Guess I'm Venting here

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Guess I'm Venting here

Postby LouDiamondz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Okay so on the 12th i picked up Buddah from someone off craigslist.. due to it being my birthday and getting a new pup it was kinda hard to focus 100% on everything we were talking about (bad i know and ADMIT).

Long story short I was told he was 6weeks the day I picked him up and from what remembered he was born Jan 4th. I was also told he would need his shots the following weekend (this weekend the 19th).

I went to PetCo today and told them the lady I got Buddah from told me he needed his 2nd set of shots this weekend. I told them he was 6 weeks going on 7. Because I couldn't tell them what shots he already had they recommend starting over. So being Vets i went with what they said.

Earlier this week I sent the person from whom i got Buddah a message asking his birth date, 1st shots date etc. They ended up getting back to me after getting Buddah his shots today and it turned out he was born on Jan 2nd and did need his shots this weekend.

That makes Buddah 8 weeks tomorrow instead of 7 weeks on 22nd.

I feel pretty irresponsible not having paid attention that 1st day and i guess im just venting it out.

Now having gotten these shots again that is okay correct?

Thanks for reading..

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: Guess I'm Venting here

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:16 pm

I would highly reccomend finding a vet to take him too and ask these questions, petco vets are vetinarians or possibly just vet techs , they are hired in to vaccinate and really can not take the time to help you as is really needed in their quick clinics.
The puppy was sold WAY to young at either age , so my only advice is to seek out a local vet that you bring your puppy to as he grows and you can have a relationship with for guidance on many things like deworming, vaccines and every day doggy needs.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:19 am

I would have started his series over if he was my pup anyway. The fact is, you can't really trust that he was actually ever given vaccines (and if he was, they were probably feed store vaccines, which may or may not have been stored and shipped at temperatures that kept them viable and administered by someone who may or may not have known what they were doing) Unless pup comes with a vet record for shots, they start over here.
You are better off if he is 8 weeks, he should still be with mom and littermates at 6.

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:54 am

i picked him up at basically 7 weeks.. i've been doing my best to show him that extra attention "nurture" if thats the word and play as if he would with his brothers n sister trying to teach him whats too hard of a bite when playing.

is there medically any reasons i should worry him having left the litter a little early?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:53 am

Your pup will get a series of 3-4 vaccines regardless of what was or wasn't given by the breeder. A good vet will disregard breeder vaccines and start over, and will discourage breeders from vaccinating the pups themselves as farm store vaccines are often not the best choice nor are they necessarily handled properly.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:57 pm

LouDiamondz wrote:i picked him up at basically 7 weeks.. i've been doing my best to show him that extra attention "nurture" if thats the word and play as if he would with his brothers n sister trying to teach him whats too hard of a bite when playing.

is there medically any reasons i should worry him having left the litter a little early?

I would be more concerned about behavioral/temperament stuff than medical issues personally. Since you are not a dog and he missed out on the time with mom and siblings.

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:56 pm

the biggest issue im having right now is that besides sleeping he bites bites bites bites bites, and its clearly just that he wants to play but i can only do so much as far as taking his bites and letting him know whats too hard and whats okay.
i helped raise 2 old olde english bulldogges and neither bit so much, is this just common among pits or just because he missed that time with his liter/parents?

i really feel some dog on dog is what he needs but from my understanding until he finishes his shots its NOT such a great of idea.. any suggestions or advice?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 am

Some of it is being a puppy, but his littermates and mom would have helped a LOT with bite inhibition.

I'm pretty sure there's a great Sticky article in the training section on bite inhibition...

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 am

You're kind of in a hard spot. He needs the socialization but he needs his shots too. If you have friends that you trust have their dogs vaccinated and their dog is puppy savy I'd suggest that route.

Maybe with the biting (keep it up-teaching him this or that is too hard) but give him something to redirect on occasionally as well-to give your skin a break.

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 am

thanks guys appreciate the advice! :thumbsup:

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 pm

star_frances wrote:http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf

haven't read it yet but i glanced at itand it looks packed fulla info thanks!

LouDiamondz
Newborn Bully

Postby LouDiamondz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 pm

LouDiamondz wrote:
star_frances wrote:http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf

haven't read it yet but i glanced at itand it looks packed fulla info thanks!

just read it now and WOW am i glad you sent me that.. THANK YOU :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”