Bad infection and huge abscess on neck, please help!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Muttkip
Matured Bully

Bad infection and huge abscess on neck, please help!

Postby Muttkip » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 pm

My Westie currently has an abscess on his neck from when him and Beau got into a really bad fight. It's the size of a tennis ball, I was out of state when this happened, I just got home Monday from out of state. My mom said she didn't notice it until when I got back. So far I've shaved the area and scrubbed it with warm water and sea salt. It started to drain infection as soon as I shaved the area. There is also bruising and several puncture holes. But only one is badly infected but it's the abscess, I'm worried about.

He has a vet appointment at 10 am tomorrow, but I'm worried because we literally have no money right now, I know my vet does do payments which helps. And I'm going to see if we can qualify for care credit. But I'm still worried.

He's also not eating much either, so far the only things we can get him to eat are lunch meats and beggin strips. So I'm thinking some nice smelly wet food will solve that easy.

Also please do not jump on me about not taking him to the vet sooner, he is NOT my dog, he's my mom's. We are strapped for cash right now and doing the best we can. This vet bill will most likely be cutting into whatever money we have for bills. So please again don't jump all over for this.

So any ideas of what I can do and what the vet might recommend?

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Re: Bad infection and huge abscess on neck, please help!

Postby Muttkip » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 pm

*My mom's Westie

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm

They'll probably lance and drain the abscess if needed and maybe prescribe some antibiotics.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

IF it's an abcess, you can do a warm compress. Even as simply as a towl soaked and re soaked in warm water and heald on the place several times a day. You want drainage. Keep it open. Clean it with betadine or chlorhexadine. Maybe apply arnica... IDK
Since it is open and draining I would consider antibiotics. Thinking like a horse person, if it wasn't open and draining, antibiotics would slow down the "popping" and thus the drainage. I would go to your vet.. which you are. And that is a good thing

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:38 pm

IF it's an abcess, you can do a warm compress. Even as simply as a towl soaked and re soaked in warm water and heald on the place several times a day. You want drainage. Keep it open. Clean it with betadine or chlorhexadine. Maybe apply arnica... IDK
Since it is open and draining I would consider antibiotics. Thinking like a horse person, if it wasn't open and draining, antibiotics would slow down the "popping" and thus the drainage. I would go to your vet.. which you are. And that is a good thing

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Here's some pictures of it:

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 pm

poor dog... probably needs antis and pain killers...

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:37 pm

I feel a little better now, I FINALLY got him to eat something!

Of course it was Campbell's chicken noodle soup mixed with an egg and 1/2 cup of his normal dogfood. But atleast it's something in his stomach.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Poor buddy.

It actually wont hurt him NOT to eat, especially since he will need to go under for surgery tomorrow morning, chances are. Is he still drinking water?

I don't see any open wounds on his neck, but my eyes are really blurry today (stayed up too late lol ) otherwise I'd suggest wrapping it with honey. It wont do any good on a closed absess though.

Good luck and I hope your approved for carecredit.

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Libby wrote:Poor buddy.

It actually wont hurt him NOT to eat, especially since he will need to go under for surgery tomorrow morning, chances are. Is he still drinking water?

I don't see any open wounds on his neck, but my eyes are really blurry today (stayed up too late lol ) otherwise I'd suggest wrapping it with honey. It wont do any good on a closed absess though.

Good luck and I hope your approved for carecredit.

The wounds are open and yes he is drinking water when offered to him. I have a hot rag on neck right now under a collar and he's laying down in his crate.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Abscesses are deep infections... Your pup probably has a fever which is making him feel crummy and not want to eat. Your vet will likely prescribe some antibiotics and possibly warm compresses or flushing. Each cases is different and a lot of it is a judgement call. Depending on the severity your pup may need surgery to facilitate drainage.

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 pm

So I haven't been able to get him to the vet yet, our car broke down, so he goes to the vet Monday, but while I was giving him a bath, I felt some scabbing on his back. I thought that maybe Beau had gotten him there as well, so I shaved him and found out his allergies are worse then I thought

Also so everyone knows, the two dogs have been on crate and rotate for the last three years and this fight was the result of a slip up on the crate and rotate. Normally these two don't even see each other at all. But accidents happen....and this is proof that it can happen with ANY breed of dog not just Bulldogs.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 pm

ooof... I wouldn't wait until monday for that... there's just something not quite right with the redness of those skin lumps...

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm

can't you get him to a vet anysooner?
abscesses are VERY painful and with infection raging in his system like that he could become septic (which can kill him)

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

The soonest we could get was Monday :/

Return to “Health Issues”