upset stomach this morning

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

upset stomach this morning

Postby Otis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

Ashes threw up a few times last night, just little urps of digested and undigested food. She spits up fairly often as she has trouble keeping water down, I've asked vets about it numerous times and they said it was nothing to worry about. I assumed that was the problem and wasn't too concerned. When I took her out for the last potty of the night she threw up all over the door. I was a little more concerned but assumed dinner just wasn't sitting well with her.
When we went to bed she threw up all over the bed and me. She's normally pretty good about getting up to take care of things so that was very odd. I moved myself to the couch and went back to sleep. When I woke up she had thrown up all over the house and had diarrhea in the kitchen.

She is throwing up large volumes of food, but she didn't eat anything out of the ordinary. I was with her pretty much all day and when I wasn't she was crated. What really gets me is the smell that this vomit is creating-it is simply putrid. I know puke smells bad, but this is just a very sharp, sour and sick smell. I gave her rice, meat balls and a bit of olive oil for breakfast and she ate well and kept things down but is still having diarrhea. She seems happy but very lethargic. I'm just concerned as she has a very strong stomach normally and very rarely gets sick. If she starts throwing up again we're going to the vet. For now I'm hoping it is just some sort of 24 hour bug like she got last year. Her gums looks nice and pink.

I did get a new bag of food yesterday-same brand as always. Mica eats the same food and has had no problems.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Re: upset stomach this morning

Postby Otis » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am

health issues, sorry. I am really good at posting in the wrong forum.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 am

It could just be a bad bag?? :dunno:

I hope she feels better, poor girl.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 pm

I would not feed her her kibble, but boil some WHITE rice and add either boiled chicken or sauteed ground beef.
if she eats that for a few days with no issues then slowly introduce her normal food little at a time
hope feel better pretty Ashes

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:52 am

It happened again. Ashes was really tired last night but I assumed it was simply from having an active day. I woke up this morning to see she had pooped on the floor and thrown up 5 times, she had diarhea when I let her out. Nothing has changed, she didn't get into anything funny that I saw. Why is she getting these random bouts of sickness? I'm supposed to go away this weekend but I may end up calling it off if I don't see major improvements in a few hours. Cooking her up some rice right now while she's under a pile of blankets on my bed. If she can't keep it down or doesn't start drinking water soon I'll stay home with her. My poor girl :( She's so embarrassed

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:34 am

If you showed up at my door, I would be recommending x-rays, baseline labwork (CBC, Chemistry, U/A), a fecal flotation, and if all of that was normal sending out a GI panel to texas A&M...

Vomiting more than 4 times is considered a good enough reason to be seen at the ER.

How often does she usually vomit? Weekly, monthly, or is this a new thing?

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:44 am

She spits up water often, maybe 2x a week but it is usually just when she drinks a lot and then pops up on the couch. As far as stomach issues are concerned she has a very strong stomach, vomiting like this is extremely rare. The fact that she's just getting these bouts of stomach unrest is very concerning to me. I'll see if I can get her in the vet this morning. She's a senior now so she's probably due for a senior work up.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am

Got an appointment this afternoon, I'll write down your suggestions.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Turns out babygurl ate a bunch of sand on the beach, she'll be fine assuming everything keeps moving along!

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Otis wrote:Turns out babygurl ate a bunch of sand on the beach, she'll be fine assuming everything keeps moving along!

Glad to hear :thumbsup:

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Otis wrote:Turns out babygurl ate a bunch of sand on the beach, she'll be fine assuming everything keeps moving along!

Maybe some salt water too?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm

geeze Maddy you can't catch a break with your animals! :headbang:
I am glad it was nothign more serious for Ashes

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm

You just gotta love your girl! I'm glad it doesn't seem to serious.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

She is a heart attack and a half! Everything is moving along fine and she's back on her kibble. The doc gave me an enema for her but I decided to see if she can get through this on her own without me torturing her like that! She has some pills for tomorrow and got an injection of something (I was a little tired at the vet....) to help out. Put mineral oil in her dinner as well to loosen everything up a bit!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 pm

ewww, talk about gritty. Poor girl!

Return to “Health Issues”