pea sized lump

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

pea sized lump

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 am

maggie has a pea sized lump on the bit of skin that stretches over her 'tuck' (or where her tuck would be if she was in better shape lol).

sorry for the blurry pic, but at least it kinda shows the location.

it swells up when she runs around or gets excited, but some days it shrinks down to pretty much nothing. it's been on and off for about 2 weeks (since about christmas), and we were heading to the vets for a cartrophen shot today, so i got the vet to look at it. i assumed that she'd just stick a needle in it and figure out what it is, but she decided it would be better to remove it surgically. she listed off a couple things it could be (i don't remember them) but she did mention that it could be a mast cell tumor. hence she wanted to remove it, because sticking a needle in it would apparently just piss it off, and the lump isn't really big enough to get a decent sample anyways.

so maggie's scheduled in for surgery on monday.
anyone seen something like this before?
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: pea sized lump

Postby patty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 am

I'm no help, just wanted to send good thoughts. Seems very small, good to get rid of it!
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 am

No help here either but am keeping Maggie and you in my thoughts and prayers for a simple surgery and recovery period.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

Mast cell tumors are known to change sizes frequently... Brina's MCT did that too, it grew one day and shrunk the next day. I agree with your vet, it's best to remove it completely and then send the sample in for some additional research so you will know exactly what it is :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 am

Keep us posted about what it turns out to be. I've been reading about so many bumps lately I'm getting worried... I also have been watching a lump (just a few days so far) on Ruby's shoulder. It's soft, slightly oblong pea sized and under the skin on her shoulder... I.Don't.Like.It! but I told DH I'd watch and wait a week before I run in to the vet since we were just there a few weeks ago (and got perfect CBC panel results)... I don't like lumps!!!
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

I know, me either. I'm taking Austin into the vet on Monday because he has one too.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing to be worried about.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

yeah, both of Franny's MCT got bigger after exercise and then would go back to the "regular" size. We just had both of them snipped off - it was easier.

I'd set up a quiet x-pen area for her to recovery. We had to cut Fran off of the pain meds after a few days because she was feeling *too* good.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:42 pm

thanks for the good thoughts. i've known a few dogs lately that have had cancer, so i'm always looking for lumps n bumps. thankfully, that's not too hard with a short haired lap dog lol

FransterDoo wrote:I'd set up a quiet x-pen area for her to recovery. We had to cut Fran off of the pain meds after a few days because she was feeling *too* good.

maggie's had 4 knee surgeries, we've got recovery down to a fine art ;)
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 pm

FOUR!?!?!

holy crap!

Having found 2 of these little buggers has just reinforced my belief that keeping our dogs thin is a great thing. We found them when they were so small.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm

FransterDoo wrote:FOUR!?!?!

holy crap!

yeah, 3 on one knee, 1 on the other. it's been a loooong road.
but she's my dog, my responsibility, so i'll do what i can to fix her when she's broken.

FransterDoo wrote:Having found 2 of these little buggers has just reinforced my belief that keeping our dogs thin is a great thing. We found them when they were so small.

definately. if she was obese or had long hair, there's no way i'd notice the little lumps n bumps.
maggie's not in shape by any means, (seems like we've spent the last three years in a constant state of surgery recovery) but keeping her as slim as possible helps me see the bumps, and also helps to take weight off her crappy back end.

at the vets yesterday she weighed in at 24kg (52.9lbs), so we're slowly getting her back to a good weight. she was up to 58lbs after her last surgery, and she should sit at about 47lb. it's hard to take weight off a broken dog!
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 am

due to a cockup in the scheduling, maggie's going in on wednesday (instead of today) to have her lump removed.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am

Pooey on the waiting...
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 pm

dropped maggie off this morning. she was happy as all hell to be there and get some attention from the tech.
if she's doing well under sedation, they're going to xray her while she's under. she hasn't had xrays since her last knee surgery (almost a year ago), so i'd like to see how things are healing up. they're also going to have a look at her teeth and a general inspection while they're at it.
it's like taking your car in for an oil change and getting a 50 point inspection lol
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Best thoughts for the poor girl, she must be a pro at surgery now!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:21 pm

Adrianne wrote:Best thoughts for the poor girl, she must be a pro at surgery now!

thanks. unfortunately, yes, she's a pro at surgery. not really a skill i wanted her to develop lol

i just talked to the vet. apparently all went well. sample's being sent off to the lab, maggie's still groggy, so i'll be picking her up at 4pm (2hrs from now).

unfortunately, they're having some issues with their digital xray machine. the xrays they got of her knees weren't great, but they were good enough for the vet to see that nothing's drastically wrong. on the plus side, i won't be charged for them!
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Next

Return to Health Issues