Trust your Vet to spay or go with the cheapo clinic?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Trust your Vet to spay or go with the cheapo clinic?

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I know I have differences with some of the (minor) things that go on with my Vet. But they are very good people and hell they saved my Lucy's life from Parvo. I owe them one. :thumbsup: :bowdown: :bowdown: :inlove: They were great with Maya as well. Not too mention they are VERY pro-Pit Bull.

So Lucy is ready to spay in a few weeks. They want to charge $180. We are very broke right now. Counting every penny, things will come around but right now things are tight. I know you can go to the shelter clinics or whatever and get a spay for cheap. But is it worth it to cheap out on your dogs health for a few bucks. I love Lucy very much and want the best for her. I know and trust my Vet would do a fine job with no problems, cause if they mess her up I burn that mother down. lol :cool:. The clinic I am not so sure about they would more than likely do a good job. But than again it is cheap for a reason. What reason is that? :aha:

We are on a time based dilemma here as I would like to get her spayed before her first heat.

That being said my Vet did give me half off the Parvo treatment which was quite substantial. Maybe I could work a deal.

So what are you opinions on Vet Vs Clinic?

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Trust your Vet to spay or go with the cheapo clinic?

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 pm

They're cheap so that people don't have a reason to say, ''sorry my dog got pregnant/got another dog pregnant, i couldn't afford to get him/her speutered.'' i mean really, the shelters offer things like that so that people who can't afford them, can. just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's not going to be done correctly. you would think that a low cost spay/neuter clinic would do MORE than the regular vets office just because it is so cheap, and because people are down with this economy. i'm pretty sure that a lot of times vets offer to come and do these for free for the shelters, so it's not someone who doesn't know what they're doing...

i wouldn't see anything wrong with taking lucy to the low cost clinic, most of the time you can find pitbulls/pitbull mixes can be done for free. i plan to have bentley done for free when he's about 13months. i have talked to my regular vet about it, and they want close to 300$. although i know they'd do a super job, i also know the low cost clinic will do the same thing for free.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 pm

it depends--

one vet that works at the low-cost, high-volume S/N clinic I worked at now works at another animal shelter with a 2nd shelter vet. she is AMAZING and i trust her entirely. if i could, she would not only be my dog's regular vet but also handle all my own medical care in a one-stop medical extravaganza. in both shelter S/N clinics i have experience with, they don't do bloodwork and thus only operate on young, apparently healthy animals from the public; they do not keep the animals overnight, and IME have very few complications, and most don't even need cones. the spay scars are TINY so they do a little tattoo, as well, to indicate the animal is spayed. they are put on a few days of tramadol or metacam, will extract retained teeth, do microchipping under anesthesia for a nominal added fee, etc.

now, one vet's office (a private vet's office) did some spays where the dog nearly died-- he didn't properly tie the uterine stumps and so one day i found a dog in a kennel FULL OF BLOOD (and i am not the kind of person that counts a few drops of blood as a lot, but this-- was a LOT) and she needed emergency repair surgery with a different vet to stop the bleeding. we no longer send or refer people to this vet office for spays.

another private vet's office just did laser neuter surgeries on a bunch of our dogs and nearly every dog has needed a cone because they are ALL fussing with their neuter sites. one dog in a cone managed to rupture the incision site due to activity. i don't know what the 2 shelter vets are doing differently but we just don't have the post-op problems with them in the same quantities.

however-- i am SURE there are shelter vets that i wouldn't trust. and there are definitely private vets that i love and would trust wholeheartedly to treat my animal. $180 is very cheap for a private-vet spay here in CA; does that include bloodwork? an overnight stay? pain meds after surgery? How much does the low-cost clinic cost? call around-- call the local shelter and see what they say, if they recommend anywhere or avoid anywhere....

