my cat - this is strange - pics

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

my cat - this is strange - pics

Postby brunomom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Ok, so about 4 months ago I noticed that some dark spots were appearing on my cat's gums and nose. At first it was just one. Then another and so on. He is almost 2 years old. This came out of nowhere. Do you guys think it's just pigmentation? Nothing to worry about? The first time I saw them when there were many of them I thought they were fleas! No "new" marks have shown up in about 6 weeks. It just seems very strange and I finally got a photo to see what some other pet lovers thought.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: my cat - this is strange - pics

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 am

from what Ive read it's pretty normal (googling cat with black spots on gums actual yields results lol)

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 am

I had a foster cat who had that once but it was accompanied by chin acne. Switching to a stainless steel bowl for him helped a lot.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 am

starrlamia wrote:from what Ive read it's pretty normal (googling cat with black spots on gums actual yields results lol)

Wow....would have never thought to even look! lol

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

Well geez....you were right! Apparently it's very common in orange tabbies (which he is) and will continue with age. Very interesting!

From About.com

Question: Why does my orange tabby have black spots on his nose and lips?
A common question (and worry) of cat owners relates to black spots that just seem to "appear" on the lips, nose and eye margins, especially on orange colored cats. What is this, and are these spots something to worry about? Find out in this FAQ.
Answer: This condition is seen in many cats, especially orange tabbies or calico cats. Most often the spots appear in middle-aged to older cats. Owners usually notice the small black spots on the lips or nose first; only to worry as more dots appear and some grow a bit larger.
The most common answer for black spots appearing on your cats lips, nose, or eye margins is that it is a condition called lentigo simplex, and it is not a form of cancer. In fact, it is completely harmless, just like human freckles. That said, one cannot assume that any black spot on your pet is harmless, this is just the most common scenario for orange colored cats.

This condition is characterized by small (1mm or less) lesions that may appear close together, discoloring a larger area. The lesions are flat, are not painful or itchy, and do not have any associated redness or other discoloration.

Please check in with your veterinarian It is always wise to check out any new finding with your veterinarian to rule out something serious, especially if the spots are at all raised, inflamed or causing your pet discomfort. There are many conditions of the nose and lips that are more serious. Your vet can provide a hands-on exam to guide your pet's care.

If your cat is one to "freckle," expect more of them as s/he ages!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am

Yep :) Just "age spots".

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

The same thing happened with one of my white cats. When I got her as a kitten she was 100% white, but as she grew and got older, a black spot showed up on her nose. It started really small at first but is now quite large. All of my other cats have some amount of black fur so we just joke that it's her way of fitting in with the others lol

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm

buckaroo wrote:I had a foster cat who had that once but it was accompanied by chin acne. Switching to a stainless steel bowl for him helped a lot.

Yup, this is one of Miss Pandora's many ailments. Black spots and chin acne, to boot! Poor girl. She seems so old, even though she can't be more than four or five.

Return to “Health Issues”