Hives?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Hives?

Postby star_frances » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:29 pm

IloveBlu wrote:The hives are getting purple in color now and he's licking one on his thing raw. He'll probably need antibiotics. They are not reducing and look angrier. Does this mean he's still being exposed to the allergen somehow? All he's having right now is his food.

It could be an environmental allergen? can you give him an oatmeal bath or something just in case?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Nothing environmentally has changed (that I know of) but a bath may not be a bad idea.Though, he just had one on Thursday and I don't want to dry out his skin...

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:05 pm

I seriously think you should go to a board certified dermatologist, preferably at a vet school if you have one nearby.
The regular vets that were seeing Choco were not making any progress with him. Even the emergency vets at the vet school told me in no uncertain terms that he needed a dermatologist. I think when a problem is that severe you are wasting your money on trying things yourself or with a regular vet - it would be like seeing your family doctor for heart surgery.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:24 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:I seriously think you should go to a board certified dermatologist, preferably at a vet school if you have one nearby.
The regular vets that were seeing Choco were not making any progress with him. Even the emergency vets at the vet school told me in no uncertain terms that he needed a dermatologist. I think when a problem is that severe you are wasting your money on trying things yourself or with a regular vet - it would be like seeing your family doctor for heart surgery.

:goodpost:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:I seriously think you should go to a board certified dermatologist, preferably at a vet school if you have one nearby.

Yeah I think I recommended a deramtologost a while ago. It seems like that would be the way to go.

As far as bath...you could do oatmeal or even just plain cool water should help alleviate some itchiness. If you are using a mild shampoo and that is what you used earlier in the week I wouldn't worry about it over drying.

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Oh no:( I wish him the best, prolly not getting better because he isnt on the correct meds? hope you find out tomorrow.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 pm

I gave him a cool rinse with a mild tea tree shampoo and it seems to have alleviated some of his itching and made them a little less angry-looking.

I have called a recommended vet dermatologist, and after reviewing everything that was done at our regular vet, she only wanted to see Blu for skin testing (not yet done) after he's been off steroids for several months. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that yet.

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 pm

IloveBlu wrote:I gave him a cool rinse with a mild tea tree shampoo and it seems to have alleviated some of his itching and made them a little less angry-looking.

I have called a recommended vet dermatologist, and after reviewing everything that was done at our regular vet, she only wanted to see Blu for skin testing (not yet done) after he's been off steroids for several months. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that yet.

glad you found something to calm it down for the time being

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 pm

It really sucks seeing our dogs in pain.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:11 pm

how long do they last for?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm

If they're still there and he's not responding to antihistamines, I'd book an appointment.

I would guess it depends on what is causing them to determine how long they will last.

Poor Blu :(

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm

He's on 20mg of temaril for two days. They seem to have lessened in size but they are still very much there even though he's not itching. He's had nothing but his food and pills. Calling again in am.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 pm

It almost seems like they're coming and going.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:02 pm

It's yeast:(

plus what looks to be, according to vet, an allergic reaction to yeast overgrowth. he said he's never seen so much yeast on a dog :( i feel so, so bad for not taking him sooner. i NEVER wait on anything, but this time i did and i shouldn't have.

poor baby. he's on ketaconzole and i am to give him an allergy bath as much as possible.

just thought of this: if he's allergic to yeast, and yeast lives naturally on his skin, could he be constantly reacting to it on some level?

if so, what can i do about that?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 am

also, is it contagious to humans? suddenly feeling itchy...

Return to “Health Issues”