New rescued brat with severe skin issues

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kahlie
Forum Junky

New rescued brat with severe skin issues

Postby Kahlie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I've again returned from yet another hiatus, and was hoping I could pick the brains for some advice/wisdom with respect to my new acquisition.

I pulled Haplo off the euth list, and picked him up the afternoon of his intended last day on earth. He had severe pneumonia and some sort of severe skin infection on his feet/hocks and chin. He was emaciated, and dehydrated.
On drive home from shelter, I drove directly to a vet's, who pondered (read: criticized) my logic of pulling such a sick dog. He sent me home with 2 more antibiotics, on top of the other one I got from shelter.

I figured I'd just attach link to album instead of posting individual pics. Please note, some may consider some of the pics to be graphic (so I was told...)

The three antibiotics (one of which was Clavamox, the other I think was Chloramphenicol, and I forget the last one) did their job in clearing the pneumonia, and started helping on the "pododermititis" condition. I brought him home, and immediately got him on raw.
Within a week, he gained 5lbs.
He finished his meds, and the new vet pulled him off of chloramphenicol, and opted instead for cephalexin. The swelling of his pads/feet are progressively going down, ever. so. slowly. But, I still have no idea what's caused it. Both vets did multiple skin scrapes, and all times they came back negative for anything.
The last vet insisted on treating for sarcoptic mange, just in case, and thus he's received two doses of Revolution (not sure how I feel about that, but I conceded). In truth, I was convinced at first that it was demodectic, but at his age (3 ish?) and with negative scrapes, vets insist it can't be.

No outright change, except:
Originally, all he had was insanely swollen pads/feet, and cracked skin. He's recently started developping pustules all over... They'll show up one day, and no more than two days, they go away. But he gets them all over, and the ones on his pads/sore feet are worse.
I can't for the life of me figure out what would cause it. It strikes me as far too localized to be allergies, but...??

Anyone experienced anything like this? Theories? Tips?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: New rescued brat with severe skin issues

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 am

Wow the poor guy. I have NO idea, if not any kind of mange, I too would think allergies and stress.
Once off all the meds, if me, I would continue on good foods, organic meats if using raw, rub his skin down with organic virgin coconut oil, omega 3 supplement in his food (I am using wild salmon oils for my lil skin case here..nothing like what you have just fat and bad food for who knows how long)... and allow him the most stress free life you can to see if you can trigger his own immune system to kick in.
He might be so triggered on some allergic reaction plus the added stress of where he came from, that everything he encounters is flaring it, his body will have to purge his own toxins, which means it might get worse before it gets better .

thanks for trying he has such a sweet expression.
Hopefully others have seem something like too out there...

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks for the tips! After the first week of getting him, I was able to broaden my range of remedies to include not just raw meat but to add frozen beef tripe to his diet as well as cod liver oil. I'm trying to also limit to one other protein source which is turkey, buy admittedly I occasionally goof and he gets either chicken or guinea foul. He's also started on an immune system helper ( not booster ) which did make him more happy/ energetic but feet still look kinda un changed. Again, in 2-3 weeks the swollen has subsided by a lot, to half the size at least. But he still looks like he is wearing snow shoes or something.

Thanks for the tip on what to rub on his feet though! I did neosporin for a while when they were severe but was sure something else would be better (or possibly cheaper). Thanks for that one!

Do you think washing/ soaking feet would help? I heard Epsom salt or apple cider vinegar solutions with watermay help, but I worried about irritating skin further. Though I read that peroxide, borax and water solution was a treatment for mange. So I don't know.

It's also on his boy parts. Which worries me only in fear that it'd delay he procedure to get rid of said parts. Sigh.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 am

Kahlie wrote:Do you think washing/ soaking feet would help? I heard Epsom salt or apple cider vinegar solutions with watermay help, but I worried about irritating skin further. Though I read that peroxide, borax and water solution was a treatment for mange. So I don't know.

I don't have a lot of ideas, but thank you for trying to help this poor bboy.

