Question about ears

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Question about ears

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Bad things hapen to good dogs.

WHY???????????

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 pm

simpSVT97 wrote:I got my pup's ears cropped about a month ago and they turned out good. They didnt wrap them however. Recently she has started standing her right ear up perfect but the left one is still laying over most of the time. She will stand it up sometimes (mostly when she sleeps)...I feel she will eventually stand it up like the other but just wanted to see if anyone else went through this and I need to go ahead and wrap it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

She's a cutie! I didn't get Murph's ears done, but I always thought they eventually started behaving properly on their own... I could be wrong. Have you talked to your vet? They might be able to offer more insight.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:41 pm

gixxerific wrote:Bad things hapen to good dogs.

WHY???????????

Now, now, Dono... lol

Cropping and docking is each individual owner's prerogative.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 pm

murphy2010 wrote:
gixxerific wrote:Bad things hapen to good dogs.

WHY???????????

Now, now, Dono... lol

Cropping and docking is each individual owner's prerogative.

SOrry Murphy but as you said it is my perogative. Plus I'm in a bad mood cause lucy is having problems and I'm drunk so what you want??????????????????????????? :fire: lol :crybaby: :beer: :beer:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:30 pm

f you want the ear to stand, you'll need to work on it now, not wait. i don't have experience with this but as the dog gets older and adult teeth come in, things are less likely to change in her ear set.

lots of adult dogs with certain crops have a flat ear or a flop ear; this is why it's so important to ask around and see photos when choosing a vet to do a crop. many vets crop, many are good at the medical side of surgery, many are not so good at the aesthetic side.

are there akc or ukc shows near you? contact the breeders near you whose dogs frequent these shows and who crop their dogs' ears; they may be able to give you some hands-on help or local recommendations.

as far as debating cropping/docking, there is a whole thread for that.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:33 pm

heartbullies wrote:as far as debating cropping/docking, there is a whole thread for that.

Aaand... here it is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4892

In case Dono would like to post his opinion. ;)

Not to thread-jack, but what's up with Lucy? And you know I'm always looking for a good fight! :tongue:

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Again sorry for being me but....

Don't they normally tape up the ears to get them to set right (for lack of better words) I also seem to wqan tot think that maybe they would use sticks of some sort to keep them right while healing.

I could be WAY OFF just thinking here. Though a pups ears will go through many changes. I notice this with Lucy her batwing ears are gettting weird on one side. While Maya's ears wre straight up alomost all the time (see avatar) that is not normal either but prettty damn cute if you ask me.

Good luck :pray :thumbsup:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 am

A short crop like the typical APBT/AST has generally doesn't need wrapping, but that pup needs something. Massaging the ear to straighten it would help for starters, but I'd find someone local to you who knows what they are doing and can help.

CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Postby CuriousMoves » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

With dobermans, we'd call it a pocket. Basically the ear tilts inward due to poor setting, or poor posting, etc. I would definitely do SOMETHING as the longer you wait, the ear will set and it will be all the more difficult to correct. There doesn't look like there's enough ear left to make a post, but if possible, I'd try it. Maybe look up some doberman posting websites and try and come up with something for now while you wait to get into your vet??

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

That ear needs to be taped and posted while the puppy is teething for it to stand properly. It isn't something I can explain, someone would have to show you how to do it. Most of the show pups need to have their ears taped and posted for a proper stand, because the ears are cropped a bit longer than most regular APBT crops, and it looks from the photos that is the type of crop that was done on your pup. Your vet should be able to do the taping and should show you how as well, in case you have to do it at home. You don't want to have to run to the vet every couple of days because the pup shook/ scratched the tape off! If you don't post it, you run the risk of it staying the way it is.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Oh my. I'm no expert on ear cropping and I am completely against it so my opinion probably doesn't count much to you.

But that does not look like a good crop at all. Poor pup.

I'd take him to another vet and get a second opinion.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Cherry wrote:
But that does not look like a good crop at all. Poor pup.

I'd take him to another vet and get a second opinion.

X2

The first pic made them look better. They should not be laying down like that at the beginning. Go to another vet that does crops and get a second opinion.

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 pm

The crop shape looks fine
The Ear needs taped. Mole Foam is the most effective way of do so, and seems to be the most comfortable for the pups.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 am

simpSVT97 wrote:I think this was one week after the crop. Also, I have a buddy with a 5 yr old who went to the same guy and got his ears cut when it was a pup. He didnt tape his either and they stand good

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't think it matter what happened with your buddies dog. You have had multiple people who know about cropping tell you the dogs ears need to be taped. I'd suggest you get him into the vet that did the crop or another one who can show you how to tape them or they may never be right.

Return to “Health Issues”