split nail bleeding - what do I do?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

split nail bleeding - what do I do?

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:30 am

I have NEVER had this happen in all my life with one of my dogs. Do I need to do anything? Looks like Bruno split one of his nails on his rear paw. It's bleeding red blood. Nothing awful but it is getting on the carpet when he sits there.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: split nail bleeding - what do I do?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am

It will bleed for a while, then stop.

If he is catching it on things and re-opening it, the nail needs to be removed. Sometimes clipping the tip will work, othertime they need either a local or even heavy sedation to pull the offending nail off so the quick can dry and heal without more trauma.

Without seeing it, I can't tell you which to do...

brunomom
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby brunomom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

UGH. I took him in. It was a BAD break. Almost 2/3 of the way up and breaking backwards towards the foot. Doc didn't trim it to the break due to bleeding...we just got it so it wasn't going to keep catching and re-opening. Then he sealed it with something.

At any rate - I will be keeping an eye on it. It's so dang nabbit cold - I think he broke it on the steps/ice coming in this morning. At least I got all the blood off my carpet.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Awww poor Bruno. I'm sure you saw on my FB when Khan split his dew claw in January. He has cracked nails before, but never split one like he did. the top and the bottom totally separated.

Khan's was cut all the way back and it is just now starting to grow back.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 pm

My girl Stella has had this happen 3 times. Was it a vertical spit going right up the nail? Vet recommended omega 3s for it and we haven't seen it since. Hers were so bad that they had to put her under to do a "deep trimming" on the nail -- it was split up to where it comes out of her paw and you could really tell it hurt.

Return to “Health Issues”