Dawn dish soap?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Dawn dish soap?

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:46 am

I was at the shelter a few days ago and two flew covered kittens came in. The shelter's groomers took care of them using Dawn dish soap, and the flees just fell off. I've heard about it being used for a long time now, but I hadn't seen it used in person.

But is it safe? I'd like to know in case I end up taking in a stray in the future.

Adrianne

Re: Dawn dish soap?

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 am

yup perfectly safe, I have used it a few times and the babies grew up to be happy healthy monsters.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Yep, though it doesn't just have to be Dawn dish soap. Any plain jane dish soap will work.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Yep, it's likely simply the lather that suffocates fleas rather than any ingredient in Dawn. The key is to leave the lather on for 3-5 minutes to make sure the fleas are dead. Of course, you would need to use again in about three days or so to kill newly hatched fleas. Seems it would be a never ending cycle if all you used was Dawn (or whichever dish washing liquid) to control fleas.

Another thing to consider too, is how healthy the dish washing liquid is for the skin and coat. After all, Dawn cuts grease and grim (or whatever their slogan is) and that would lead me to believe that it would likely remove lots of essential oils necessary for healthy skin and coat, from the dog. I wouldn't want to use it frequently.

But yes, I'm a big fan of Dawn and it's all I use ... for washing dishes.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Its the lemon actually that repels the fleas I believe. Citrus is a natural flea deterrent. Supposedly you can just use plain out lemon water (boiled water over lemon rinds) and you'll get the same effect but I've never tried it.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Adrianne wrote:Its the lemon actually that repels the fleas I believe. Citrus is a natural flea deterrent. Supposedly you can just use plain out lemon water (boiled water over lemon rinds) and you'll get the same effect but I've never tried it.

repelling and killing are two different things. The Dawn I use doesn't have lemon in it either. I did a google for Dawn+fleas and found a plethora of links confirming the use of Dawn to kill fleas but not one link mentioned lemon.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about lemon ... I just did see any reference to it associated with the use of Dawn dish washing liquid and killing fleas. I did find several comments concerning the fact that soap lather suffocates fleas.

I didn't get an "A" in science, so I have to listen to other folks about this stuff lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Be VERY careul using anything with "essential oils" on cats. They are incredibly sensitive to things like lemon oil, pine oil, and the like...

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 pm

JoeBingo wrote:
Adrianne wrote:Its the lemon actually that repels the fleas I believe. Citrus is a natural flea deterrent. Supposedly you can just use plain out lemon water (boiled water over lemon rinds) and you'll get the same effect but I've never tried it.

repelling and killing are two different things. The Dawn I use doesn't have lemon in it either. I did a google for Dawn+fleas and found a plethora of links confirming the use of Dawn to kill fleas but not one link mentioned lemon.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about lemon ... I just did see any reference to it associated with the use of Dawn dish washing liquid and killing fleas. I did find several comments concerning the fact that soap lather suffocates fleas.

I didn't get an "A" in science, so I have to listen to other folks about this stuff lol

Thing is.. in my experience it isn't as much killing the fleas, or maybe a combination, I have seen the fleas literally jump off puppies and dive for the safety of my sink in my own hands while washing them with good old fashion lemon dawn.

Dunno, could be any type of soap that works and an old wives tale but I was always taught that lemon works best. :huh?:

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:06 pm

We have always used Dawn soap on our dogs when we get a flea outbreak.. but leave it only for those occasions.. it also has worked well for us when they get oil on them from trying to hide under the cars. We never use it as a regular shampoo to be used frequently though.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm

For some reason what I heard was always BLUE Dawn dish soap. It was always specifically blue, and I've always recommended it because of that. I've only had to use it once on a kitten, but it didn't get all of them off. JoeBingo is correct in that it does strip the coat.

Supposedly Dawn has a more "natural" formula that works better than actual flea shampoo and it's less damaging. Something about organic make up .. I don't know, it's what I heard. It worked pretty well, but I've never had to use it on my dogs.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I use Dawn Dish Soap to bathe my rats. :))

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I use Dawn dish soap to wash vegetable oil off the dogs. I used the vegetable oil to get pine sap out of their fur. I definitely wouldn't use it frequently.

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Dawn dish soap works for everything! Lol

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Flibgit wrote:I use Dawn dish soap to wash vegetable oil off the dogs. I used the vegetable oil to get pine sap out of their fur. I definitely wouldn't use it frequently.

roflmao
Sounds like a fun afternoon!

We used dawn dish soap now and then at the humane society when we had newborn flea-infested kittens, too young for Revolution.

Caution though. We used the dark green kind and ended up with a litter of green kittens after their baths! lol

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
Caution though. We used the dark green kind and ended up with a litter of green kittens after their baths! lol

LOL funny, so it can be used for hair dye too? Awesome!

Return to “Health Issues”