He's a little thin...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

He's a little thin...

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:21 am

What is a good quality dog kibble with a higher fat content? I need to put 4-6 pounds on Dex. When I gave him his bath yesterday, I could see his hips and spine a little too well. Hes free fed blue buffalo wilderness, He weighs 38 lbs. right now and I would like to see 42-45, he is an Australian Shepherd, a little on the small side though. I think he just burns the calories off faster because hes so active, but I do have a vet apt for friday, just to make sure nothing is wrong with him.

jamielvsaustin

Re: He's a little thin...

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am

I was just reading in another thread about canned food. Is there a canned version of the food you feed him? Maybe you could add a can to his diet everyday. :dunno:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 am

You can try bumping his food up by 25%. But I'd wait until after his vet visit.

Which wilderness formula is he on? The chicken formula has 410 kcal/cup which seems about right for an adult dog (Orijen for example is closer to 460kcal/cup and Canidae is also 460kcal/cup).

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 am

If he's an adult dog a lot of people swear by satin balls to add weight fast.

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 pm

He can't be fed anymore than he already is getting, as he is free fed. I was thinking about mixing in canned food, he will probably be more inclined to sit and eat instead of just pick at it all day. He is on the chicken formula.

He is an adult, (will be 2 next month) but what is a satin ball?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Satin balls are:

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

Mixed together and serves as patties. But if his diet is balanced, he's healthy, and he's eating enough then he shouldn't need these.

Have you tried meal-training him?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm

AbbyGirl352 wrote:He can't be fed anymore than he already is getting, as he is free fed. I was thinking about mixing in canned food, he will probably be more inclined to sit and eat instead of just pick at it all day. He is on the chicken formula.

I would nix the free feeding and start feeding him measured meals. Free fed dogs tend to be picky eaters and it is harder to monitor their caloric intake at all. IMO, going the addition of more yummy stuff only, without changing your feeding style, is a good way to end up with what I not so effectionately call 'Toy Poodle Syndrome' where the dog won't eat anything EXCEPT all the goodies.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:
AbbyGirl352 wrote:He can't be fed anymore than he already is getting, as he is free fed. I was thinking about mixing in canned food, he will probably be more inclined to sit and eat instead of just pick at it all day. He is on the chicken formula.

I would nix the free feeding and start feeding him measured meals. Free fed dogs tend to be picky eaters and it is harder to monitor their caloric intake at all. IMO, going the addition of more yummy stuff only, without changing your feeding style, is a good way to end up with what I not so effectionately call 'Toy Poodle Syndrome' where the dog won't eat anything EXCEPT all the goodies.

:goodpost:

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:14 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Satin balls are:

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

Mixed together and serves as patties. But if his diet is balanced, he's healthy, and he's eating enough then he shouldn't need these.

Have you tried meal-training him?

WOW

I would gain weight on that too!!! haha

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Okay, I have nixed the free feeding and started feeding him seperatly from th other dog. This morning in half and hour he only ate 1/4 of a cup in 30 minutes. He also gets his other snacks through out the day, high value treats for training, a pig ear one or twice a week and his kong at "bed time" with kibble and canned food. I took th kong away yesterday and he didn't get any extra but 15 or so treats during our work on recall, in hopes that he would be hungery this morning. He didn't get any extras at all today and he ate about 1/2 a cup of food at 4:30.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Leave his measured amount of food down for 15 minutes. If he hasn't eaten it by then, take it away and try again next meal. Cut out the extra snacks for now other than those used for training. Your pup needs to learn to stop grazing so that you can accurately assess how much he's eating and go from there to help him gain some weight.

My parents dog eats an amazingly small amount of food. She will hold out for >24 hours, hoping that they will give her something better (...which they ultimately do) without touching her kibble.

Return to “Health Issues”