Freaking out

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Freaking out

Postby Jazzy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 pm

So....2 weeks ago I noticed a...papule...pimple...small red lump...on Veronica's vulva. I made a concerted effort not to panic like I usually do; but after a week of no change...I took her to the vet.

The vet freaks me out with "canine transmissable venereal disease" or something to that effect. Which I go home and research and talk to Veronica's dermatologist and pretty much rule out. But the vet also said...possible bacterial infection and put her on clavamox for 10 days and also mentioned possible tumor but said if it was a tumor it wouldn't respond to the antibiotic.

So...9 days later...have a re-check and the bump is smaller and less red but still there. This is a different vet but she concludes from the first vet's notes that it is indeed smaller. I also ask her to check a small under the skin lump/bump on Veronica's left inner thigh area that I found last Saturday which hasn't grown. So of course the vet concludes it could be anything from benign to serious no way to tell; and she starts talking about mast cell tumors.

Now at this point I'm still fixated on the fact that the one on her vulva is smaller and seems to be headed in the direction of possibly going away. I ask if we can stay on the clavamox for an additional 10 days to see what happens. The other lump I noticed is tiny and could be anything. I would think the course of action would be to wait and see...or an aspiration (which the vet didn't mention for either; and I forgot to ask about). But the vet was really harping on the mast cell tumor possibility and when I was leaving the girl at the desk was trying to go over an estimate for mast cell tumor removal. WTF? In my mind we had not skipped to major surgery...

I had let Veronica's dermatologist look at the bump on her vulva Thursday when she was in for her injection and she said it "seemed sort of like a pimple" - she was of the mind to wait and see if the antibiotics worked but did say if it didn't go away it had to come off. (Actually my husband took Veronica to the dermatologist, and didn't think to ask her to check the other newly discovered bump.)

So here we are. I am totally freaking out. Actually to be honest, I rather think the vet is jumping the gun...but that still doesn't stop me from freaking out. What I don't like about our vet practice is that you practically get a different vet everytime you go. This may prompt me to find a new vet; because before anyone cuts Veronica opne...I'm getting a second opinion. Or a third actually. I really like her dermatologist and if she's willing to address these 2 issues than I do trust her. If not...I need to find one vet that I trust who will be Veronica's primary and not keep playing musical vets.

So...I'm not sure what the point of this post is...other than the need to vent that I'm freaking out. And I know I'm freaking Veronica out because she's a very emotionally sensitive dog and I'm sure me having my head up her butt with a flashlight every 15 minutes looking for some "change" isn't helping.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Freaking out

Postby April » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 pm

My dog had what looked like a pimple on it also, I freaked out but didn't really payed attention to it.
I checked a few days and was still there eventually it went away, I didn't really think much of it since she wasn't
complaining.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 pm

I hate that about my vet hospital as well... there are several different vets working there, seems like you get a different one with a different opinion every time you go in! I would definitely get a second opinion as far as the MCT theory goes. I find it amazing that a vet would jump to Mast Cell Tumors without doing a fine needle aspirate first! That sounds rather careless on his part. No need to go freaking you out without at least trying to do an aspirate. I mean MCTs are a serious thing, but you don't go around make assumptions like that. I think it's time to get a different vet's opinion.

I really hope nothing turns out to be MCT. Hopefully, that vet was just being a paranoid nutcase. :hug:

I've had to stop myself from checking Isabeau out for new MCTs every time I pet her. She seemed to sense that I was being a nut again, and would get this look on her face like "oh God, here we go again...", LOL.

Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm

I hate these types of issues, and the fact that our dogs cannot talk to us roflmao

However, if I were in your shoes, I would have any growth that does not 'dissipate' biopsied (needle aspiration, if possible).

Since you like V.'s dermatologist, perhaps she could recommend a vet, so that you don't end up being bounced from one to another at the clinic?

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

April - I wish I could be more like you. I do feel there's a reasonable chance that everything will resolve and I could have spared myself a nervous breakdown.

Rescue & Madeleine - If nothing else this situation is driving home what I've suspected for awhile...I need to find a new vet. I've only had this vet for about 3 years...ever since my previous vet of 15+ years seemed to...go a little bonkers to put it bluntly.

I tried to keep an open mind...I figured these type of multi vet practices were the wave of the future...and this place is really high tech state of the art...but I can't cope with the rotating vets...there is absolutely no consistency...and I think it's important. I think past history and general health is a good piece of making an acurate diagnosis.

We have a re-check 3/12. If the pimple on the vuvla is still there and/or the bump on her thigh...I am going to ask her dermatologist to recommend a vet and get a second opinion. I have to update her dermatologist tomorrow...so I am actually going to ask her what the reason for not suggesting a needle aspiration is. The bump on her vulva may be too small? It'a about 1 - 2 mm. The other bump I was fully expecting, watch and wait, if it gets a little bigger do a needle biopsy...so when she started right in talking about surgery and margins and anethesia...she sort of lost me.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I will say Lib gets pimples in inappropriate places all the time.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm

That sucks and :hug: to both of you

My vets office currently has 2 vets, but since I have been going there sometimes they have 3 or 4. I always request my vet. I actually pretty much refuse to see the other vet in the office. Although last time I had to take Khan in for a split dew claw I was kind of in a bind since my vet was off for a few days and it was 5pm...so I did see the other vet and she was better than she has been. Is there one vet you like in the office that maybe you could request to see?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Moira gets those ickies on her lady bits too, and she licks constantly which makes them worse. The vet put her on Clavamox for 10 days, because she had an infection from constantly licking at it. I went to the pharmacy and got some hydrogen peroxide wipes, I wipe her down twice a day with them and am seeing a lot of improvement.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Gypsy will get those sometimes in the summer, when all the nasty pollen and allergens are floating around.

