Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 am

I have been feeding by the cupful adjusting to her needs and keeping Lucy in the right shape. The vet today say's she is just right not too fat or too skinny. So I have been doing good. :thumbsup: :clap

The tech than after being questioned on how much to feed suggested to feed her by filling the bowl and let them eat all they can for 15 min than take it away. That was for puppies, that is what they believe. I have heard this many times but than again I have also heard that measured amounts would be better. I'm not too sure I'm on board with the "fill the bowl - 15 min" thing. Lucy is very food motivated, she might eat the whole tub if I let her. :wow lol

Right now with my method she is doing great. What do you do and what do you think about what the tech suggested.

They love Lucy there but they may despise me just a tiny bit. lol I'm sure they get annoyed with all the questions I ask and when I debate them on their theories (I come in with a list of questions). Stupid educated customers they always want to change things. roflmao

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:08 pm

I feed by the cup. Bentley gets about 3.5-4cups a day and is SKINNY! He was too skinny for me during Dec. while he was sick, but is fine again. Not sure how much he weighs, I'm guessing at 9months right now, about 45lbs.

When he was younger I fed him a cup for bfast, lunch, and dinner. Now he gets a cup and half to two in the morning, and about a cup and half to two at night.

I think it's best to feed by the cup, and to ajdust accordingly.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanx Trex.

A little more info. We just came back from the vet and she is 16 lbs that is up 4 lbs from 2 weeks ago. She is 13 weeks old today or 3 months 1 week if you will.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I also wanted to say that I know what you mean about Lucy eating the whole tub, I'm sure Bentley would do the same if I let him lol

I've actually never heard of the whole 15 minutes thing, but I don't doubt that it exists.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:36 pm

15 minutes is a long time to eat! My dogs take about 2 minutes if that to put down a bowl of plain kibble, longer if its floated. I guess they're talking puppies, but I've definitely seen some puppies eat quickly!

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Otis wrote:15 minutes is a long time to eat! My dogs take about 2 minutes if that to put down a bowl of plain kibble, longer if its floated. I guess they're talking puppies, but I've definitely seen some puppies eat quickly!

Which is what I am thinking she will have a cup of food gone in no time.

I may try an experiment with more food (not a full bowl) to see how much she will eat later. I will monitor her to make sure doesn't blow up. lol

Their theory is that they will gorge at first than settle back to a rhythm. Like a kid with ice cream. Sounds crazy to me but I could be wrong. Which is why I am asking. We never stop learning.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 pm

You have to be careful with vets - many of them think that overweight and fat dogs are "normal" or "just right". The vet that I go to was smiling ear-to-ear at Keela's weight/figure - and she's not conditioned or anything. The ones who know what a dog should look like get excited when they actually see one in shape - because it's just so rare. lol

I think measuring and rationing a growing pup's food is the way to go - as long as you know what a too skinny or too fat pup looks like. Not all dogs/pups will stop eating when they've "had enough". :)

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Re: Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Postby Chasesdad » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 pm

gixxerific wrote:
Otis wrote:15 minutes is a long time to eat! My dogs take about 2 minutes if that to put down a bowl of plain kibble, longer if its floated. I guess they're talking puppies, but I've definitely seen some puppies eat quickly!

Which is what I am thinking she will have a cup of food gone in no time.

I may try an experiment with more food (not a full bowl) to see how much she will eat later. I will monitor her to make sure doesn't blow up. lol

Their theory is that they will gorge at first than settle back to a rhythm. Like a kid with ice cream. Sounds crazy to me but I could be wrong. Which is why I am asking. We never stop learning.

Chase would eat until he exploded if I let him, he is always hungry. Like a garbage disposal too, he can eat a double cheeseburger ( his favorite treat) in about 3 seconds. No chewing just getting it into his mouth and swallowing! Lol...

I feed him 4 cups if you measure it out, daily. He has been doing so good getting back in shape from running with me and whatnot.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm

BA I am pretty sure my Vet knows what they should look like. but I feel what you are saying.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Its very dog-dependent. My old GSD free fed and was never an ounce overweight. He had that big auto-feeder.
Hoover came along and that went out the door. My current two dogs might do ok free feeding, they are mighty eager to eat but sometimes leave food in their dishes. Not very often tho..... However Kirby is food aggressive for sure and Dyson might be, so no food is left down, ever.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Our old guy could have a bowl full all day long, and he'd eat as he pleased, we never had weight issues with him and we allowed him to free feed because it worked and was never an issue...until we got the dog who would eat herself to death.

Literally. 18lb dog, who devoured about 6 pounds of cat and dog food in less than 5 mins. Ended up with pancreatitis after that little exploit. She'd have finished off both bags if she'd had time and our friend who was watching her didn't catch them after they knocked the food down.

Feeding time here lasts MAYBE a minute for all three. Beagle has her food down in less than 30 seconds, pups take slightly longer, likely coming in around 45 seconds. It's an all out feeding frenzy at breakfast and dinner time around here. Food and slobber go flying, dogs are spinning circles and prancing. Hectic two minutes to get bowls down and emptied lol

Pretty sure the pups would way over eat too. Right now they each get 2 2/3 cups of food a day, split into two meals. Beagle gets just under half a cup twice a day.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:24 pm

If I were to let Gypsy, Umah, and Marsha free feed for 15 minutes....oh gosh, Gypsy could probably hork down 1/4 of the bag, same with Umah, and Marsha could probably get down at least three cups.

So, my dogs are always fed measured amounts lol I will increase or decrease the amounts depending on our activity for the day, too.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 pm

I measure...well Khan is on raw, but I still kind of measure that too.

I measure the cats food as well. They get 6oz a day (wet food) split into 2-4 meals. My kitten gets to eat as much as she wants. Mostly because it is supposed to be double what the adults get and it is too much of a pain to measure. So I just give her more if she is still at her dish and her food is gone. As she gets older I notice that she is eating less. When she is 1 I will go to measuring like I do for the adults.

I don't know if Khan would gorge or not. He has never seemed crazy about food, although he is now that he is on raw! I have one cat though who would eat me out of house and home if he could open the fridge and cupboard. i had to put a magnetic child lock on the treat/food cupboard to keep him out lol

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 pm

I measure it out, otherwise they would eat the whole bag, probably. They eat their whole meal in two minutes, I can't imagine how much they could cram in 15 minutes.
I have heard that 15 minutes thing, but more as a suggestion for those finicky eaters to take up their food if they don't eat it in 15 minutes.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Both of my dogs would eat until their heads explode.
They get measured amounts as per their individual needs

Return to “Health Issues”