Thought of this question and was curious....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Thought of this question and was curious....

Postby peachesmommy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 pm

How often do you feed? And what is your feeding schedule/routine? I was talking to a friend and they thought it was odd that I feed two times a day. I said I do it because I know if I free fed she'd gorge herself. Plus I can monitor this way as well if something is off. My routine is putting dry food in her bowl and mixing in veggies or whatever I choose that day, make her sit and look at me, then set it down and leave her be. If she chooses not to eat (which she hasn't done in a loooong time) then I pick it up and repeat this at dinnertime. I don't really have set times because I get up at different times each day. So I feed usually right after she's gone out for her morning potty then about 6-8 hours after that meal unless she's pestering me wanting it a little sooner. I'm not starting a debate or anything. I was just curious about what others do as far as feeding and things.

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Re: Thought of this question and was curious....

Postby Cat24 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I feed 2-3x per day, 3x if I know I'm home all day 2x if I have to go out. I find my girls start puking up bile if not fed at least 2x per day and if free fed they'd gorge til they were back at their 19 and 120 lb states that we got them in.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Twice a day, usually 7am and 5:30pm. Everybody knows the schedule and if I'm off a beat they are not pleased.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:55 pm

twice a day unless I have a huge chunk meat that is hard to cut up and then once a day.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Otis wrote:Twice a day, usually 7am and 5:30pm. Everybody knows the schedule and if I'm off a beat they are not pleased.

:goodpost:

Same here. lol

Lucy is still a pup and should be 3 times a day they say. But with work that can't be done. She does fine with 2 times a day but as Otis said when it's feeding time...

IT'S FEEDING TIME!!!!

I have been going up and down with the amount since she is growing so fast. I had to slow down cause she was plumping a bit too much but shortly after I had to up it cause she was thinning down. I don't believe in giving a huge bowl and letting them go on a feeding frenzy. Hell if I did that for Lucy she would be 30 lbs at 4 month's. roflmao

I just give what I think she needs that includes treats and stuff that is all figured in to the mix.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Once a day, at 5 pm they both get their bowl of kibble. Brina does her happy dance when i bring the food and Jaka bolts into his crate and waits untill i put the food in there with him. About half an hour before feeding time they each take their turn reminding me what time it is by sitting close to me and staring at me lol

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Once a day at 7:00 AM (morning) Dakota gets 2 1/2 cups of his kibble. Tazzy and Buddy get 1 cup each, same kibble. (Taste of The Wild)

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Twice a day.

Between 8:30 and 9:00 or whenever Her Highness drags her tush out of bed for Grammy and between 4:30 amd 5 (4:30 sharp if you are on Veronica's schedule).

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Dogs are scavengers by nature. Free feeding deprives them of what they are naturally programmed to spend most of their waking hours doing, and can lead to all sorts of generalized anxiety problems. I'm a HUGE fan of work-to-eat puzzles and scavenge-oriented feeding. My guy gets fed usually twice a day (sometimes a mid-day bone snack) - in the morning he gets a frozen kong full of mixed up dry and wet food and the occasional chopped up veggies, and at night gets dry kibble in a work-to-eat puzzle such as a kong wobbler or tug-a-jug. We keep it varied every night so its always a suprise. Another gal I know feeds her dog by tossing kibble in the backyard and letting her dog scavenge to find her food whilest keeping the neighborhood birds that have become hip to her feeding regimen at bay. Gives the dog much more stimulation than bowl feeding, and prevents them from eating too quickly as well.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 pm

I've fed Ashes by throwing kibble before, she loves it but I rarely do the whole bowl that way-usually half. Its actually one of the ways I got her to start eating whole bowls of kibble. She used to be a picker and now she eats her full meal quickly and happily. I would either toss kibble on the floor for her to chase or toss it into her mouth. Just like a little kid she'd get her appetite working and soon go for the whole bowl.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Kibble was 2x a day
Whole prey model raw is 1x a day - I am NOT cutting a stinky, gut-filled body in half to divide feedings *blech!* lol

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:29 pm

All day and 2x a day.

In the morning he get a frozen kibble/wet food Kong. Evening he get kibble in his Woobler, Everlasting ball, Buster Cube or one of his other treat toys.
And I put his kibble in my treat bag and mark behaviours that I like throughout the day.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm

once a day..if it's kibble only out of work to eat toys. No bowls here..lol

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I feed twice a day. I never keep to a strict schedule, because if I'm ever at a show or something I may need to feed late or early. I generally give the AM food between 7-11am and PM food between 5-9pm. Vi vomits up bile if she doesn't eat twice a day. Lucy is basically free fed. She gets her measured portions put in her bowl at the same time as Vi, but she rarely eats when I put it down. Some days she eats twice, some once, others not at all. She has always been like this so I don't worry. But she has been getting better at eating when I put it down now that the kittens will steal her food if it's left in her bowl. lol Vi on the other hand, always thinks it's time to eat and if she didn't hoover up every last speck of food I'd be rushing her to the vet!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 pm

I feed twice a day and my guys get kibble. They eat usually around the same time in the morning but the evenings can totally vary depending on work, walks, weather, etc.

If Obi is having a back flare up and is on leash rest then he gets fed out of his puzzle toys.

They rarely get anything other than their kelp and medications added to their food but sometimes if I have leftover veggies I will throw them in as a surprise.

My dogs NEVER miss a meal.

Return to “Health Issues”