Oils supplements

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Re: Oils supplements

Postby Timas Mom » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Hemp is no worse than fish oil but not nearly like coconut. Coconut is a medium chain trigyceride so very easy to digest.
Each is better for different things.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 pm

I haven't been able to find an accurate source for dosage for dogs. What are people giving their 50-ish lb. dogs daily?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:37 pm

IloveBlu wrote:I haven't been able to find an accurate source for dosage for dogs. What are people giving their 50-ish lb. dogs daily?

For what supplements?

you can also check the link I posted on page 1 for some dosages

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm mostly concerned about the vit e. I'm afraid of overdosing on that. I don't think you can give too much fish oil (except for the runs) I will check your link. Thanks.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 pm

200 i.u is what is recommended and what I give

although there have been times I have done 400 i.u

If it is not in the link I posted the vitamin e dosage is on the bnatural site.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

I do the Vitamin E 200 IU if I have it available.
My guys get Salmon Oil. Two of the dogs get it every day and the other two don't (the other two tend to put on weight really easily)

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Is salmon oil generally better than a regular run-of-the-mill fish oil?

Can vit e cause upset stomachs?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Timas Mom wrote:Hemp oil.
I sell it for all my clients who cant do fish based oils. Still 2nd to fish oils but a close 2nd

Do you need to supplement vit e with hemp oil or is it okay on its own?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm

IloveBlu wrote:Is salmon oil generally better than a regular run-of-the-mill fish oil?

IDK if Vitamin E can upset stomachs. I only give it 2xs a week.

I tried regular fish oil - BUT the base was anchovy, sardines, and mackerel. Made one of my dogs itch like crazy. So, I started using salmon oil.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 pm

IloveBlu wrote:Is salmon oil generally better than a regular run-of-the-mill fish oil?

I haven't had any issues with stomach upset with vitamin e. Khan has been getting it for years now.

I have heard mixed things regarding the salmon oil vs fish oil. If I were you and Blu was my dog I would do straight Salmon oil, not fish oil.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Choco (45 lb) is starting fish oil along with 400 IU vitamin E. His vet said it is important to get the vitamin E d-alpha not dl-alpha for it to work. It should say which it is on the back of the bottle.
Hopefully this along with a new antihistamine should let us wean him off the steroids...

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 pm

PITtsburgher wrote:Choco (45 lb) is starting fish oil along with 400 IU vitamin E. His vet said it is important to get the vitamin E d-alpha not dl-alpha for it to work. It should say which it is on the back of the bottle.
Hopefully this along with a new antihistamine should let us wean him off the steroids...

Yes, they talk about that in the link I posted. D-alpha is naturally sourced Vit E versus Dl-alpha which is synthetic (mostly derived from petroleum, yuck...)

Haileys_Saviour
Adolescent Bully

Postby Haileys_Saviour » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:21 pm

I've never really supplemented a dog with oils or vits before. Not until I read PBF did I learn it is great for dogs.

My question is: what should I give to Hailey? For her to get everything she needs.

I feed TOTW Prairie and rotate with Innova EVO. She gets raw eggs and raw ox tail too.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Tue May 17, 2011 7:34 am

Do those of you who use hemp or coconut oil do that instead of fish oil or as a source of vitamin E? If I can get it down to one bottle that would be great but if salmon and flax seed oil will be the best and the cost is not too outrageous, I'm sure it'll be done. :P As far as special needs, I've got a 1 yo who is healthy as a horse and a 7 yo (my brothers' dog) who every other month is itching like crazy, and the vet just keeps giving him antibiotics or other allergy medicines, never pinpointing one cause... I will be switching both to a raw prey model soon, so if said diet needs more or less can someone step in ?! Thank you !

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Tue May 17, 2011 5:06 pm

From what I learned in Nutrition class, dogs have a very limited ability to use plant based fatty acids like flax seed oil. They don't have the right enzymes to convert plant based fatty acids into the ones that they can use. They need EPA which is what is in fish oil. If you're giving oils you also need vitamin E at the same time. I just give the fish oil and vitamin E as separate pills and it's not too expensive.

As far as the itchy dog, I would encourage your brother to go to another vet or to a dermatologist. Your intuition is right that the vet should be doing more diagnostics and trying to treat the underlying problem. My dog was unresponsive to regular antibiotics for skin infections because he had resistant bacteria and underlying allergies - it took a vet dermatologist to really get things under control for him and we did a lot of diagnostics.

Return to “Health Issues”