Babesia, a reminder

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Babesia, a reminder

Postby mtlu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I second the sticky request – the info here is such an important resource.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm

WackyJacki wrote:From some of the articles I read it seems as though pit bulls, along with Greyhounds, are especially susceptible to this...?

I'm in the midwest, so it doesn't look like it's a big concern here. However, in some of the wooded areas we walk the dogs in during the warmer months there are ticks, and I want to make sure I am well informed on all of this. :/

It is more endemic in Pit Bulls because of the fighting culture. Greyhounds it is because a decent amount of the tracks are down south and because they do get in enough dog fights and are in unsanitary conditions (tick population high) in high enough populations to pass.

I am in the midwest too Jacki, I have positive dogs.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 am

heartbullies wrote:Now there is a CA Bay Area dog afflicted with this illness! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141278&start=15

Not from the south. :(

We had a HW positive local dog recently, too.
I'll be getting B tested ASAP. This is scary.

I just had a recent rescue from local turn up Heartworm positive. Crap, Martin is from the South, bet your ass we will be running this test next month at his vet appt.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 am

We saw a Pit Bull in Portland with it. The dog had an unknown background. It was a dog their idiot son brought home and dumped on them. Fortunately they.fell in love with her and had her treated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 am

Wow, Nice history lesson here. I am going to take Chase in to get tested soon, or possible wait for the wife to get back n go together.

Good info here!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:32 pm

I am going to paste what I wrote in general, since many of you are probably worried about this parasite and your dogs.

I also wanted to let everyone know that Tigger was negative for Babesia. Doctor Schulman called me earlier and said that the lab made a mistake and because of that she is trying to make them pay for some of the vet bills. Tigger had a very painful injection for nothing, but she had hemolytic anemia and her life would have been miserable even if the lab did not make that mistake.I can't catch a break even after her death.I know that many of you are worried about your own dogs after seeing the thread in the health part of the forum, so I wanted to give you this update and will add it there too. All my dogs have blood up at the University of North Carolina, but Babesia is not what would have ended up killing my Tigger.The last time I saw her I asked and begged that they tried something else but the answer was that she was going to die regardless how much debts I wanted to put on myself.I have to believe this to be the truth. They don't know why it hit her so hard and all of a sudden, nothing had shown on blood work before then, and she got a lot of it done in the past year and a half.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 am

Plus, every time you take a dog outdoors with you - you run into the chance that they might run across a tick. Even in an urban setting ... all you need is one dog that has a tick to drop in where another dog is going to run by it once it's fully digested and looking to refill.

Plus not all ticks engorge themselves every time that they bite - sometimes they just bite. Not seeing a tick is unlikely to be a good indicator that they haven't run across and been bitten by one. Especially our breed as they seem to love to roll and run themselves against stuff so much!

Return to “Health Issues”