By Nature Salmon, Ocean Fish & Yogurt Dry Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello! Im thinking of changing food, my dogs overweight and I want a better more natural food that is affordable. What do you guys think of this food?

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Re: By Nature Salmon, Ocean Fish & Yogurt Dry Dog Food

Postby Imanis_mommi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Here's the ingredient list

Naturally, nutritionally complete. With added vitamins and minerals.

Provides a single source of protein. No pork, beef or poultry.

Ingredients: Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Oats, Ground Brown Rice, Herring Oil, Sunflower Oil, Yogurt, Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Raspberries, Turmeric, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

Calorie Content: 400 kcal/cup** (calculated)Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (minimum) 27%Crude Fat (minimum) 15%Crude Fiber (maximum) 4%Moisture (maximum) 10%Copper (minimum) 25 mg/kgManganese (minimum) 35 mg/kgZinc (minimum) 170 mg/kgVitamin A (minimum) 12,100 IU/kgVitamin E (minimum) 275 IU/kgTaurine (minimum)* 0.03%Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.)*0.80%Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min.)* 3.00%* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

If your dog isn't sensitive to grains (it's got 3 kinds of grains!) or dairy (though the yogurt is so low on the ingredient list), and can do that many calories per cup-- just switch slowly between the foods over the course of a week and maybe add in some canned plain pumpkin to help ease the transition.

Here is a similar food with slightly fewer ingredients (has truly 1 source of protein, 2 grains, and sweet potato) and no dairy that might be less expensive (not sure on this, since I don't know how much the By Nature food costs) and this one also has around 400 calories per cup: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/pro ... sp?id=1326

It seems like a fine food but I wouldn't pay a TON of money for it.

Here is another similar one that IMO is way-overpriced, at least around here, for a food that has the first ingredient-by-weight as fish (which is high in water), and the second as a grain, 3 grains including a flour in the first few ingredients, fish meal as the 4th ingredient. Also around 400 cal/cup:
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product- ... ngredients

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:06 pm

if you want your dog to loose weight, 400 cal/cup seems like a lot to me. I'm not a food snob but this is what I feed shady,kirkland-signature-healthy-weight . He lost about 15 lbs on it. He went from 75lbs to 60lbs in about 5 months time.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... eight-dry/
you will need to go to Costco to get it. Don't know if your a member or know anyone with a membership there

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 pm

I thought that your dog was put down? I'm not looking to be mean, I am just confused. :(

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:16 pm

WackyJacki wrote:I thought that your dog was put down? I'm not looking to be mean, I am just confused. :(

You thought who's dog was put down?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Imani's? I thought in her previous thread last month that she was putting her dog down for HA and was concerned for her, knowing that it must be incredibly hard. So this thread threw me off, but maybe she's talking about a different dog. I'm confused is all.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

I feed By Nature Duck and Sweet Peas. I love it and the dogs do super on it. The salmon one smells way too fishy, though we willl ocasionally rotate through a bag for variety.

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Imani's? I thought in her previous thread last month that she was putting her dog down for HA and was concerned for her, knowing that it must be incredibly hard. So this thread threw me off, but maybe she's talking about a different dog. I'm confused is all.

I haven't posted on here for a long while. Last I posted was a few days before we planned on putting her down. I just looked at the thread and realized I have not updated. So sorry.

SInce the last post on that thread some thigns have changed in our lives for the better.

After contimplating and getting opinions and honestly just sitting with my husband and children we decided that with the income tax we would move to a bigger place with fenced in yard and get a trainer/behaviorist to help us with Fate. I wanted to give it one more chance with the right setting/situation before we did have her pts. We now live in a nice not huge but big enough 3 bedroom home and no longer live with family. It's just hubby, kids & I. The first thing that changed after the move is that Fate doesnt bark at people who walk by or stand outside the fence. She only barks if they pass by on bikes or anything that makes noise but it isnt that same aggressive type bark. We still only let her out on a leash and only when Im home. We have made some progress also we have been able to take her to a really nice big park (not dog park) (she is muzzled & on a gentle lead) she is completely uninterested in any passers by. I know we still have alot of work to go and will probably never be able to fully trust her alone with strangers and will always have to be 200% careful BUT like I mentioned I wanted to make sure I really gave her a fighting chance. Realizing that all this was my fault and that I really set her up for failure got to me and im dedicated to attempt all I can to give her a real chance.
I thank you so much for worrying honestly if it werent for you guys I would have lost my mind. I tok in all the good advise and made a decision along with my family. Im happy with the drastic changes she has demonstrated but am not letting my guard down with her. Honestly our life before waas chaotic due to all the family members and craziness she was always on edge. It's true what they say dogs feed of our energy. It's nothing short of amazing how her demeanor has changed she is relaxed alot more at ease. doesn't have to be crated at all times because we have spoken with friends and family members and dont have people over too much just yet. Gradually working on it. We have been doing some work with Fate and Hubby and she now respects him. We still have some way to go but I am satisfied with things so far. Even my kids are doing much better since the move and changes. It is amazing what a little bit of space, peace, quiet & routine can do!!

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm

I have heard about the one from Kirkland at costco. I have thought about trying it before I think I may pick up a bag on the way home.

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:I feed By Nature Duck and Sweet Peas. I love it and the dogs do super on it. The salmon one smells way too fishy, though we willl ocasionally rotate through a bag for variety.

Im going to look that one up! Thanks

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Best of luck with her!

As far as food goes, I like TOTW when I'm not raw feeding.

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:51 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Best of luck with her!

As far as food goes, I like TOTW when I'm not raw feeding.

This may sound retarded but what does TOTW stand for is it Timber WOlf?

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Never Mind, I googled it! Taste of the wild. Seems really good! Is it pricey?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Imanis_mommi wrote:Never Mind, I googled it! Taste of the wild. Seems really good! Is it pricey?

I feed TOTW because its cheap!! Love the stuff... cheap, but good quality, so far my dogs are doing great on the fish formula, there was some itching on the high prarie, but I have a food allergic dog in the house and suspect chicken may be on the list of allergy issues now.

Return to “Health Issues”