When can I expect Luke not to look like a lanky fool?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 am

hehehehe. Luke has always had more legs than anything else. He's looked "awkward" since he was 4 months old.

Then I THOUGHT his body was catching up with his legs, and then I awoke one morning to find that he looks lankier now than EVER.

We recently started transitioning the pups to adult food, so I don't know if this has something to do with it, but at 10 months, I'd have thought he'd be done looking lanky and awkward.

It's weird. His legs got longer or his body got leaner (can't tell which), but his tummy, sides, shoulders, and butt area are starting to get muscley-looking even though he looks so lanky and thin. He's starting to get that muscley tummy tuck and definition, and his shoulders are muscley and becoming defined (complete with the veins in his chest/shoulder area).

If it wasn't rainy and icky today, I'd get photos of him outside so that I can show you all what I'm talking about.
I was starting to get worried because anytime he's leaning over, with his nose stuck to the ground, when he breathes in, you can really see his ribs. But when standing normal, you can see muscles over/near the ribs.

I need to get photos because I cannot tell if I should be feeding him more food. I wonder if he would need more adult food than puppy food?
I'm already feeding him 1/4 cup (or a hair less) of puppy food mixed with a heaping cup of adult food.
I feed Fromm's Puppy Gold large breed and Fromm's Adult Gold.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:46 am

Dyson is in the same lanky boat. No real muscley stuff but hes thin and tall and over 80 pounds. He is 9-10 months now. Still not all sparkly white like Luke.....
I feed puppy orijen and he gets 2-3 cups 2x a day still.
I'm changing his food when this bag is done to address the pink stains. I'm also gonna bathe him.... Will then post pics.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: When can I expect Luke not to look like a lanky fool?

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 am

i think generally they stop filling out around 2, so you may have a while yet of lanky puppy :P

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

I agree with Starlamia. Scar is 2 & 1/2 and now is when he is starting to fill out. He has always been on the skinny side no matter how much or what he was fed.. but now finally he is filling in.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 am

At 10 months he is in prime time for lanky puppy awkwardness, lol. Clearly we need some pics to properly judge how long his legs are vs. his body. :thumbsup:

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Oh, I got some pictures. Turns out it was snow, not rain, so I took him out and got some photos of him.
He likes being in the snow far more than Ophie does.

I have to PP them this afternoon and then I'll post them up.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Ace, Cherry's best bud has Luke's body type and he NEVER filled out LOL. He's tall, lean and lanky. When he isn't sick, he's got great muscle tone. He just looks like a horse hahaha. He'll be 3 next month so I doubt he's going to change at all, besides a little bit of weight gain.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Arnold is an adult and although he filled out up until 3 years (I swear his head spread and his thighs grew) he's still very leggy. Much of this is suspect to very early neutering as it can be associated supposedly with lankier bodies. In the end though he grew up to be a handsome devil if you ask me and I'm sure Sir Luke will as well (though I kinda hope he's goofy all his life for pic funs :tongue: ).

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Adrianne wrote:Arnold is an adult and although he filled out up until 3 years (I swear his head spread and his thighs grew) he's still very leggy. Much of this is suspect to very early neutering as it can be associated supposedly with lankier bodies. In the end though he grew up to be a handsome devil if you ask me and I'm sure Sir Luke will as well (though I kinda hope he's goofy all his life for pic funs :tongue: ).

You know, my trainer SWEARS by the "early neuter is linked to lankier bodies" philosophy. She says it hasn't been proven, but she, personally, thinks there is some kind of connection.

Poor, Luke. He's doomed. He was neutered before he was 4 months old.

Now, Ophie? Ophie's got a rockin' bod for a dog. She always has. She's ALLLLL muscle.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Kirby was also neutered early but has always been a bit stockier and has a beefcake butt. I can't believe hes my "little" dog now. The Man keeps postulating that theres some dane in there....

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:04 pm

chewbecca wrote:
Adrianne wrote:Arnold is an adult and although he filled out up until 3 years (I swear his head spread and his thighs grew) he's still very leggy. Much of this is suspect to very early neutering as it can be associated supposedly with lankier bodies. In the end though he grew up to be a handsome devil if you ask me and I'm sure Sir Luke will as well (though I kinda hope he's goofy all his life for pic funs :tongue: ).

You know, my trainer SWEARS by the "early neuter is linked to lankier bodies" philosophy. She says it hasn't been proven, but she, personally, thinks there is some kind of connection.

Now, Ophie? Ophie's got a rockin' bod for a dog. She always has. She's ALLLLL muscle.

I had never heard this theory but it might explain why Scar is lanky. He was neutered at 5 months.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Grendel is 2 1/2 and was neutered at 18 months and is pretty lanky for an OBB.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Scarsmommy wrote:
chewbecca wrote:

I had never heard this theory but it might explain why Scar is lanky. He was neutered at 5 months.

I believe it honestly, I mean genetics play a role but I think neutering does effect growth.

Shamoo's a natural stud body too (I swear her first owner must have worked hard to make her obese!), lucky girls!

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 pm

starrlamia wrote:i think generally they stop filling out around 2, so you may have a while yet of lanky puppy :P

x2

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Ok, I took a few photos of him.
Taking photos in snow is really difficult. It's soooo hard for me to get the white balance right.
Here's a link to the posted photos.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143113

Return to “Health Issues”