Oils supplements

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Oils supplements

Postby haircrazie016 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm

which ones do you guys like??

I've used salmon oil, anchovy oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil, and coconut oil.

flaxseed oil, didnt bode well here as it didnt agree with everyone.

I tend to like coconut oil more as a topical then in their food, but the dogs love it so I still use it as a topper.

I didnt think anchovy oil did much for them

salmon oil and fish oil pills work well and are probably my favorites for their skin and coat.

has anyone used any other ones?? what do you like about different oils, do you recommend specific brands?
haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Re: Oils supplements

Postby starrlamia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Ive just been using fish oil and coconut oil, as well as some ACV once and a while.
I just ordered some bee pollen and kelp to try out (i know not oils...) and I got some vitamin e today
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby haircrazie016 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

ive actually been thinking about trying out bee pollen too!! I am a raw honey freak, so I thought the pollen sounded great!!

Ive always thought if you have fish oil you had to give vit e at the same time or else they wouldnt absorb it?
haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby IloveBlu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:27 pm

[quote=]" Ive always thought if you have fish oil you had to give vit e at the same time or else they wouldnt absorb it?[/quote]

Does anyone have a straight answer as to if that's true or not? I read different things online.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Hemp oil.
I sell it for all my clients who cant do fish based oils. Still 2nd to fish oils but a close 2nd

I've been told by my holistic vet that vit e supplementation IS good to do if doing salmon or fish based oil for better absorption
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby haircrazie016 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 pm

do you know if hemp oil is easily digestible?
haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:43 pm

IloveBlu wrote:Does anyone have a straight answer as to if that's true or not? I read different things online.

It helps the fish oils be utilized better, but they won't get nothing out of fish oil without vitamin E. Still, I always give them in tandem. Why not get the best use from what you give?
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby starrlamia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:36 pm

how much vitamin E is recommended? I just got some tonight :)
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 pm

^ I'd rather give 200IU daily but can mainly only find it in 400ID (which I also heard is good) - I give 1000mg human fish oil gels twice a day. That's all I have ever used and I'm happy with it. Ruby's coat was very coarse and dry when we got her and now it is pretty soft. I have heard good things about coconut oil but never tried it. I'd only bother with it if it had the omegas and I have no idea if it does....
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I do fish oil and coconut oil, along with a few other supplements.

Here is some info on coconut oil, for the brand I use:
https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/
http://nutiva.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ut-oil.png

edited typos
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/es ... tty-acids/

You can search through all the article there they have some good information regarding what to use, but this one has info about vitamin e. Fish oil decreases the amount of vitamin e which is why you supplement both together.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 pm

There is a lot of good info here on vitamin e, natural vs synthetic, etc.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamine/

According to that page, 1 tbsp of wheat germ oil has 1005 of the daily value of vitamin e, and it's a natural source. Anyone ever tried it? I have seen some packaged as a supplement for dogs, but I'd probably buy something organic and human grade to try. I am wondering if that would be preferable to using a supplement because of this in the article: "Research has not found any adverse effects from consuming vitamin E in food. However, high doses of alpha-tocopherol supplements can cause hemorrhage and interrupt blood coagulation in animals, and in vitro data suggest that high doses inhibit platelet aggregation. " The article goes on to list upper intake levels that have been established.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby haircrazie016 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

star_frances wrote:There is a lot of good info here on vitamin e, natural vs synthetic, etc.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamine/

According to that page, 1 tbsp of wheat germ oil has 1005 of the daily value of vitamin e, and it's a natural source. Anyone ever tried it? I have seen some packaged as a supplement for dogs, but I'd probably buy something organic and human grade to try. I am wondering if that would be preferable to using a supplement because of this in the article: "Research has not found any adverse effects from consuming vitamin E in food. However, high doses of alpha-tocopherol supplements can cause hemorrhage and interrupt blood coagulation in animals, and in vitro data suggest that high doses inhibit platelet aggregation. " The article goes on to list upper intake levels that have been established.

thats really interesting!!
haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby star_frances » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Of course the wheat germ oil may not be good for dogs with a wheat allergy. I found a little more info:

WHEAT GERM OIL (1 tBsp):
Calories: 119
Total Fat 14g (21%)
Saturated Fat 3g (13%)
Trans Fat
Cholesterol 0 mg (0%)
Vitamin A 0 IU (0%)
Vitamin D 0 IU (0%)
Vitamin E 20.2 mg (101%)
Vitamin K 3.3 mcg (4%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids 932 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 7398 mg

That is the dosage for an adult human, btw. The dosage I found for dogs recommends 1 tsp. I am going to get some and try it. It seems easier than trying to find a natural-source vitamin e capsule.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby starrlamia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 pm

FBODGRL wrote:http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/essential-fatty-acids/

You can search through all the article there they have some good information regarding what to use, but this one has info about vitamin e. Fish oil decreases the amount of vitamin e which is why you supplement both together.

oh duh i have that book time to find it!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues