What do you feed your dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cliff
Newborn Bully

What do you feed your dog?

Postby cliff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong place... this is my first post. :hi

Anyways, I was just wondering for future reference what everyone feeds their dog. My Doberman gets a mixture of Blue Buffalo and raw, but I was wondering what works best (in your experience) for your pibbles. I don't know much about their nutritional needs. Do they have a tendency toward sensitivity to anything in specific?

So, that's all, and any answers are greatly appreciated!

JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Re: What do you feed your dog?

Postby JoeBingo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 am

Hi Cliff and Welcome. I read your intoduction and know that you don't yet own a pit bull but would like to learn as much as possible about them before you do and I appreciate that. Excellent.

Just remember that all dogs are individuals and what works for one, may or may not work for another. I guess that's one reason there are so many choices out there. It sounds like you are already using a good high quality kibble so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Have you had a chance to check out the sticky threads at the top of this (Health Issues) forum? If not, you can find several threads with many pages of nutritional advice and opinions. Here is one such thread with ... Holy Cow ... 52 pages and the thread topic is "Top 5 Foods" ~ viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23039

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 am

I feed Blue Wilderness and Raw and have had amazing results with my boy. But it really depends on what suits the individual dog.

cliff
Newborn Bully

Postby cliff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks Joe, I missed that thread! I did read the BARF and 'What not to feed' threads but I didn't see that one.

MissKitty, if you don't mind my asking, what is the difference between regular Blue and Blue Wilderness?

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 am

Wilderness is their high protein/low carb line of food. I would not use it for every dog because of the high protein, but it is the only food I tried that has really worked for Apollo.
He is very active and since switching to BW he has bulked up and his energy level boosted. I LOVE Blue Buffalo.

And :welcome:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 am

RAW

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Just switched to taste of the wild... So far so good but I don't pass judgement until three months have passed.

cliff
Newborn Bully

Postby cliff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

MissKitty wrote:Wilderness is their high protein/low carb line of food. I would not use it for every dog because of the high protein, but it is the only food I tried that has really worked for Apollo.
He is very active and since switching to BW he has bulked up and his energy level boosted. I LOVE Blue Buffalo.

Thanks, I didn't know that. And thanks for the welcome. :)

FBODGRL, Prey model or BARF? I don't really like BARF because I don't think dogs need veggies/sups, but I'm not ready to switch to raw yet.

I will have to consider TOTW, I hear good things about it!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Dogs, wolves, foxes, coyotes...

all of the above are omnivores, not carnivores.

Veggies and supplements are a good thing!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 pm

cliff wrote:
MissKitty wrote:Wilderness is their high protein/low carb line of food. I would not use it for every dog because of the high protein, but it is the only food I tried that has really worked for Apollo.

Thanks, I didn't know that. And thanks for the welcome. :)

FBODGRL, Prey model or BARF? I don't really like BARF because I don't think dogs need veggies/sups, but I'm not ready to switch to raw yet.

I will have to consider TOTW, I hear good things about it!

Prey model 80/10/10 no veggies at all. Only RMB, muscle meat and organ. I do use a probiotic (we are still kind of new to raw, so it helps when adding new stuff), fish oil/vitamin e and Osteo Bi flex(luxating patella)

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I am feeding Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lovers Soul at the moment but will try something else next time. Though no real problems with Chicken Soup yet. She looks good and great energy good looking coat. I just want to see if something else suits her better.

cliff
Newborn Bully

Postby cliff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Prey model 80/10/10 no veggies at all. Only RMB, muscle meat and organ. I do use a probiotic (we are still kind of new to raw, so it helps when adding new stuff), fish oil/vitamin e and Osteo Bi flex(luxating patella)

What is the fish oil for? Omega 3s?

gixxerific wrote:I am feeding Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lovers Soul at the moment but will try something else next time. Though no real problems with Chicken Soup yet. She looks good and great energy good looking coat. I just want to see if something else suits her better.

Does Chicken Soup have multiple protein sources/"flavors"?

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 am

cliff wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Prey model 80/10/10 no veggies at all. Only RMB, muscle meat and organ. I do use a probiotic (we are still kind of new to raw, so it helps when adding new stuff), fish oil/vitamin e and Osteo Bi flex(luxating patella)

What is the fish oil for? Omega 3s?

gixxerific wrote:I am feeding Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lovers Soul at the moment but will try something else next time. Though no real problems with Chicken Soup yet. She looks good and great energy good looking coat. I just want to see if something else suits her better.

Does Chicken Soup have multiple protein sources/"flavors"?

CSFTPLS

Ingredients
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloversso ... y_formula/

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am

cliff
Newborn Bully

Postby cliff » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks for the ingredients and the link! I think they sell Chicken Soup at Tractor Supply. If I'm not ready to switch to a carnivore diet yet, I may try it when I get my boy. Really, Blue is more expensive than I can afford for two dogs anyways.

Return to “Health Issues”