Oils supplements

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Leslie H

Re: Oils supplements

Postby Leslie H » Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
IloveBlu wrote:Is salmon oil generally better than a regular run-of-the-mill fish oil?

Can vit e cause upset stomachs?

I haven't had any issues with stomach upset with vitamin e. Khan has been getting it for years now.

I have heard mixed things regarding the salmon oil vs fish oil. If I were you and Blu was my dog I would do straight Salmon oil, not fish oil.

My understanding was salmon oil has more vitamin a and d, which can build up rather than be excreted.

BighornTermite
Super Bully

Postby BighornTermite » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Yes, I've been advised to give Vitamin E occasionally (in my case, about once a week) with the salmon oil as well.

This doesn't have to do with coat, but it's my salmon oil testimony nevertheless...

When I first got Harley, I gave him a salmon oil softgel (Trader Joe's, 1000mg, molecularly distilled) once a day to soften his coat. After eight months I ran out and didn't bother replacing. Soon after, he began favoring his front passenger-side shoulder. I didn't put it together at the time (many variables going on) but this winter I put him back on salmon oil and the limping went away within two days. I now walk/bike/tug him as hard as ever with no limping whatsoever.

Conclusion? Salmon oil is the bomb.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 am

Going to try to get my answer questioned off of this old thread before trying to make a new one.

I have 1000mg salmon oil and 400icu vitamin e supplements for Apollo who is around 70lbs. Is one each a day too much? I am thinking of alternating the two every other day, but I wasn't sure if they had to be given at the same time for better absorption. I have a giant bottle of the salmon oil, but in the past he has had some sensitivity to the oils, and since I am starting him on raw I want to keep the supplements minimal (and try to limit anything that would contribute to the tapass).

Also, I found human grade banana flavored probiotic tablets he loves... it just says they contain over a billion cultures and for humans should be taken 3x a day. I have been giving him just one around meal time, but while skimming I've read that some of you only give probiotics a couple of times a week... since it's a lighter dose, is daily okay or should I cut back?

Thanks for any input

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 am

The dosing amount for both is in the link I posted on the first page.

I give Khan 3000 mg of fish oil and 200 iu of vitamin e daily.

I give a human grade probiotic. I dose it as instructed for the human dosage. The current one I feed is a once a day. The previous one was twice a day.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 am

FBODGRL wrote:The dosing amount for both is in the link I posted on the first page.

Maybe I should have been more specific with my question... :oops:

For dogs with special needs, give 1,000 mg (180 EPA and 120 DHA) per ten pounds of body weight daily. For healthy dogs the dose would be one capsule per 20 lbs of body weight daily.
Whenever supplementing with these oils, it is a good idea to also supplement with vitamin E, as these two nutrients work best together. The dose for vitamin E for large dogs is 400 IU, medium dogs 200 IU and small dogs 100 IU daily.

Is that one 1000mg capsule per 20lbs? It just seems like way too much when the past when too large a capsule would upset his stomach... maybe I don't him enough time to adjust before lowering the dose? Or maybe he's one of those who can't tolerate salmon oil. :huh?:
Would you consider 70# medium or large? If he is considered medium, can 400iu/vit e have adverse affects?

& do you stay consistent with the probiotics because of your dogs particular needs, or is always okay to give probiotics?
When reading up on raw I saw a lot of recommendations for them but it seemed like the recommendations were for just the beginning or on an as needed basis.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes 1000mg per 20 lbs. Obviously if it upsets your dogs stomach then don't give them that much. Khan is in the 50-55 lb range and I dose as I said. Neither fish oil nor the vitamin e has ever upset his stomach. He has been on it for years.

and you would give time to adjust and then raise the dose. Usually the fish oil or salmon oil is in 1000mg capsules. So start at 1000mg and work up as he adjusts.

I personally use probiotics every day. There is nothing wrong with using it daily.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Postby white0nr1ce » Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 am

FBODGRL wrote:Yes 1000mg per 20 lbs. Obviously if it upsets your dogs stomach then don't give them that much. Khan is in the 50-55 lb range and I dose as I said. Neither fish oil nor the vitamin e has ever upset his stomach. He has been on it for years.

and you would give time to adjust and then raise the dose. Usually the fish oil or salmon oil is in 1000mg capsules. So start at 1000mg and work up as he adjusts.

I personally use probiotics every day. There is nothing wrong with using it daily.

Thanks a lot, I have a lot of places that cater these sorts of needs product wise but most of the staff at said places seems a little less than knowledgeable... Don't get my wrong I read through a lot that a lot of people have stickies on here, read a ton of links and great resources others have posted, but when it isn't in print and I have a question you (and a few others) really help me out a lot. I don't really have anywhere else I know of where I can get any sort of live response. Apollo and Jewels look great after only a week, I am excited for what else is to follow. I am so glad all of you are so willing to share your knowledge and experiences. :peace:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 28, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm also happy to help when I can. I know when I switched and especially when Khan was having diarrhea and digestive issues I was panicked and looking for answers.

austinkelly
Newborn Bully

Postby austinkelly » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Been using this fish oil since last month - http://dog-vitamins-dry-skin-fish-oil.com/. so far, so good. I never heard of coconut oil for dogs, what are the benefits of using it? Is it good for their skin as well? Also, can you use it with fish oil, or just by itself

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm

There is an article and I know the link is posted somewhere on here too...there are many benefits to coconut oil. It is said to be a preventative for many things. Not only can they/you eat it. It can also be used for skin cuts, scraps, etc. Down side is when you apply they just want to lick it off lol

Return to “Health Issues”