percent of breed with skin problems?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dr961
Super Bully

percent of breed with skin problems?

Postby dr961 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 am

Does anyone here have any idea what percentage of pit bulls are genetically prone to skin problems (due to either allergies or immune problems)? I'm starting to think close to 95%, from all the posts I read about this issue, not to mention first hand experience with my female. At first I thought maybe being white or pink skinned made dogs more prone to skin troubles, but reading posts from people with dogs of many different colors kind of blows that theory. Do pit mixes with non-bulldog or terrier breeds generally have fewer skin problems than purebred pit bulls?

Amie

Re: percent of breed with skin problems?

Postby Amie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 am

Since we don't even know what percent of our dogs are pure American Pit Bull Terrier, I can't imagine there's a way to know how many have skin issues.

In my house, it's 0%

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:16 am

I think it has more to do with poor breeding and the fact that out of the few hundred people who post on here only the ones having problems are seen, ie no one posts about the lack of allergy issues they have with their dogs.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:56 am

starrlamia wrote:I think it has more to do with poor breeding and the fact that out of the few hundred people who post on here only the ones having problems are seen, ie no one posts about the lack of allergy issues they have with their dogs.

Agreed. My dog is a BYB pitty and she has horrible allergies. I think it is so prevalent in the breed because of all the poor breeding but there are plenty of pit bulls/pit bull mixes that don't have allergy issues.

Can't really assign a percentage to such a huge number of dogs based on this forum/friends with pit bulls. I def don't think it is 95%. And then you'd have to rate it based on severity, some dogs with skin issues aren't true medical issues, just may be on a poor diet or poor care.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:05 pm

My dogs both have skin issues.

However, my APBT came from a BYB, and my other dog is a mix.

I have seen plenty of pit bulls at the shelter and out and about that didn't have any apparent skin problems at all.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:18 pm

My presumed APBT (originally cruelty / fighting case) has pretty bad skin issues.
My girlfriend's little pit/mix (originally shelter / stray) doesn't.
There's my n=2 for ya :)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:30 pm

neither of mine have issues.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Allergies and skin issues here for Khan

My other pit bull (RIP Boomer) had demodex mange, but no other issues for the time that he was with me

AmstaffMommy
Bully Ambassador

Postby AmstaffMommy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Rocky has allergies, he is an Amstaff from a breeder.

But they are seasonal (summer) and only show up for a few months, he gets minor hives that are treatable with benedryl

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, of my 4, two of whom I'll say are clear mixes, while the other two are less evidently so (but then who knows, 3 are rescues and one is from byb) - of 4, two have pretty bad skin issues (one extremely so).

My friend has a rescue as well, and her's is allergic to chicken, and it shows in skin issues.

Oddly enough, it's the white ones in my experience who are free and clear of skin issues. Go fig.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Out of the 4 APBT my whole family owns not just me 3 of them had and one still has skin issues.
My dog thankfully is not prone to allergies but it sure seems like a problem with idiots breeding without knowing.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

My 2 (almost) 8-year-old black APBTs from BYBers have both had demodex mange in the last year, but responded well to treatment.

White/Brindle rescue from who knows where continues to have undiagnosed issues. It isn't allergies. It isn't mange. It isn't thyroid. And there are a million other things it isn't.

So, of the 5 APBTs I have owned, 3 have had skin issues.

Return to “Health Issues”