mystery diagnosis...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

mystery diagnosis...

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 am

I don't come here much anymore...but someone on another forum made a post this morning that has awakened my morbid curiosity and now I just *have* to know the answer...

They had to put their 6 year old dog down after it became suddenly ill. They took her to an e-vet but were told they could not use pain meds until test results were back in several days. The owner made the choice to euth. rather than allow the dog to suffer. Apparently extreme pain was one of the symptoms.

The owner is convinced the dog somehow got into rat poison. Having lost a dog to rat poison several years ago, the symptoms she described seemed in some ways to match what I've read, but they're similar to symptoms described in other issues.

I'm going to describe the symptoms in the hopes that someone can point me in the right direction.

She vomited her breakfast soon after eating it, but otherwise behaved normally. Owner went to work.

Came home from work to find multiple piles of vomit ranging from food bearing, to water, to foam and some of it had "what looked like a bit of blood in it". Found dog lying amidst more puddles of vomit.

Dog could "barely get up the stairs" when asked if she wanted to go outside, then dog pees and the owner describes it as "...straight BLOOD coming out of her."

Owner calls cab for a ride to e-vet, and notices a "lump in her throat" that "kept getting larger", and that her eyes were becoming bloodshot.

She also mentions that the dog can't sit or stand, which she attributes to "horrible pain in her stomach".

Any ideas? Could the lump in the throat have been a hemmorage? (One of the symptoms of rat poison)?

The vomiting and stomach pain could be a ton of things...intestinal obstructions come to mind. But the peeing blood and lump in throat don't fit with that.

Except for the throat lump...the symptoms are similar to parvo, but at 6 years it's pretty doubtful that parvo would have hit her that hard and that fast...plus no diarhea.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: mystery diagnosis...

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 pm

The way to solve the mystery is with a necropsy... Otherwise we will never know.

It could have been poison, liver disease, intestinal obstruction, Lyme, autoimmune, or many other possibilities... Were stays taken?

Return to “Health Issues”