ear cleaning??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

ear cleaning??

Postby arlene2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

this is my first dog with erect ears, so i've been wondering if there are any home solutions for cleaning mildly dirty ears, they aren't filthy, or infected or anything, but dirt does attach itself to the inside, or does it have to be professionally done?

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Re: ear cleaning??

Postby ClickNtreat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

Our vet recommends we clean all of our dogs ears once a week, erect and floppy ears. There are lots of cleaning solutions in the pet stores or your vet will sell you some.

Mine just expect it now, same as teeth cleaning. Not appreciated but they let me do because they know a chicken treat follows ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 am

I think dirty ears should be cleaned, clean ears should be left alone.

If your pups ears are dirty, my favorite cleaning solution is Epi-otic, available through your veterinarian. Its gentle, doesn't smell bad, and I just generally like it a lot.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 pm

good advice! what i've been doing before now is just takin a very damp cloth and cleaning the entrance of his ears, not deep. they aren't dirty dirty but the rainy season that's been going on has made the dirt get a little deeper than usual. i went to the petmart today and was looking at what all they had, was gonna get some, but wanted to see what you guys recommended first before maybe getting something that wasn't that great. so i got him some kong tennis balls instead, but definately will see what brands of ear cleaner i can find, next week. this store has food brands such as wellness and the blue buffalo, so i'm thinkin they carry good brands of most other care products too.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm

how would i know if the pet place that im shopping at supports puppy mills?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm

arlene2010 wrote:how would i know if the pet place that im shopping at supports puppy mills?

do they have puppies in their cages? the most likely answer is yes.

I used Epi-otic as well but we don't clean ears unless they need it, a little dust and dirt living in the desert is nothing to blink an eye at.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Adrianne wrote:
arlene2010 wrote:how would i know if the pet place that im shopping at supports puppy mills?

do they have puppies in their cages? the most likely answer is yes.

I used Epi-otic as well but we don't clean ears unless they need it, a little dust and dirt living in the desert is nothing to blink an eye at.

i didnt see or hear any puppies, but they did have hamsters and other small furries.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 pm

PetSmart does not support puppy mills. We don't sell any puppies/dogs or cats. We have cats available for adoption through a local adoption agency and we have dog rescue groups come in on certain weekends. We also have a fund called PetSmart Charities where customers and employees donate money to care for the homeless pets in our care.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:23 pm

KittyNyanNyan wrote:PetSmart does not support puppy mills. We don't sell any puppies/dogs or cats. We have cats available for adoption through a local adoption agency and we have dog rescue groups come in on certain weekends. We also have a fund called PetSmart Charities where customers and employees donate money to care for the homeless pets in our care.

i know petsmart doesn't, petsmart is awsome BTW, i go in there just to see the kitties, ferrets n what not. the place i've been goin to is called petmart, without the s, lol. their prices are a little crazy on some stuff, but they have really good brands, and durable toys.

as far as his ears go, i been havin to put cut ointment on it, cuz the cat smacked him and caught his left ear. the poor thing, it's not a horrible cut, looks like the nail just caught the skin and pulled. although an outside cats nails are FILTHY,lol. doesn't seem to be bothering him, he doesn't try itching it or anything. but my god did it look like he got slaughtered when he came in, i didn't see how that much blood came out of that. it had already stopped bleeding by the time he came in. but my fiance was flippin out though.

Return to “Health Issues”