Riddle's Mast Cell Tumor...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Re: Riddle's Mast Cell Tumor...

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

So we got back from our appointment with our vet, and got a solid plan down. We're going to up the veggie ratio in her food so that she can get more of the cancer-fighting cruciferous veggies in her diet. We're going to be megadosing her on fish oil, and adding a few more supplements for her.

Right now her supplement list is:

Standard Process Dermal Support
Kan Essentials Dispel Stasis in the Palace of Blood
Thorne CurcuVET
Standard Process Cataplex E
Health Concerns Power Mushrooms
InClover's Optagest
Rx Vitamins RxBiotic

She's also taking another Standard Process supplement called Ligaplex 1 for ligament support in her knee because of her ACL tear, to help prevent the other knee from going. Her food is going to be VERY well powdered. lol

We're doing all this for 3-4 months with the goal of getting her body rid of any bad mast cells. Her vet is cautious of keeping her on a severe cancer fighting diet/supplement regime for a prolonged period of time since she is so young. Things like the large amounts of cruciferous vegetables could eventually depress her thyroid, and high amounts of vitamins A and D like she'll be getting are hard on the liver over time. So we'll be revisiting a more mild approach in a while to keep her still fighting off the cancer while being easier on her system.

We are also going to stop all vaccinations. Riddle gets shot reactions, so we've always tried to keep vaccines to a minimum with titer testing, but rabies has always been done to keep her legal. Now, however, since mast cell tumors can be created and encouraged by allergic reactions, we're going to stop those too. She just received a 3 year rabies about five months ago (and I have to wonder if that created her tumor), so we won't have to deal with it for a while, but our vet is going to write a letter of exception for her to try and keep her legal without the vaccine.

Overall I feel good about our plan. We're tackling this from every possible angle, and hopefully it will just give up and go away.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:04 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:I'm sorry you are part of our nasty little club.
I hope you can breathe soon. :hug:

This, but fight the good fight!!! You ve got a ton of support and good info. Hugs!

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 am

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

We are still reeling from what was (hopefully) only a MCT scare; and I admire your strength because my brain was mush!

It sounds like you guys have an excellent plan and a great vet.

:hug:'s and healing vibes to you both!!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

My brain WAS mush the first few days! The phone call with my vet when I found out was the worst... he kept telling me not to freak out, to take some deep calming breaths. Then a few minutes later he'd go, "You're freaking out!" and I'd say, "I KNOOOOWWWW" and start crying. Thankfully he knows me well and is very good at dealing with my emotional instability regarding my pets.

At some point I managed to wrap my head around the whole thing and decide that, well, we were going to have to deal with this and there was no way around it. The best way for me to deal with this is to do absolutely everything I can to keep her healthy.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:55 am

:hug: :hug: Hope all goes well for Riddle – your vet sounds so wonderful and supportive!

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Look into liquid Zeolite. We gave it to one of our dogs when our vet thought she had cancer of the spleen. We gave it to her for a week and the difference in her was amazing. Unfortunately she died from a bleed out after waking up from surgery (spleenectomy), about an hour before we were due to collect her from the vets:(

What the vet saw as a tumor on her spleen in an xray, was actually a quarter size hole in her spleen when they removed it. One day she just was not herself at all and her gums were so pale, we rushed her to vets and it did not look like she would last the day. After Xrays, blood tests etc our vet told us to take her home and make the most of the time we had left. But when she got stronger after Zeolite we and the vet decided to go ahead with surgery..

Given the improvement in her as soon as we began the Zeolite, if we ever have to walk that road again - Zeolite would be on our list. I actually give our eldest dog it to detox every so often and take it myself too.

I can't say it was without a doubt the Zeolite that helped her so much, we also gave her organic meat - no carbs too. But the timing of beginning to recover was as soon as we began the 10 drops an hour (10 hours a day) Strangely enough her favorite food to beg for was always bread, but as soon as she got sick she would not eat anything but meat, as if she knew what her body needed.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6607421_zeoli ... -dogs.html

Good luck!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Nothing useful to say, I'm just sorry you and your pup have to go through this. Cancer sucks.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Just wanted to say good luck. Last year we found two MCT on Gavin (he was only 3). Thankfully we have clean margins, and it was somewhere between a Grade 1 and 2... We've been lump checking weekly since, and watching closely. Just crossing our fingers to remain lump free.

Cancer sucks, it seems like quite a few bullies have had MCT lately. More so then I remember seeing on the boards.. We'll be thinking of you, and that Riddle stays tumor free!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 pm

I found another lump on Riddle just a little while ago, on her left shoulder blade. :crybaby: I'm a complete mess, I left a message for my vet so hopefully we can get in tomorrow.

We looked into Zeolite, but I decided against it. There are a lot of good reviews on it, but also a lot of scary evidence that it can be toxic.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 am

Savage Destiny wrote:I found another lump on Riddle just a little while ago, on her left shoulder blade. :crybaby: I'm a complete mess, I left a message for my vet so hopefully we can get in tomorrow.

We looked into Zeolite, but I decided against it. There are a lot of good reviews on it, but also a lot of scary evidence that it can be toxic.

So sorry to hear there is another lump :( *big hugs*

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Hang in there!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry I haven't updated. Our vet thinks the lump on her shoulder is too small to remove right now- he couldn't even believe I found it. He doesn't want to put her through surgery for such a tiny thing, so we're going to monitor it for now, especially since she's always been a lumpy bumpy dog.

She did somehow manage to strain her left tricep. In the car. :huh?: Not sure how she managed that one. So she's on yet ANOTHER homeopathic remedy, this time for pain/inflammation, called Traumeel.

Actually I realized tonight how lucky I am that she eats ANYTHING. For instance, this is what her dinner looked like tonight:

She gobbled it up like it was nothing and licked up the stray powder. lol

This is the supplement regime JUST for Riddle, not including the cats or Melon. And not including her fish oil or probiotics, which were back in the fridge!

Poor dog. :P

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:40 am

urg, that's a lot of bottles...
But hey, if it helps, right!

They sure like to keep us on our toes huh? What with new and creative ways to make our hearts skip a beat...

:hug: :hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Nothing really productive to say :hug"

and I thought I was the only one would labeled the top of bottles like that lol

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:00 pm

The labels are for Chris' benefit if he feeds them, lol. He has a hard time keeping everything straight, so that helps!

Return to “Health Issues”