Urine Burn on dog's body

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Urine Burn on dog's body

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm

First off, I have already made the comment that some girls would think it was weird to have a picture of a dog's penis texted to them. (Rob's response: "Some ;)")

In any event, this is Patch. Or at least part of him.

Patch is a friend's dog, a pit bull if you couldn't tell, and has an odd burn-type rash in what I lovingly refer to as "The Pee Zone". The friend has asked what raw food "menus" could fix the problem. Currently, Patch is eating Pedigree and occasionally raw with carrots as treats. I suspect this means Pedigree makes up most of his meals, and he gets occasional scraps of chicken or something, I'm not entirely sure. I did suggest that they move Patch to a grain-free food, but having never seen this before, I'm not sure if diet is the solution.

Obviously a vet check is in order, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?
Amie
Regulator

Re: Urine Burn on dog's body

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Well is it a urine burn or a skin irritation from allergies and the like? If it is a urine burn, how did he get it in the first place? He shouldn't be getting a urine burn from normal peeing, even if there's something off in his system- the urine needs to have prolonged contact (i.e. he wears a belly band or lies in his own pee) to burn the skin.

Does he have any other hot spots or irritations?
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby starrlamia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Grendel gets rashes in the same exact spot! I always treat with some bag balm
Grendel has been on a raw only diet for the last 2.5 months and it still comes back, I have never actually seen him pee on himself (except his feet sometimes...) he lifts to pee and unless some dribbles sideways without me noticing...
My guess would be allergies of some sort, though I have yet to talk to my vet about it (grendel has allergies..).
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

This was all done through text, so I'll have to relay those questions to them and get back to you. That's the picture I got, and the question was phrased "What is a raw food method for changing dogs urine if they urine scald. Patch is getting all red." I'll try to get more details tomorrow when I talk to them.

Does the Bag Balm cure the red with Grendel?
Amie
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Amie wrote:This was all done through text, so I'll have to relay those questions to them and get back to you. That's the picture I got, and the question was phrased "What is a raw food method for changing dogs urine if they urine scald. Patch is getting all red." I'll try to get more details tomorrow when I talk to them.

Does the Bag Balm cure the red with Grendel?

No it doesnt cure it perse but it does look less inflamed when I put it on him reguarily. I have to be careful when I do, otherwise Brie follows him around licking him lol
The rash never bothers him, he doesnt scratch or pick at it and he doesnt care about the bag balm being applied. He is due for his annual checkup/heartworm pill buying appt so he should be going in soonish
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Is he actually peeing on himself or how is he getting urine burn? I had a foster rat terrier who peed all over his stomach and himself at first, it was decreased hugely after his neuter but in the meantime I had to clean him off each and every time he went out to potty, it was quite gross and stinky! (do intact males smell more than fixed or something?) but no burn like that. Is the dog licking that spot too?
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Well she could try adding pureed cranberries to his diet, or adding apple cider vinegar. If she goes the ACV route, she needs to get the raw, unfiltered stuff with the "mother" in the bottle.

Calendula gel is a really soothing gel that can be used on everything from sunburn to hot spots. I'd suggest she pick up some of that as well to help sooth and speed healing.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 am

Add water to the diet, and use baby wipes to clean/dry after he pees.

I very much doubt ANY diet will overcome urine scald... there are limits to the magical properties of food...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby riley_23 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Trogdor gets this when he is fed corn or food with corn products in it. He has a bit of a flare up right now so I'm wondering if its a grain allergy issue not just the corn.
riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote: there are limits to the magical properties of food...

roflmao
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 pm

My Boz has the same spot. In his case it isnt urine scalding at all, it is part of his food allergies and him licking that spot. It can be seasonal and his food allergies combined.

I use DOUXO pads down there and make sure he doesnt get anything off his food list.
jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby starrlamia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

so apparently my bf did some investigating and grendel is peeing on himself.. lol
he eats raw and drinks water... i dunno what to do about it.. gotta ask my vet.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:14 am

jtalt7 wrote:My Boz has the same spot. In his case it isnt urine scalding at all, it is part of his food allergies and him licking that spot. It can be seasonal and his food allergies combined.

Same with my Jack. I was careful to wipe his belly area after he peed but then I started to think that food allergies or environmental allergies were the culprit. An allergy test determined that he is allergic to several type of grass and barley and he is getting the allergens shots monthly. Never seen that rush again, after a couple of months of shots.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:31 am

Ashes and Mica both get similar rashes there when they are having allergic reactions.
Otis
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues