Cant get mouth to stop bleeding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Cant get mouth to stop bleeding

Postby kcalbat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Went to let Bullet out the kennel and found his two blankets pretty much covered in blood.

I found a small cut on inside of his upper lip. No clue how he did this being in his kennel all night.

Any thing safe enough to put on it to get it to stop?

:yipee: :run: <put those on for my 2 yr old to see, pay no mind

heartbullies

Re: Cant get mouth to stop bleeding

Postby heartbullies » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 pm

yikes-- that sounds like a LOT of blood!!

how deep is the cut? could he have done it on the wire or chainlink? (not sure what kind of kennel he is in)-- if it won't stop bleeding and is bleeding a lot he may need some wound repair (like sutures) and they will likely give him some pain medication and antibiotics, especially if they determine it can heal on its own.

if your two year old child was bleeding and soaked 2 blankets with blood, it would likely warrant a trip to the doctor... same sort of rules about canine blood loss. hope your boy is okay soon. sounds scary!

kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kcalbat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:04 pm

It was scary, yes. Not too sure how it happened. Hes in one of the fold out wire kennels.

Its stopped bleeding. Im worried it will open up easily though. I will take him to the vet if it does.

Just trying to avoid that trip for the moment.

No worries, I will never allow a situation to get life threatening.

Thank you very much

mcrae101
Adolescent Bully

Postby mcrae101 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Caramel ran into something at my grandparents house a month after we got her. She came running to me with about an inch long cut on her face next to her eye. It was the 4th or july so we couldnt take her to the vet, we did the best we could.....that was hard enough I couldnt imagine having to find something for inside her mouth.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Mouths bleed like crazy, there's no doubt about it, but that sounds like more blood than I would consider normal.

I would have her clotting times checked asap. Its possible she got into some rat/mouse bait, or she could have a congenital bleeding disorder. Or it could look like more blood than it really is... but still, its better safe than sorry.

kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kcalbat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm

WOW! what a turn of events.

Well... turns out yes his mouth was bleeding from a very very small cut, but the location fell right where his canine ended so he kept making it bleed.

I thought all the blood came from his mouth bc it was mainly on his from legs and the cut was bleeding a good deal. So, I was keeping him in the kennel hoping his inactivity would allow the cut to clot. I checked on him and it had appeared to stop.

Then it started bleeding again, then... I noticed blood at the tip of his penis. Wow... I hadnt noticed before because for one, i dont stare at his penis too much and also, I had assumed it was from his mouth, which was obviously bleeding.

So I rushed him to the vet and 200 plus bucks later, he apparently has a bad UTI. So he is on meds for that. And they cartarized.. (spell check!) the wound in his mouth.

Oh thank God I was able to get him to the vet at last moment, his normal vet was closed and closed tomorrow and this vet didnt have openings tomorrow.

BUT even the vet admitted it was ALOT of blood for a UTI so if the meds dont work they will do an ultrasound and check for tumors. Vet said it was quite possible, due to his older again. I never assumed 5 yrs 7 months old... OI!

Return to “Health Issues”