Wish us luck!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AllisonPitbullLvr

Wish us luck!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:29 am

So after the longest year of my LIFE, xrays every few months, pain medication after pain medication, rest followed by swimming therapy and then some more xrays, we FINALLY found out what is wrong with Buddy's shoulder.

She has a nasty bone spur that is slowly wearing away her bicep tendon.

Good news because we finally have an answer, bad news because there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.

But today she's going to be sedated and will have a steroid injected into her joint (ouch!) to try to relieve some of the tendon inflammation.

A possible complication from this can be tendon rupture, so she'll have to be on cage rest for awhile after.

We REALLY need some good vibes. I don't know what I would do if she was any more lame than she already is. This dog is my whole world!

So fingers crossed everyone! :pray

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Wish us luck!

Postby mtlu » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

I hope it all goes well and no complications arise! :)

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 am

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for the perfect outcome.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

I hope you can get her fixed up, I'm glad you finally found out what's wrong!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

:po: :po: :po:

I hate vet surgeons.

We were two minutes late and he decided he didn't want to stick around to wait for us (I was late because I was on the phone with my lawyer AND even if I HAD been there 2 minutes earlier there would have been no tech available to knock her out) so she didn't have it done this morning.

I. Am. Fuming.

She was SUPPOSED to have it done on MONDAY but since he never told us that a) she had to be fasted and b) she had to be off NSAID's we rebooked for today.

He said he "might" be there for 2:00pm.

:po: :po: :po:

There's more to the story that makes me upset but I can't type it right now. too mad.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

ugh :(

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm so sorry...

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 pm

So home now.

She was knocked down with ket/val around 3:30pm. Some joint fluid was taken to send to the pathologist to make sure there's nothing scary in the joint and then she was given her steroid shot.

It's 9:14 now and she's still pretty out of it, although I did just now finally get her to eat something. She hadn't eaten since 6:00pm last night! 27 hours!

She is wobbly still and exhausted. I think I'm going to bunk on the floor with her tonight (since I can't risk her jumping out of bed).

At the present moment with how out of it she is still, I'm sort of regretting this. BUT the condition doesn't respond to NSAID's and tramadol has been making her constipated. So I didn't really have any other good option.

On the plus side, ket/val makes her poop so she is no longer constipated!

The hard part starts now. 6 weeks of STRICT rest. :pray

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Good luck with the "rest". But more importantly good luck with your girl. :thumbsup:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Ugh. So a rough couple of days. She was super groggy all day Saturday. She slept all day while we packed and barely moved at all. She did eat but no poops at all! When she did get up she would move to another spot a few steps away and almost collapse. It was scary and I was texting the vets and techs from work all day. She went out for a couple potty breaks and was walking sooooo slowwwwwwly. When she DID try to move faster, she wouldn't put any weight on her bum leg at all.

Today she's MUCH brighter, almost back to her old self. I gave her a rawhide and she was her typical "you-just-gave-me-the-moon" happy self. She had a poop this morning AND one tonight and she is warm. (yesterday her gums and ears were freezing!)

But the best part is (and I don't want to jinx it because maybe it's just my imagination) but I think she's already showing improvement! Her limp is nearly gone when she's at a walking pace and she is much smoother at a "trot". Also, before she used to trot, trot trot for three paces then walk, walk, walk for three paces. Now she keeps a steady pace the whole way.

*fingers crossed*!

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Glad to hear she is coming around and hoping for the best for, must be hard with this and moving all at once.

Be strong. :thumbsup: :hug:

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 am

I'm glad she seems to be feeling so much better. Seeing her like that on the weekend must have been so scary!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm

nsbullylover wrote:I'm glad she seems to be feeling so much better. Seeing her like that on the weekend must have been so scary!

It was! When I would talk to her or lie on the floor with her, she wouldn't even respond to me! The worst part was knowing that *I* was the one who had done it to her, and I was really questioning whether I had made the right decision.

*touch wood* she seems to be okay still today and the limp is still a little better!

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Now that she's had the injection, is there anything else they've recommended for the bone spurs? I'd never heard of them until recently when one of my cats was showing signs of pain in her back end. Xrays showed bone spurs along her spine causing her some discomfort. I'm now trying to find out as much info as I can about them but it seems that there aren't a lot of options.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 pm

:pray

Return to “Health Issues”