Riddle's Mast Cell Tumor...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Riddle's Mast Cell Tumor...

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 pm

:crybaby:

Last week Riddle had a lump removed from her side, and today we found out it was a mast cell tumor. It is low grade, thankfully, and the vet made sure when he removed it he got it ALL, just in case. :( We're obviously hoping that it doesn't come back, but there is of course always that chance.

I guess I'm just looking for advice and support. Riddle will only be 5 in April. She eats raw and we're already planning on removing all forms of carb (i.e. biscuits and such) from her diet. I've been looking into things like adding Shiitake mushrooms and other anti-cancer veggies to her veggie mix, along with herbal remedies. The vet has two herbal remedies we're picking up tomorrow, one that's a specific anti-tumor, and the other general skin support.

My mind is really scattered right now, and I'm trying not to freak out but it is really hard. :(

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Re: Riddle's Mast Cell Tumor...

Postby Beowulf » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

I've got no advice, but I just wanted to say hang in there! Remain calm. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Riddle. :hug:

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm

:hug:

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm

I just had a scare with Gypsy very similar :hug:

I bought Essiac tea per recommendation of some of my friends. Gypsy's 'lump' ended up being an abcess. I would like to send you what I have left of the Essiac tea. I've only made one batch of it, and I don't think I will need the rest. The bulk size bag I bought should be enough to last you four or five months.

Here's an article on Essiac tea....

http://www.answers.com/topic/essiac

And here is the place I purchased it from, they also have a lot of information on the website....

http://www.premium-essiac-tea-4less.com/

You and Riddle are in my thoughts and prayers.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 am

Libby, I hadn't heard of the essiac tea, but it contains a few different things that I've been reading are recommended for cancer and tumor reduction. I know that burdock supports liver function too. I don't want to start her on anything until we have the "cancer consult" (I had to control a major freakout when I heard that phrase) with our vet next week, just to make sure I'm not overdosing or clashing with the herbs he's prescribing. Your offer is wonderful though, this forum amazes me. I'll definitely take you up on it if our vet gives the ok. He is a holistic vet, so no worries about him dismissing it out of hand.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 am

I am so, so, so afraid of cancer.

My friends' dog had a MCT removed with clean margins and it's been, what, over a year without any recurrence. No carbs, herbal support/supplements, and keeping her lean and trim (to best see any new lumps early!) seems like the best possible course of action. There is definitely hope-- you've got the best combination of things possible: involved owner willing to do research, involved vet willing to explore every option for treatment/prevention, clean margins upon removal, an otherwise young/healthy dog, see?

Keep us posted, okay? In the meantime, *you* deserve some calming tea! Give Riddle some extra ear scritches from us.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 am

Low grade and getting good margins is great news and it's nice that your vet is working with you on Riddles diet and supplements.
It is very overwelming when first hearing the cancer word. Hugs to you and Riddle.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am

:hug: I know exactly what you're going through. I don't really have much advice, seeing as how MCT is something we've just started dealing with a month ago. My family thought I was being nuts checking Isabeau over every day, but that vigilant checking is what helped me catch 2 new MCTs less than 2 weeks after her first MCT removal (which was a grade 2 with clean margins). I don't think I would have noticed these two tumors if I hadn't been running my hand against the grain of her fur, really examining her. They were small and not visible since they were under her fur. I urge everyone to closely examine their dogs on a routine basis. It's better to be safe than sorry. I'm impatiently awaiting Isabeau's histopathology results now.

Hopefully since Riddle's MCT was low grade with clean margins, you won't have to deal with any more MCTs. I hope I haven't been too much of a downer, not trying to freak you out. I just feel for you and anyone else who has to deal with these evil MCTs!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 am

You and Riddle are in my thoughts and prayers.

pipersmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby pipersmom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Keeping you and Riddle in my prayers. :hug:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Damn... Every other dog on here has a MCT... So sad... Hang in there, i know how scary cancer can be :hug:

http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138377

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm sorry you are part of our nasty little club.
I hope you can breathe soon. :hug:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'm still reeling from this, but I got a few things done today.

Riddle is already kept very lean and skinny, thanks to a TTA knee surgery in late '09. I'm also super paranoid and constantly running my hands over my dogs. Unfortunately Riddle has always grown lumps and bumps, which until now have all been harmless. Now of course all lumps are getting aspirated or removed immediately, and I have a suspicion we're going to be spending lots of time and money removing harmless bumps.

Today I picked up her two prescriptions from our vet, Standard Process Canine Dermal Support and a Chinese herb blend called "Dispel Stasis in the Palace of Blood". The bottle says the long, unpronounceable Chinese name on it too. lol The SP Dermal is for general skin and immune system support, and the Dispel Stasis is really meant for something else but has also been shown to reduce MCT growth. Don't ask me what its usually used for, my vet told me last night but I was hysteric and forgot once he told me the relevant part.

I also stopped by Whole Foods today to look into buying chicken from them instead of regular grocery stores. They have antibiotic, hormone free, free range chicken wings for $2.29/lb. Their thighs are even cheaper. I ordered 7lbs of wings for Riddle, and plan on buying other chicken parts too. Also drove to Redmond and bought 13 pinkie rabbits from a local woman who raises rabbits for human food consumption too. I've decided I want all pesticides, preservatives, and chemical based stuff out of her diet and our lives.

Enigma, thanks for the thread link. Never even thought to look for something like that.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 am

Riddle is a lucky girl to have you on her team!

Sometimes at WF, but *always* at a local natural grocery store, they sell the "scraps" of the organic and free-range chicken for under a buck per pound. Generally it's necks, backs, and heads-- often the backs are super-meaty with organs attached. Sometimes you will have to add other muscle meat but it still would average out to a savings per pound, especially since comparatively, the chicken wings have lots of bone/skin compared to muscle and are so expensive per pound.

If you go in every week on the same day/timeframe and get to know the butchers, you may find they save you extra presents in a freezerbox during the week. Several years back when I fed raw and had a chest freezer, they'd have not only nice, meaty chicken backs but also the less-marketable-to-humans parts from turkeys, also beef trim, and other goodies, all organic and free-range since that's what they sold there. Just a thought.

I hear you on the lump-checking-- anything odd looking or feeling on my dog makes me squirrely, even if the bump is so tiny it just barely makes his fur go 2-degrees to the side. lol

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 pm

I was going to ask about scraps when I pick up the wings. They do sell backs and necks, but its ground up in containers. I want to ask them if I can get some of those parts whole.

Return to “Health Issues”