First anal gland problem 9yrs old..help?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Hey guys And gals... its been awhile since ive been over here or posted, but I know there is lots of good info. Needless to say i need some advice.

My boy Blanco will be 10yrs old in May. No major health issues ever except for removing a tumor(malignant) between his toes at age 3 or 4 and he is prone to ear infections after getting wet. I swear if he gets rained on he will get one.. lol

About 3 weeks ago we noticed that he smelled and was leaking from his butt. He would leave stains and whatnot. His stools were firm and actually he poops quite regularly (2-3 times a day). We road it out for a bit, but then he started licking and scooting so we took him to the vet. He had never had his glands expressed in his whole life. The vet showed no real concern, expressed his glands (left one was impacted and potentially infected). They prescribed an anti-biotic and charged me more than I thought was right(but its the same vet he has always been to).

So for the next two weeks after the vet visit he was fine. He took his meds for the first 10 days after visit. He didnt smell or leak and was VERY happy that everyone wanted to be around him again(he def knew). Now Meds are gone and he has a check up at the vet this Friday scheduled but we noticed yesterday and today that he is starting to smell again and left a small stain earlier where he was laying. Not nearly as bad as before and the liquid seems more clear than it was before( last time was brown/red and thicker).

Blanco has been on the same food all his life for the most part. No changes really in diet or exercise. Why is this happening again? what causes them to get impacted? should i change his diet now? should I be expressing them on my own?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: First anal gland problem 9yrs old..help?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm

As dogs get older, their immune systems change. Some dogs develop urinary tract infections, others have trouble with anal glands, others get eye infections etc.

Your pup should be expressing them on his own, but maybe the muscles back there "ain't what they used to be" and a senior dogs immune system definitely isn't... it may be time to start doing his glands every 2-4 weeks.

Its also possible the previous infection never cleared completely, and you just need to treat longer this time.

Was the antibiotic they gave you Clavamox? Its REALLY expensive, but one of the few that penetrates anal glands well and gets anaerobic nasty bugs too. Its also known as Augmentin, and even writing a script to a human pharmacy won't save you much if any money because it doesn't come in a generic form yet.

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:12 pm

the prescription he got for it was amoxicillin. general antibiotic. The reason it was expensive was just cause they nickel and dime you. Vet visit($50something), expressing($20), prescription($30), and of course they wanted to look at his ears and do a test($46). I used to get panalog for his ears if they got infected, but this time they gave me Posatex($26). it just adds up and I dont want to keep going to the vet every week if there is something I can do to help whether it is expressing on my own or a diet change.

Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 pm

When our Madeleine got older (at about 8 years of age), her anal glands became an issue as well, with one bad impact that required veterinary attention, including a course of Clavamox.

As that time, the vet most helpfully offered to show me how to do an anal gland express myself, but that was too much for this squeamish person :oops:

We elected to add fiber in the form of plain, canned pumpkin to her diet and brought her back to the vet's for periodic 'expressions'.

Note that a good, professional groomer can also attend to this ...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

burn504 wrote:the prescription he got for it was amoxicillin. general antibiotic. The reason it was expensive was just cause they nickel and dime you. Vet visit($50something), expressing($20), prescription($30), and of course they wanted to look at his ears and do a test($46). I used to get panalog for his ears if they got infected, but this time they gave me Posatex($26). it just adds up and I dont want to keep going to the vet every week if there is something I can do to help whether it is expressing on my own or a diet change.

That honestly sounds about right... exam is a bit higher than what my clinic charges, but thats location based...

Sadly, they don't make panalog anymore... wish they did.

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
burn504 wrote:the prescription he got for it was amoxicillin. general antibiotic. The reason it was expensive was just cause they nickel and dime you. Vet visit($50something), expressing($20), prescription($30), and of course they wanted to look at his ears and do a test($46). I used to get panalog for his ears if they got infected, but this time they gave me Posatex($26). it just adds up and I dont want to keep going to the vet every week if there is something I can do to help whether it is expressing on my own or a diet change.

That honestly sounds about right... exam is a bit higher than what my clinic charges, but thats location based...

yea i didnt mean to say i was overcharged... just that it adds up and I dont want to just settle for checkups and medications if there is another option or something to try

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

off topic....but...really! When did they stop making it?

burn504 wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

yea i didnt mean to say i was overcharged... just that it adds up and I dont want to just settle for checkups and medications if there is another option or something to try

If it were my dog I would go back in to make sure the infection was cleared up. If so then I would add fiber as MM suggested in her post.

Also look into doing it yourself or finding a groomer if you need them expressed. I know my groomer charges 1/3 less than the vets office for a nail trim.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

FBODGRL wrote:off topic....but...really! When did they stop making it?

Sometime while I was in vet school I think. I saw it used when I was interning prior to vet school, but I never saw the stuff again.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

I remember Panalog was the drug foe everything... Funny how you can forget.

I had no idea that augmenting was that too. How cool!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:I had no idea that augmenting was that too. How cool!

Yup, and a two week supply for a medium to large dog can run $75-150!! Not cheap... but well worth it when you need it

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Maybe another round of antibiotics is needed? My 11.5 year old rat terrier x started having the same kinds of issues just before christmas. Glands were expressed and he was put on a (too) short course (IMHO) of antibiotics, that nipped it for a bit, but it came back w/ in a couple weeks. We went back (saw a diff vet) and he expressed them again - not as bad, but he, too, was puzzled why the antibiotic run had been so short, said he'd need at least 2 weeks, and sometimes longer to make sure it was really cleared up. since the 2nd treatment, we've been pretty clear for the last month or so.

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Lisalrenee wrote:Maybe another round of antibiotics is needed? My 11.5 year old rat terrier x started having the same kinds of issues just before christmas. Glands were expressed and he was put on a (too) short course (IMHO) of antibiotics, that nipped it for a bit, but it came back w/ in a couple weeks. We went back (saw a diff vet) and he expressed them again - not as bad, but he, too, was puzzled why the antibiotic run had been so short, said he'd need at least 2 weeks, and sometimes longer to make sure it was really cleared up. since the 2nd treatment, we've been pretty clear for the last month or so.

I called the vet before the checkup and they extended the prescription another 10 days.

so he was on it for 10 days.. then off for a few.. back on now for the past few days. I have another appointment on the 10th.

It seems like its always his left gland

burn504
Newborn Bully

Postby burn504 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Blanco has basically been on Iams large breed(the green bag) most of his adult life. We tried Solid Gold and a few others with no change to anything but my wallet a few years ago and ended up going back to what he always had.

I am thinking of switching him over to something while I have his old food to mix with.

Any recommendations?

Return to “Health Issues”