Fleas *sob!*

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JoeBingo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Fleas *sob!*

Postby JoeBingo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I've been using Revolution by Pfizer down here in Lower Alabama for 4 years running and my dogs don't have fleas EVER. I'm 25 miles from the Florida State Line.

Plus Revolution contains a heartworm preventative as well as controls ear mites AND treats and controls sarcoptic mange. NEVER had a problem with any of that stuff and yes, I have the vet check for heartworm because it is a big problem down here. Revolution is the bomb.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:17 pm

BabyReba wrote:if there's more, i'm looking for/open to suggestions, but i think i need specifics because this isn't something i've had much experience with.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. If you are seeing fleas multiple days in a row and your dogs are treated with advantage appropriately (medication applied to skin not fur, not licked or bathed off) then the dogs are picking up new fleas each day. Advantage and all the other topicals ARE effective at killing adult fleas within hours. If your dog is treated and you see fleas, they hatched and jumped on your dog within the past 4 hours.

There is no known flea immunity to any of the currently recommended parasiticides. They are dying, but if you see fleas, they are hatching from somewhere faster than they are dying.

This could be a new spot in the yard, say under a shady bush during the heat where your dogs were not spending time prior to the heat wave, or they could be fleas that are just now hitting maturity within your home. Without flea traps, there is no way to know where they are coming from, just follow your dogs all day every day and figure out what is new.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Don't any of the preventatives kill eggs before they are able to hatch?

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Aha! Sorry, answering my own question. Sentinel kills eggs, but it's oral not topical. So is there any real benefit to breaking the life cycle at egg stage rather than adult as the topicals do? I guess if the dog picks up new adult fleas outside the home, then those have to live out their normal life cycle unless they are hoovered up. Hmmmm

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 pm

PitFriend wrote:Don't any of the preventatives kill eggs before they are able to hatch?

Yes, but only the eggs laid after the preventative was applied... So the yard and any pupae in the home that may have been present for up to 18 months are not affected.

The more life stages you kill the more effective the preventative... But no chemical known to man penetrates the pupae protective shell so even the best preventatives may take weeks to months to appear effective.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 pm

we had fleas once when we had 2 dogs. IT WAS AWFUL!
we had to have the house fumigated and my dad had to spray the yard. I believe the dogs went to the vet for the weekend.

What's horrible, my dad would not believe me that it was so bad because it was not effecting him. nice huh? lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Isn't garlic supposed to be effective as a preventative (natural type)? I think I remember reading that somewhere. Maybe you could add that too :dunno:

I know what you mean about not being able to sleep and all that. Years ago when I only had 3 cats (all indoor only) they somehow got fleas. It was a complete nightmare and I was a panicked mess. Let me tell you how much fun it was giving baths to 3 cats! it actually took me, my BF at the time and one of my friends to give a couple of them baths. We wore long sleeve shirts and thick gloves roflmao

My friend was staying at my house at the time and he said I was going to kill him and I both if I didn't stop treating things lol I washed everything over and over. Washed the cats, put flea collars on them for a couple days. Did the treatments on them. Put the carpet cleaner stuff on the carpet and couches and vacuumed and vacuumed and repeat!

it is an experience I never want to repeat, especially because at the time I was living in a tiny flat. Now I live in a 1 1/2 story bungalow with a lot more space!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm

advantage is supposed to be effective at the adult and pupae stage; frontline says it kills fleas, pupae, larvae and adults that come in contact with it ... at least that's what the literature in the package states.

it's been nearly 36 hours since the new dose of frontline plus and i'm still finding fleas on tucker and doc still. damn it.none on button, for whatever reason. the frontline package says it's normal for some to be found on the dogs for a day or two after application because i guess the frontline is supposed to actually attract the fleas, then kill them, then keep applying on a regular basis and eventually they all die out.

i'll also be out tomorrow picking up diatomaceous earth for the yard. the yard was last treated for bugs in early december, but better safe than sorry.

things to be thankful for, i guess: that the house is almost all tile and just carpet in three small bedrooms, and that the couch is vinyl. i wanted to get a new couch, a microfiber one, but couldn't when doc's surgery popped up. for this situation, vinyl is much more convenient. so i guess that's one blessing in disguise.

mf-ing fleas.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:23 pm

I would go with advantix. Flea traps... that powder stuff tht isn't harmful to you or your dog but kills insects..... Charlotte???? It is all natural... I had friends use it for moths in their horse's stall.... DE!!!!! I suggest finding and using it however it suits your needs..

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 am

I don't have a lot to add, but I would also cut up one of those cheap flea collars and put it in your vacuum canister. I have also heard of people plugging in a night light low to the ground and sticking a shallow bowl filled with soapy water (dawn or joy dish detergent) under it to catch fleas. Never tried it so I don't know if it actually works. The fleas are supposed to jump towards the light. You would have to put it somewhere the dogs couldn't get into it though.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 am

I actually think we have got a handle on this thing now, thanks to the diatomaceous earth. It certainly does kill fleas quickly, and I got some that's safe for indoor and outdoor application, so I have it sprinkled all around the foundation of the house, in the outdoor screen room, and I applied to all of our upholstered surfaces, let it sit, and vacuumed it out. I still am pulling the occasional flea off poor Tucker, who seems to be the dog the fleas like most for some reason. But I'm not finding any new ones on Button or Doc now. And when I vacuumed last, I did find some dead fleas (no live ones) in the vacuum. So that's an improvement from before.

So we're getting there ... hopefully by the weekend, we won't see any fleas anywhere at all.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Good luck!

I had a flea infestation once thanks to a nearby feral cat colony. I thought I was going to lose my mind!

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 am

Someone mentioned garlic... garlic is poisonous to dogs.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Baby Reba- wish I would have seen this sooner. This is a normal thing in FL. Fleas are everywhere because of the sand. The best treatment I've found and use religously is Home Team. They come out and once a month to treat outside around the house on their own, and they treat inside once every 3 months for fleas and such. It's not extra charge. I pay $65 every 3 months for this service, and I LOVE it!!! I never have fleas in my house(well not since 2 months after I moved in and realized I was back in FL). I only treat with Advantage every 45 days, plus the Home Team treatments and I NEVER see any fleas at my house or on the dogs.

If you would like to look them up for a long term solution they are called Home Team Pest Defense and they use Taexx.
I you continue to only use the topical treatments on the dogs, your problem will continue to pop up.

PITsburgher- If garlic is poisonous, then why do they put it in the suppliments/vitamin pills I give my dogs? Things like Garlic and Brewers yeast pills?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Also forgot to add.... Home Team charges that set price once every 3 months and will come out at the drop of a hat if you call and say you saw a spider, wasp, flea...whatever FREE of charge. It's part of the every 3 month fee.

Return to “Health Issues”