Leg injury - what do I look for?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Leg injury - what do I look for?

Postby brunomom » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Oh god you guys....one of my worst nightmares *might* have happened tonight. Bruno slipped going up the back steps because of ice and snow. I was right there letting him in and he slipped through the step with his back leg then proceeded to lose his footing over and over and over. He was bascially laying on the steps on his belly trying to get his legs going...just as I made it to him, he got enough umpf to get up.

He is favoring the back right leg.

What do I look for? What do I do? Should I wait and see how he does? Do I freak out and look like a paranoid momma and take him in? Would I be able to tell if he tore or blew something?

I am hoping he is just tender from the obvious fall but seriously - I feel sick to my stomach. Anything you can tell me to look for issues would be helpful. Thanks.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Re: Leg injury - what do I look for?

Postby elegy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:57 pm

I wouldn't freak out yet. Rest him for a few days, see what happens. No running, no jumping, no fun.

Fingers crossed that a few days of rest is all that he needs!

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Ok....for sure will do that. What about stairs? Should he not be going down to the family room in the basement?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I wouldn't let him do stairs for a few days (or a couple of weeks) either, unless you want to carry him up and down. :twisted:
Roscoe hurt his leg too, about a month ago, and I was really worried, but he's pretty much back to normal now.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 pm

I agree with rest it and take a wait and see for a bit.

You can always wrap a towel under him and use it to lift up his hind side and help him on the stairs so he is not really "working" at doing the stairs.

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 am

On a good note...I was so worried earlier that if he did have a problem of what my hubby would say if it needed repairing...and he said: I sure hope Brune is ok but if he isn't - well I will get my dog fixed up right.

:inlove: At least I can put that worry of cost out of my mind and know that he supports me to do whatever we have to for our boy. Now I will work on worrying that we don't end up having a really big problem and that he recovers just fine the next week or so.

iluvk9
Newborn Bully

Postby iluvk9 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 am

Poor Bruno and poor you! My 140# Labradork often hurt his leg from running like a maniac and the Vet would always have me leash walk him for a few weeks and put him on Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he just had cruciate surgery because of all the rough housing he did. But, maybe Bruno just needs to rest the leg. He looks like a rather "sturdy dog" in your avatar. lol

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

iluvk9 wrote:Poor Bruno and poor you! My 140# Labradork often hurt his leg from running like a maniac and the Vet would always have me leash walk him for a few weeks and put him on Rimadyl. Unfortunately, he just had cruciate surgery because of all the rough housing he did. But, maybe Bruno just needs to rest the leg. He looks like a rather "sturdy dog" in your avatar. lol

HAHAHAHA Sturdy. Ah....that made me laugh! He definately is sturdy...so I hope that helps in this case. So far he seems to be doing pretty good. He isn't limping anymore so I am thinking he just pulled it.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Rest rest rest! For at least a week! Then if he is still lame, even intermittently I would have him checked over.
Sometimes with these dogs, I feel that a toern ligament is a "when" rather than an "if". Best of luck to you and Bruno!

Return to “Health Issues”