Cat with open sores on face - graphic photos

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Cat with open sores on face - graphic photos

Postby trip8581 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:58 am

I am cat sitting my brother and his wife's cat over the weekend and their cat has been having some health issues. The cat is 15 years old and a few weeks ago started throwing up on a regular basis all of its food. They took it to the vet and they could not find anything causing the issue, so she is now on anti-nausea medicine and is keeping her food down. Well she then started developing sores on either side of her face. She has had Cryptoccocus in the past, so they tested for that but it came back negative. They are now testing her for ringworm, but are not really sure that is what she has as I am pretty sure it would have spread to the people around her by this point and it really doesn't look like ringworm. The sores have spread to her the inside of her ears. They do not hurt her in any way (she will rub her head against things like a cat does) and she also does not seem overly itchy either.

According to my brother's wife the vet is stumped as to what it is and they do not want to spend much more money trying to diagnose the problem. They were considering euthanizing her prior to going out of town instead of having me watch her and pill her. She is acting completely normal otherwise - eating, drinking, wants tons of attention, purring, happy.... I just can't see putting a cat to sleep who has a good quality of life just because she has some unexplainable face sores. In the end it is not my decision.

But I am hoping to get to the bottom of it and find a diagnosis, so if anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way... I am thinking it has got to be bacterial or fungal, but what...

Photos below - a little graphic (sorry for quality they were taken with my cellphone)

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Cat with open sores on face - graphic photos

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:49 am

I would not assume those sores don't hurt just because she is not avoiding rubbing her face on things. Cats rarely show that they are hurting. I had a foster cat who had a claw growing all the way through her paw and she didn't even limp. I bet those are painful.

She may be 15, but if she's pretty healthy otherwise, it is worth looking into.

EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh poor kitty, that looks painful- how could an open sore like that not hurt? Thanks for taking care of him. I agree, seems senseless to euthenize her when she seems otherwise happy.

Could it be acne, or a flea allergy or ear mites traveling around the face? (I also saw something online about not using plastic dishes, can cause allergies and germs... so switch to glass if so). But the throwing up in addition makes it sounds like it's something else, and the face sores are a side effect of a bigger disease (since it's an older cat, could it be kitty Aids or something like that?).

I've had a cat with feline leukemia, which was awful and caused all sorts of other sicknesses (not face sores), and my cat now has kitty Aids- but he is fine, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with him (thank God). I've always thought the kitty leukemia was more like people Aids (more so than the kitty Aids), in that it weakens their immune system and causes all kinds of other sicknesses.

Just sounds like it might be a bigger problem than a topical skin issue. But I sure hope not. Sorry, I have no answers :(. I just feel bad for the kitty, and hope it works out.

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:01 pm

buckaroo wrote:I would not assume those sores don't hurt just because she is not avoiding rubbing her face on things. Cats rarely show that they are hurting. I had a foster cat who had a claw growing all the way through her paw and she didn't even limp. I bet those are painful.

She may be 15, but if she's pretty healthy otherwise, it is worth looking into.

As I said - from what I can tell the sores do not hurt her - perhaps they do, but she is not screaming out in pain. And yes I agree it is worth looking into, but she is not my cat, so sadly it is not my decision. That is why I came on here hoping someone might have seen this before and could give me a clue as to what might be going on. It is my brother & his wife's cat. The cat has seen 2 vets and both of them are stumped. My brother & his wife have spent over $1000 trying to diagnosis the issue and do not want to spend any more $ on finding out what is wrong. I don't want to see Eve PTS as she seems healthy otherwise, so I am reaching out to anyone I know who might have an answer. I cannot afford to take her to the vet myself as I am treating one of my own dogs for cancer (she comes first).

Thanks Jennie - I will look into FIV and FELV to see if any of those make sense.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

I would suspect food allergies as well, and would not euthanize without a food trial and then a steroid trial.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm

A 15 year old house cat is extremely unlikely to have FeLV or FIV and if they've spent $1000 on tests, I am sure that was one of them. It's fairly routine and very cheap.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 am

buckaroo wrote: It's fairly routine and very cheap.

And much like a fecal exam, often overlooked... best to check, just in case, but a good case workup would have already done one, I agree.

trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby trip8581 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 am

When they took her in for vomiting the vet had them change her food. She was originally on Royal Canin and now she is on Purina One. They don't remember whether she had started to show signs of the sores prior to the food change or not. Not sure what the difference is between these 2 foods is as I don't know what formula of Royal Canin she was on. I do find it quite odd though that the vet is not even treating the sores with anything - no steriods, topical cream, nothing...

She tested negative for ringworm today which I assumed she would as the sores looked nothing like ringworm. I think the vet had said according to my brother that the next step was a biopsy of the tissue, but I am not sure they are willing to do that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:05 am

Biopsy is a good next step, will help determine if allergies, cancer, other fungal/bacterial infection... but if they won't do it, they have to buy food anyway.

Unless they are feeding Royal Canin modified, they are not doing a diet trial.

No animal should die without the benefit of steroids... cheap and work on just about everything for a short while.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I hope this has been done, if they spent so much already, but has anyone looked at her teeth? Maybe some skull/dental x-rays to check for any fracture or bone cancer. I have seen tooth abcesses that have shown themselves like that when I worked at a private practice vet. I really don't have a clue, just throwing out suggestions.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm with everyone on the cat at 15 should not be PTS if otherwise it is not having problems. Although it isn't your decision.

I also agree that it is probably irritating or hurting the cat and it is not showing it.

I am quite surprised that the vets haven't tried to treat it with anything topical or steroids yet. Personally I would go that route if they are not willing to do a biopsy.

Are the sores only on the face?

Return to “Health Issues”