Turned Out Front Feet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Turned Out Front Feet

Postby Supernaturalist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Angus is a 13 month old SBT and has had "Easty Westy" feet for a while. It seems to be more obvious when he's sitting but can show when he's standing too. Sometimes it doesn't show at all and sometimes it looks horrible. He was just neutered a week and a half ago. Is there anything I can do to correct them? He's been training for flyball and I want to get involved with Weight Pull but I don't want him to be injured due to his messed up feet. I'd also like any tips on keeping them from getting worse, my parents have a dog who's feet got progressively more turned out with age until now they point almost completely out and sometimes nearly backwards. The dog's weight was probably a big factor in that.
Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Re: Turned Out Front Feet

Postby chako » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm

He doesn't look THAT bad, and the dog you reference whose feet turned almost backwards obviously had some other issues besides "easty westy" going on. Lots of dogs are slightly easty westy. I wouldn't be too concerned if it's only as bad as in the photos, but one thing you can do is try to keep the dog on grass versus on concrete. Go hiking with the dog rather than for long walks around the neighborhood, etc.
chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 pm

SBTs are supposed to turn out in the front. From the standard:

"Forequarters
Legs straight and well boned, set rather far apart, without looseness at the shoulders and showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point the feet turn out a little. "

The front on photo you show (I can't tell from the other photos) shows what looks like a normal SBT front.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:21 pm

as seen here

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Supernaturalist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks Sarah, you learn something new every day! I feel much less anxious about his feet now. And Chako you're absolutely right about my parent's dog. He's a heintz57 type mutt so his genetics are a complete unknown. He never had much exercise and has been allowed to stay very overweight, he needs to lose at least 15 pounds. The poor dog is just a perfect storm of bad genetics and poor care.
Supernaturalist
Newborn Bully

Postby chako » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 am

Sarah wrote:SBTs are supposed to turn out in the front. From the standard:
"Forequarters
Legs straight and well boned, set rather far apart, without looseness at the shoulders and showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point the feet turn out a little. "

Hey I learned something today about the SBT standard! :)
chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm

me too! Thanks Sarah.

btw, he's a looker! :inlove:
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby murphy2010 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:me too! Thanks Sarah.

btw, he's a looker! :inlove:

x2

And... (even though I'm not supposed to) I think a bit of the easty-westies is really cute. I know it's not good for most dogs, etc., but I can't help myself. :tongue:
murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sarah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 am

murphy2010 wrote:
And... (even though I'm not supposed to) I think a bit of the easty-westies is really cute. I know it's not good for most dogs, etc., but I can't help myself. :tongue:

Actually, a slight turn out of the front feet is good for most canines. The absolutely straight forward feet called for in most breed standards isn't natural canine structure. It exists most likely because the people who originally were writing up dog standards were most familiar with the anatomy of the horse, which does naturally have forward facing feet.

The turn out should be from the pasterns; a dog could turn out because of being out at the elbow, which would be very unhealthy structure; and an excessive turn out would be a sign of weak pasterns, which would not be good. But a slight turn out allows a canine to move efficiently.

Observe the feet on this canine:
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Liberty is a fine example of Easty-Westy (and damn near every other conformational fault you can come up with, except roach back) and you can see, even in a tee shirt, how it goes all the way up into her shoulders.

She's actually improved, since she's a far more confident dog than when this picture was taken, and her overall posture is significantly better. But the picture at least shows a clear image of a proper set right next to true wonkiness.

(btw, neither dog is tortured and abused here, despite what their eyes tell you. they were convinced someone had mailed them treats. It was a leash. Same thing, to some dogs.)
Amie
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:31 pm

dear god your dog is gorgeous!!!!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues