Hives?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Hives?

Postby IloveBlu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 am

Blu woke up with a mild case of hives (raised light pink bumps) spread out over his lower half.

I've given him double his Temaril P dose (10mg instead of 5mg) along with his Claritin. The vet said it's okay to increase if needed and then come down again.

Is there anything else I can do?

He got a piece of bacon yesterday morning and I'm wondering if that may have caused it.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Hives?

Postby Libby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:04 am

If he is really itchy you can put a couple inches of water in the bathtub and add a half a cup of apple cider vinegar, and just soak him in it for ten minutes. It takes the itchy/sting out.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:27 pm

My foster Choco sounds like he has a similar thing to Blu - he has allergies and he gets the bumps all over his belly sometimes. He is also taking Temaril-P.

His dermatologist gave me this spray that really helps when he has an allergy flare up. It is called Vetricyn (the animal version of Micosyn). You just spray it on the bumpy area twice a day. It is new on the market but if your vet should be able to get samples at least - if she/he is not able to get a hold of it they should be able to write a script for the human version if nothing else.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:20 pm

He's not itching at them and I don't know if that's because he can't reach them or they don't itch. Maybe they're not hives? He got 10mg of Temaril P and Claritin at 9am and they haven't changed or spread - but a few seem to have gotten pinker.

My poor allergic pup :(

I'm going to look into that spray - that may help his paws and one itchy spot on his head. Thanks.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:25 pm

It looks like you can actually buy that online! http://www.vetericyn.com/benefits/canine.php
Do you know which one you use, Pitt?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:26 pm

When Choco is on an adequate dose of Temaril-P he gets the bumps but doesn't itch them (thank goodness). But the spray still helps them go away.

Sending good thoughts to you; allergies are SO frustrating :(

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Sasha has had hives a couple of times before: once from food and once from a spider bite. I used Benadryl both times, and it seems to have done the trick. Plus, it knocked her out which I'm sure helped with the itching.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:37 pm

The bumps have spread. Some of them are flesh-colored, some of them are red and irritated. Yet I don't see him itching at them.

Can I give benadryl with Termail-P and Claritin? He had those drugs over 12 hours ago. 50mg for a 50lber?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:52 pm

ugh poor baby. If those are happening on Temaril-P AND Claritin, I think at least a phone call to the vet is in order.
Choco is allowed Benadryl at the same time as Temaril-P. Not sure about the Claritin as he has never taken that.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 am

That is EXACTLY what Sasha's bumps looked like when she got bit by a spider a few weeks ago. Benadryl did the trick for us; it was recommended by our vet.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:43 am

Well I gave him the 50mg of Benadryl last night, and had him sleep with us in case he went completely ballistic. He slept through the night without moving but we woke up to slightly more bumps up his spine this morning. Called the vet (he was in by some stroke of luck) and he said give 20mg of Temaril P today and call tomorrow.

I don't know what he could have gotten into. The only thing I notice is that his kong feels sticky - like the rubber may have started to melt in the dishwasher? Could that cause him any problems?

I guess he could be reacting to his food - even though he began that about six weeks ago?

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm

No, that looks more like a reaction to a bite or food to me; I don't think it could have been the Kong. It seems odd that he would just now start reacting to food that he's been on for weeks. I'm sorry the Benadryl didn't help! :(

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:58 pm

If you're doing a diet trial and then giving him things like bacon, etc, you are never going to be able to figure out what he's allergic to.

A true diet trial needs to be a select food, and ONLY that food, for a minimum of 3 months. No other treats, bones, antlers, chewies, rawhides, etc.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 pm

He's not on a diet trial. We did a three month food trial earlier this year and there was no change. The vet wants us to try Z/D or goat. But right now, no diet trial. He's on lamb and rice, both of which he's had before.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm

The hives are getting purple in color now and he's licking one on his thing raw. He'll probably need antibiotics. They are not reducing and look angrier. Does this mean he's still being exposed to the allergen somehow? All he's having right now is his food.

Return to “Health Issues”