I would avoid using epsom salts or vinegar on those open-looking sores, they both tend to really sting. I'd do raw or manuka honey if you can keep him from licking it off.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:19 am

Can they prescribe him Prednisone? I'm really surprised the vet didn't already. That would really help get the swelling down and relieve some of the pain. Poor baby, he looks horrible. :( Get an inflatable donut/ecollar to keep him comfortable but unable to lick, it'll make things way worse. I wouldn't put anything on it that the vet doesn't recommend. A lot of the natural things just irritate it more, especially if he is anything like my allergy dog. Once the open sores and swelling go down, coconut oil supplements or oils and immune system builders would probably be great for him. Right now, I'd stick to fish oil and medication. Honey isn't a good idea if it is yeast, pretty sure infections like that would just feed off of the sugar. It may relieve the pain but make it worse in the long run. Not many homeopathic treatments when it is that severe. It looks like an absolutely horrible skin infection. If I let Cherry go, that is probably what she would end up looking like.

If it was my dog, I'd have her on Cephalexin and Prednisone. Some topical steroid spray or ointment as well. He most definitely needs a tapered dose of steroid treatment, IMO.

Thank you for saving him, not many would.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

Well, there's a lot of medical research and basis for my suggestion, I didn't just make it up. It kills MRSA and many other antibiotic-resistant bacteria that nothing else works on.

Medihoney is an FDA approved wound ointment.
http://www.medihoney.com/

Numerous media reports:
http://www.ir.dermasciences.com/profile ... 2&ID=10309

Obviously you want to be informed and talk to your vet before using any treatment option.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh I know honey is an amazing treatment for some dogs. But for something that far gone, I would think medicine would be the way to go. Of course, I'm no vet and I personally wouldn't treat my dog with any kind of holistic treatment or medicine without a dr's opinion with it being that serious.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. A vet once told me to use white sugar on an open, and infected wound to both absorb the infection and heal the wound. It worked beautifully.

At this point it appears vets have nothing to offer but a slew of expensive tests or overly hard-on-the-system meds (not referring to cephalexin). The other thing I keep being advised that I failed to mention is vet food.

While being on cephalexin, he started coughing and having eye discharge. So I also added honey and garlic to his food to fight off his cold/ kennel cough. Seems to have worked.
(yes I do realize I'm ADD apparently and keep forgetting details. )

Has anyone with severe mange experienced pododermatitis like this?

Jasper had pretty bad allergies to chicken and grains but nothing like this.

About 3-4 years ago there was someone on here with a dog that, for all intents and purposes, should have lived on a bubble for his severe allergies. To grass, pollen and everything. Is the owner still around? Does anyone remember? She was a regular. (man I swear my memory is the worst. And I don't even smoke!)

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:35 pm

No one has seen swollen feet like this due to skin conditions?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:37 pm

I have seen dogs with severe mange get swollen feet, but I don't have personal experience with it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:12 pm

my $.02 worth

that looks like stapf infection he has accquired from severe demodex ( from bad stress/ immune system)
I would guess he was stressed/ sick initially then his immune system got so compromised all hell has broken loose
I will come back with some links/suggestions a bit later in a rush right now

Michelle had a dog even more severe and she might b e who your thinking of
her screen is
GuardianAmBull

and thank you for pulling/helping this guy Viag

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Be very careful with Cod liver oil.
If hes getting any organ meat, you may be over dosing him on Vit A
Vit A is a fat soluble vitamin and the excess is not eliminated from the body.

If you are looking to reduce inflammation then you need to look at:
salmon, herring, sardine or krill oil.

Good luck.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks so much Sharon! I'll send Michelle a PM, see if she can weigh in. I'd love links, whenever you're able :)
Right now he has about 4 days left on cephalexin and not sure where to go after that. I'd like to get him neutered asap assuming he's well enough, and then do a biopsy while he's under, maybe?
All I'm really doing is supportive, when I'd really like to get to bottom of it to cure him.

I didnt realize those benefits of the other oils. Thanks! I'll get some of those.

We really appreciate the input

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I have seen a shelter dog with swollen feet that was allergic to the kennel cleaner (Trifectant in this case). Unfortunately she ended up having severe temperament issues and was euthanized by the rescue that pulled her so I don't know how long it would have taken her feet to recover from the allergic reaction.

I have also seen a lot of dogs come out of shelters (mine included) with some crazy bacterial infections that are resistant to normal antibiotics. I would ask my vet for a culture and sensitivity test if I were you.

Thank you for saving him and best of luck!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm

I know a lot of the shelters use almost straight bleach to clean their kennels and don't rinse well :( (at least around here)
I have seen many dogs come from the shelter with severe bleach burns on their legs, elbows, neck, chest, muzzle, feet and scrotum :wow

Return to “Health Issues”