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Don't worry about "Vet vs. Clinic"
You need to look at the actual individual who will be doing the operation - what is their win/loss record? Have they effed up many times in the past? Start asking around now. :)

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:49 pm

They (my Vet) does blood work and an overnight stay. They are very good surgeons. They will do it up right. He is a top notch guy that is very passionate about animals, he even does a radio program as well as work in the community for animals (Pit Bulls in general but all animals) as well as rescue and adoptions. He is one hell of a guy. If $180 sounds cheap than I may just go there and sleep good that night. I have never seen an unhappy customer in there when I'm there.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:51 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Don't worry about "Vet vs. Clinic"
You need to look at the actual individual who will be doing the operation - what is their win/loss record? Have they effed up many times in the past? Start asking around now. :)

exactly!

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Go to your vet. Cheap spay/neuter resources are best left available for people who could never afford to have it done or wouldn't if it weren't extremely cheap. They'll do a more thorough job at your regular vet because most low cost places don't do bloodwork or pain meds afterwards.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Also wouldn't hurt to set up a payment plan with your vet, if they will accept that, or apply for Care Credit.
That way you still support them with your business but you aren't dead broke and on the streets beggin' for puppy kibble!

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Like everyone says, it depends on the actual vet and staff involved with the surgery. In general though, a low cost place is NOT giving you the same service as a regular vet. A lot of time the higher cost is due to the fact that the regular vet will do bloodwork, monitor them better while under anesthesia, and use good pain medication (yes there are low cost places that do not use pain medication - some do and some don't).

I am definitely not knocking low cost places and have worked / volunteered at two low cost surgery clinics. Doing high volume surgery usually does mean you have an experienced and fast surgeon which benefits the animal. That said, when I had my rabbit spayed I took her to a private vet and paid $280 because I felt she would be safer at her regular vet, based on my experience with them and with the low cost place I was working.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 pm

I would be very nervous about trusting an unfamiliar vet to do a major surgery like that. And $180 is cheap. I'm getting ready to get Tess spayed, and my quote from my regular vet is $447 (which is admittedly expensive for the area). Though I'm considering going elsewhere, and spending even more, to have a laparascopic spay performed.

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Re: Trust your Vet to spay or go with the cheapo clinic?

Postby Chasesdad » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Sarah wrote:I would be very nervous about trusting an unfamiliar vet to do a major surgery like that. And $180 is cheap. I'm getting ready to get Tess spayed, and my quote from my regular vet is $447 (which is admittedly expensive for the area). Though I'm considering going elsewhere, and spending even more, to have a laparascopic spay performed.

X2 I would be weary about doing it at some random vet also. Even though they are all supposed to know what they're doing. Right? Haha

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

It really depends.
I took my Golden to our regular vet, paid $400 and had her stitches pop 2 hours after we picked her up (she had zero activity between the pickup and stitches popping).
Where as the rescue I foster for has had 300+ dogs go to one low cost clinic and I have never had nor heard of a problem ever occurring.
I do, however, hate when people who can afford the surgery to go the low cost clinic. They are booked up 6 months in advance and is really there for rescues and people who really need it, not for people who are cheap.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:16 pm

MissKitty wrote:It really depends.
I took my Golden to our regular vet, paid $400 and had her stitches pop 2 hours after we picked her up (she had zero activity between the pickup and stitches popping).
Where as the rescue I foster for has had 300+ dogs go to one low cost clinic and I have never had nor heard of a problem ever occurring.
I do, however, hate when people who can afford the surgery to go the low cost clinic. They are booked up 6 months in advance and is really there for rescues and people who really need it, not for people who are cheap.

x1000

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Sarah wrote:I would be very nervous about trusting an unfamiliar vet to do a major surgery like that. And $180 is cheap. I'm getting ready to get Tess spayed, and my quote from my regular vet is $447 (which is admittedly expensive for the area). Though I'm considering going elsewhere, and spending even more, to have a laparascopic spay performed.

:goodpost:

Around here, even $447 is cheap.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:33 pm

$180 for bloodwork, spay and an overnight! That is seriously cheap!

Return to “Health Issues”