Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Re: Do you feed measured amounts or let them gourge?

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Choco would definitely make himself sick or fat if he was free fed.
My friend's Chihuahua and Poodleish dog have been free fed their whole lives and they are both healthy weights.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Keela was only fed once a day up until 9.5 weeks old - so she was/is a glutton when it comes to food. She sucks it down like a vaccuum. She's much better with the whole raw - but kibble disappears like it was never there.

It may have something to do with how they were fed as babies - poor girl :(

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Do you feed measured amounts or let them gorge?

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 am

I think I will stay with measured amounts. That is how I have always done it.

I tried something with Lucy this morning and gave her 2 even cups of food. To see if she would stop halfway through, NOT she ate the whole thing and fast. I normally gave her and overflowing cup twice a day and 1/2 to 1/3 cup for lunch sometimes. I may have to up her amount though since she is growing so fast. 4 lbs in 2 weeks is quit a bit i would think.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 am

4 pounds in 2 weeks is a lot. It might not hurt to increase her meals a bit, though the ultimate guide is how the dog looks. Skinny- feed more. Fat- feed less.

My dogs would eat a scary amount of food in 15 minutes. Their food is measured, and always has been.

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Postby JoeBingo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:04 am

Sarah wrote:Skinny- feed more. Fat- feed less.

I even go so far as to weigh out the portions fed twice a day, on digital kitchen scales. That way, if I need to adjust how much they're getting, I can do so precisely, so as not to gain or loose too much over a given period of time.

What I do loose track of is how many doggie biscuits they get between meals.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Do you feed measured amounts or let them gorge?

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:47 am

I think Lucy looks good. I will be watching her and giving her a little more. You can see here ribs and she has that good big rib area with the slim area by her hind legs. She may be just a little chubby in the belly. I am really not worried if she gets a little chubby since she will grow into it with no problem.

Here is a pic from the weekend tell me what you all think.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:39 pm

She looks fine. She's just a baby. She might have a little pudge, but babies do. Mine generally go from a bit pudgy to a bit lean a few times during their development.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Sarah wrote:She looks fine. She's just a baby. She might have a little pudge, but babies do. Mine generally go from a bit pudgy to a bit lean a few times during their development.

I feel ya. And really as they say a pic adds 10 lbs, She looks a lot better in real lfe than in that pic. :thumbsup:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I always measure their meals, i weight the food every time before i put it down for the dogs. I don't even want to know what would happen if i would free feed them, i think their stomachs would pop before they would stop eating.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am

I would never let any dog free feed.
I measure mine out by eye,never weigh the amount,and adjust by looking at the dog,I generally only weigh the dogs once a year too,for their wormers,I do every thing by eye.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:51 am

Otis wrote:15 minutes is a long time to eat! My dogs take about 2 minutes if that to put down a bowl of plain kibble, longer if its floated. I guess they're talking puppies, but I've definitely seen some puppies eat quickly!

Dakota will down his 2 1/2 cups in under a minute! So we feed him in a muffin tin, it slows him down a lot thankfully, makes him stop and chew.

I measure mine out, I am not a fan of free feeding. Not only is it bad for the health, I always here "We can't get our dog to work for a treat." Every time I heard this and I ask how they are fed they usually say, "Oh well, we let her/him eat whenever they want."

I am happy with Dakota's weight, Tazzy could use a few less pounds but he isn't over weight. Buddy is getting his portion cut down, he needs to loose some fat....I can't exercise him outside right now, it's wet and muddy...He's a Dachshund, our backyard is a puddle....At one point he had to swim through it. lol

Dakota - 2 1/2 once a day
Tazzy and Buddy - 1 cup once a day.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Liberty would eat until she exploded. She once licked a litter box clean. Literally. It must've been about 5lb of wheat litter (and uh... other things) and she ate every last bit. She was swollen and pooping bizarre sawdust for three days.

I don't measure carefully, I just fill work-to-eat toys. Liberty gets one large, Oscar gets a large and something else (small or large depending on how his weight looks) but I do adjust more or less if they lose or gain weight, and my animals DON"T get treats between meals, other than specific training periods (which often take the place of meals entirely)

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 am

We feed Toby 4 cups a day - unless we are showing/working him, at which point he goes to 3-3.5 cups a day.

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 am

We feed raw. I generally give them a rough estimate of what I think they should eat. Both will walk away if they're full though. If they finish their meal quickly and seem to be looking for more, I'll give them more at the next meal. I have been known to give them a huge portion because I'm too lazy to cut a venison leg into pieces and they eat until they're full and leave the rest for later.

I was SHOCKED the first time Andre walked away from food. Amber's always self-regulated, even on kibble. I'd give her a cup of food 2 times a day and sometimes she'd eat, sometimes she wouldn't.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Amie wrote:Liberty would eat until she exploded. She once licked a litter box clean. Literally. It must've been about 5lb of wheat litter (and uh... other things) and she ate every last bit. She was swollen and pooping bizarre sawdust for three days.

:wow :wow I must have missed that adventure of Lib.

Return to “Health Issues”