. Fiona's come out of the kitchen waddling! LOL

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
Flibgit wrote:Andre vomits bile a couple times a month in the morning. I haven't been able to pinpoint what's causing it yet. Sometimes it's after a supper of all ground beef, sometimes it's after a supper of pork ribs, or chicken. *shrug* Our vet told us to give him pepcid every night at bedtime to help control the acid in his stomach. We suspect he's just a big sissy with a sensitive stomach. :)

Wow. I portion out their meals, but sometimes, if I'm feeling extra lazy about it, I'll let them have a pretty big piece. They NEVER walk away. Fiona's come out of the kitchen waddling! LOL

Bwahahaha. Yeah, it's weird. Andre will eat 1/2 a rack of pork ribs one day and then a full rack the next day. Amber will eat 1 leg and 1 wing off a chicken one day and the rest of the chicken the next day. (To clarify, I don't leave the food out for them the entire time, unless Andre has taken his supper outside. Since it's below zero now, I see no reason why his food can't stay outside and freeze instead of being in the freezer inside)

Return to “Health Issues”