Wellness Simple Solutions Vs Natural Balance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Wellness Simple Solutions Vs Natural Balance

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Cherry has horrid allergies, as most of you know. She has done well on Wellness Core Ocean for the past 2 years. She is 3 1/2 yrs old and moderately active.

I am considering changing her food to a lower protein food. Her kidney levels are borderline high and it really concerns me.

I've been looking at Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish formula and Wellness Simple Solutions Rice & Salmon. I don't know which would be better, a potato base or rice base. I also have no experience with either food.

The past week we did a trial run with Taste of the Wild Pacific formula and she's been licking her paws excessively and been pretty itchy. Nothing else has changed in her environment and she's still on Atopica every other day and Benadryl when needed.

Should I be that concerned with the high protein levels? She is still itchy on Wellness Core, but that is due to her environmental allergies. She is just WAY less itchy on it. Her muscle tone and weight are great as well. But I'm worried about her kidney levels.

Also, if I decide to keep her on the Core, is there anything I can do to offset that high protein? Should I increase her activity/exercise or give any supplements?

Thanks in advance. :D

Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Re: Wellness Simple Solutions Vs Natural Balance

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

High protein is also concern for our Trusty - he had acute pancreatitis in 2009, and we were told to stay on both lower fat and protein foods for him. Plus, he is allergic to a number of things.

He does not tolerate anything 'feathered' well (major itchies) and after 1 1/2 years of prescription dog food, we decided to investigate commercial kibbles again (with vet's blessings).

After some research, we settled on 'The Honest Kitchen', and, specifically, their 'Zeal' food (fish based). THK is dehydrated raw. I can add TOTW Pacific Stream to his diet without issue, but that is obviously not an option for you.

You may want to check out The Honest Kitchen as an option for her.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Zeal has the same protein percentage rate as Core. :(

It does look like an awesome food though!!

Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:13 pm

You are right - my mistake :oops: I just checked the Zeal box, duh.

It is a great food, and Trusty does very well on it.

Now for Cherry: would it make sense to look into 'Senior' formulas for her? These tend to be lower on the protein scale?

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm

I don't know of any that are limited ingredient and still a decent amount of protein, I don't want to go too low. And I want it to be able to keep up her lean weight and muscle tone. Argh dog food choices are so frustrating!!!

Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Off the top of my head, I would check into Natural Balance and see if any of their limited ingredient foods have senior versions ... just a thought.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 pm

I have huge concerns with those high-protein diets, stemming from both my own personal experience and seeing a multitude of patients with elevated kidney levels at work.

If it were me, I would go with the Natural Balance. Not only is the food lower in protein BUT they have separate manufacturing lines for their different foods (so salmon doesn't contaminate duck for instance). The derm vet that a friend of mine took his Boerboel to put the dog on NB venison.

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I have huge concerns with those high-protein diets, stemming from both my own personal experience and seeing a multitude of patients with elevated kidney levels at work.

If it were me, I would go with the Natural Balance. Not only is the food lower in protein BUT they have separate manufacturing lines for their different foods (so salmon doesn't contaminate duck for instance). The derm vet that a friend of mine took his Boerboel to put the dog on NB venison.

What is the point of feeding the high protein diets and why do people choose to feed it?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:30 am

Look into Blue Buffalo Basics. My two allergy dogs do really well on it

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 am

Angela Adams wrote:What is the point of feeding the high protein diets and why do people choose to feed it?

Because raw diet is all the rage, and people want to do whats "best" Even if its not anywhere near the same thing they will portray it to be... marketing ploy combined with hype

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am

The phosphorous levels are also what you need to look at . Kidney issues in dogs means they also need lower phosphorous.

So read up on the dogaware and naturals websites. You will find some great info.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:The phosphorous levels are also what you need to look at . Kidney issues in dogs means they also need lower phosphorous.

Not to mention lots of moisture! Dry kibble is very hard on the kidneys, dogs are not designed to process dry matter day in and day out. Soaking kibble can help, as well as supplementing with canned foods to up the moisture content.

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:The phosphorous levels are also what you need to look at . Kidney issues in dogs means they also need lower phosphorous.

Not to mention lots of moisture! Dry kibble is very hard on the kidneys, dogs are not designed to process dry matter day in and day out. Soaking kibble can help, as well as supplementing with canned foods to up the moisture content.

Wow I had NO idea. Thank goodness someone finally told me! I will be adding water to their kibble now! THANK YOU!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Angela Adams wrote:What is the point of feeding the high protein diets and why do people choose to feed it?

Because raw diet is all the rage, and people want to do whats "best" Even if its not anywhere near the same thing they will portray it to be... marketing ploy combined with hype

i dont think you can compare raw diets to high protein kibbles.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Well, picked up a bag of Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish! Gonna give it a few days and see how she does.

I already soak her kibble in Brita filtered water, helps with storage mites too! :D

Return to “Health Issues”