Essiac Tea

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Essiac Tea

Postby Libby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am

As some of you know, Gypsy has a lump growing on her right hip/loin area. The vet suspects that it is a fatty tumor located under the muscle, giving it a more firm feel than a fatty tumor normally would. We have not aspirated it as of yet (I'm going to ask about that today) but in the mean time, until her appointment to have the lump removed on the 29th of this month, I've decided to take a hollistic approach recommended to me by a few of my friends.

So, I bought some natural 'tea' called 'Essiac' tea. This is an article with some info, but you can find a TON more if you google it....

http://www.answers.com/topic/essiac

Basically, Essiac consists of a blend of four herbs: Burdock root, Indian rhubarb root, Sheep sorrel, and slippery elm.

Its been used to fight cancers, and various other illnesses and diseases. From what I was told from my personal friends, it works wonders on tumors and growths from their personal experiences with their own pets. I figured since I have time, it couldn't hurt to try it on Gypsy until her surgery date, and if it has results, to continue her on it for general health and preventative uses.

Today is day one of Gypsy being on Essiac tea. I've started her out with 3 oz daily, and will keep her on that for the first week, after which I'll cut her back to 2 oz daily. The stuff stinks like weeds, and I imagine it tastes like weeds too, so I mixed it with a bit of canned food to make it more palatable for her---she gulped it down no problems!

I'm curious if any of you have experiences with Essiac tea you'd like to share. I will for sure keep you all updated on how it goes with Gypsy!

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Essiac Tea

Postby mypuppyJack » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am

Good luck Gypsy!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:48 pm

I read up on it too after seeing a FB post about it. I'm very interested to see how it works for Gypsy.

I already spent my $ on the plaqueoff for my dogs and would have to wait for the tea.

Also I found some conflicting info about whether to use the 8 ingredient or the 4 ingredient tea, etc. so wasn't really sure which way to go with it.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I've been reading about all sorts of alternative supplements for dogs with cancer recently. I've heard of Essiac Tea, and thought about trying it. I've also read about a gazillion other options...and right now my head is completely clouded with it all, and I can't seem to pick which one I should go with. Did you buy Essiac tea pre-made or in teabags, or did you buy the individual herbs and blend it yourself? Did you buy online or in a store? I feel completely lost in this world of holistic supplements and treatments...and I can't afford to see a holistic vet right this minute... so any info I can get from people who've tried it would be appreciated!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Mil gave me some for Shay. I first had her just try and drink it, that didn't go well. I put hers in with dog food too and she did eat it that way.

Libby, when I got home from work, my vets was closed. I will get the name of the drops for you.

Yesterday was 2 years since we found out about shays cancer. I decided to go the holistic approach with her, and don't regret my decision. Good thoughts to Gypsy!

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:28 pm

I have heard many good things about it. This website says to use caution where you purchase it from, just to be sure of the quality of the herbs used. This is the "official" site, apparently? http://www.essiacinfo.org/

My only *minor* concern would be about the slippery elm - since it coats the intestines it can effect absorbtion of other things. But I am not sure how much it effects absorption. I just know it is in an herbal hairball supplement I give to one of my cats and I was cautioned about that, so I give a minimum dosage until I can learn more about it. I just found this one article that cites an actual study:

"Slippery elm has no serious side effects. Because it coats the digestive tract, it may slow down the absorption of other drugs or herbs. You should take slippery elm 2 hours before or after other herbs or medications you may be taking."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/slip ... 000274.htm

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Max had Essiac twice a day for MCT. I most definitely believe it, along with his other supplements, extended his life. I sure don't regret giving it to him. :)

And yes, two very important things: make sure you getting it from a very reliable source, and give it separately from other medications (since we were mixing other herbs in his food, he got the Essiac (sprinkled with parmesan) two hours before meals)

Good luck and thoughts to you and Gypsy! :thumbsup:

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 pm

and for some reason, I think I am remembering that it is most beneficial to give on an empty stomach, I believe its qualities of coating the digestive system is good... not positive I am remembering this exactly right...

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:31 am

Turned out it was an abcess, it came to a sort of head during the day yesterday. We did surgery, found a pocket of pus and gunk almost an inch into the muscle.

Cleaned it up, stitched her up.

She hemorraged while she was recovering and went into shock. Had to rush her back into surgery but we managed to stabalize her and hooked her up to fluids.

I had to leave her at the clinic to be safe and to keep her on the fluids. She seemed to be doing well when I left...I stayed until nearly 11pm, and she was completely awake and moving around when I left....she ate a little canned food..I know she can't be too bad off if she eats, Gypsy loves food.

I'm heading back right now. This is the first time I've had to leave Gypsy somewhere other than with my parents in so many years....she was making such noises when I left, it broke my heart....I wish I would have just stayed the night with her.

I'll be more informative later, after I know she is ok this morning. I can't think.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 am

Ugh, how worrisome for you. I am so glad it was just an abscess, but how scary she went into shock and you had to leave her. :crybaby: :hug: :hug:

Hoping for a good news update. Keeping you in my thoughts!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:58 am

She's ok this morning. I was having nightmares about something going wrong and getting here this morning and her not being ok....

She was really happy to see me....and the canned food I brought for her :P She had to have a tooth pulled while she was under the first time. Just a little tooth, but oh darn, now she has to eat canned food for a few days...she's really upset about it.

My heart was in my throat all night. I didn't sleep more than an hour, it was hard not to just rush back here and sit with her.

Now she looks like frankenweiny though, the incision started out so small and clean, not even 1.5"...then when we had to redo it, to get all the clotted yucky blood out from the hemorrage, its not like...5" and cross-sutured. And she has draings...its like total deja vu from when she was bitten by the spider.

Oh, and the doctor thinks its probably something 'leftover' from then. Maybe a small partical of dirt, hair. But her body formed it into a tiny cyst, and then it decided to abcess. There were tracks going both up her back and down towards her stomach, the paths the abcess was trying to take.

Gypsy, Gypsy...I think she really will be the death of me. I think I lost 25 years off my life yesterday when things went wrong. I seriously thought I was either going to vomit, or pass out, or both. It was awful.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 am

Libby wrote:She hemorraged while she was recovering and went into shock. Had to rush her back into surgery but we managed to stabalize her and hooked her up to fluids..
Now that's SCARY :wow I probably would pass out... Thank god she's ok. I hope her recovery will be quick and painless, poor girl :hug:

patty

Postby patty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 am

Thank goodness Gypsy is OK, what a turn of events!!!!

Is she coming home today???

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Dang, Libby! I am glad the franken gypsy is recovering! How crazy and scary!!!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:51 pm

It was terrifying. I thought I was going to vomit, pass out, or both. I've never felt so light headed or scared in my life.

She's doing pretty well now. She kept chewing at the sutures so I had to stick the cone of shame on her, but now that we are home she is happy and she isn't bothering it at all.

I'm keeping a hawk eye on her though. My parents have always said, if it can happen, it will happen to Gypsy. And I think its at least halfway true.

After opening her back up and trying to find where all the blood was coming from, it was just this teeny tiny little vessel. It hadn't been bleeding like that when we had her in surgery the first time, but it was seriously just bleeding away after.

Here's a picture from earlier this morning, just a little bit after I got back to the clinic to be with her.

And here she is in the cone of shame, a couple hours before we came home.

Return to “Health Issues”