I'll keep you and Miss. V in my thoughts :hug:

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks guys!

FBO - I couldn't say if there is someone in the practice I like...there is one vet I saw a few times that I don't think is a good fit for me. Other than that they have several "part time vets". The one we saw today, I saw once before @ 2 or 3 years ago. But to answer your question...none of them have particularly impressed me. Either I haven't seen them enough to form an opinion, or I formed an opinion and it isn't positive. I think it is time to look elsewhere.

Star & Libby - how long do these "pimples" hang around? Veronica has been on clavamox for 9 days...and as I said; it is definitely smaller and I think less red...but clearly still...there. I was feeling good about it being smaller until I read that MCT change size getting beigger and smaller. So far it's just gotten smaller... :dunno:

Thinking about it...I'm kind of pissed off that she seemed to simply assume it was a MCT; like "Oh no biggie, we'll just cut everything out...and if it's nothing, no harm done"...like getting intubated and cut open is "no big deal". She even made a comment to the effect of, "well she is rather young...but look at the pediatric hospitals". I think in my search I'd like to find a vet with at least a modicum of bedside manner...and the way they were so quick to start shoving estimates in my face and breaking everything down with the cost like it was a done deal...

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Jazzy wrote:Star & Libby - how long do these "pimples" hang around? Veronica has been on clavamox for 9 days...and as I said; it is definitely smaller and I think less red...but clearly still...there. I was feeling good about it being smaller until I read that MCT change size getting beigger and smaller. So far it's just gotten smaller... :dunno:

Moira has pretty much always had them (they come and go), but they are a lot smaller and heal a lot quicker since I have been using the wipes.

She has excess folds of skin in that area, and I think the area retains some drops of urine because of the excess skin. So she licks it a lot and the pimples ensue. Hoping over time, keeping it cleaner we may see an end to it.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:02 pm

From when Gypsy first gets them to when I medicate her for them, it takes about a week and a half, two weeks for them to dry up and go away completely.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

I don't mean to thread hijack, but is there such a thing as having a lump that is TOO small to aspirate?

Maybelle has a lump on her ear that was diagnosed as a tumor. I didn't post a thread because I didn't want to make it real, I guess. The vet said it was too small to do anything, and just watch it. If it changed at all, then we're going into surgery ASAP (which freaked me out). I was upset that we couldn't do anything about it to figure out exactly what it was.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

I can't say much about the 'pimples'... as I don't really have any experience with them. I know our vet suggested using stridex wipes on Boss's chin because he had some acne when we first got him. (We never did though because it cleared up once he was taking allergy meds and on good food)

But what I'm really replying to say is that I do think you need to find a new vet. I can speak from my own experience...the practice we go to has (I think) 4 doctors, and they all will see each others' patients... BUT when scheduling an appointment the receptionist ALWAYS asks if we have a doctor preference. We always see the same doctor unless it is urgent and he isn't in the office on the day of the appointment. And actually we started seeing him because his wife was our original preference and she was on maternity leave...(we like the husband better, but she is now a stay at home mom so it worked out well for us).

I personally don't think that anyone should use a vet that doesn't blow them out of the water... maybe I just have high expectations because I LOVE ours THAT much...but I just don't think that should be an area to 'settle'... you know what I mean? I think you should shop around, find someone that makes you say "Wow Veronica! Dr. so-and-so is WONDERFUl!" ... someone that you trust 100%, and isn't just trying to make a buck.

Anyway, I hope everything is okay with V lady. keep us updated, and keep calm for now...it's probably nothing. :hug:

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:00 am

It doesn't sound like the pimple is any big deal, however, the lump would freak me out. I am uber paranoid about Mast Cell. My poor vet is constantly looking at things I find suspicious (which turn out to be nothing thankfully) Out typical convo goes something like this
Me- What the hell is THAT??
Him- What?
Me- THAT! Right here, do you see that? Is that a LUMP???
Him- Hm (peering intently, inches away), looks like a scab..... a very small scab.
Me- Well, he did take one of his famous 'crap on a bush' (which consists of crapping as far up and into a bush as you possibly can) on a rosebush two days ago, I suppose it COULD be a scab.

Once he DID have a bump that didn't go away and though needle biopsy showed nothing, I made him take it off anyway while he was getting his teeth cleaned. Sent it in for biopsy and it was just a skin tag, but I feel better with it gone.

Point being, I know you are as paranoid as I am, so get that thing aspirated.

Return to “Health Issues”