Dozer's Vet Visit- not good

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dozer's Vet Visit- not good

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am

My sister is at the vet clinic today getting estimates, and getting ready to set up a "dozer cancer" fund.I never thought this would be us. Never.

We will get through this. We have to. It's Dozer. He's my side kick through life and worth every ounce of stress this brings.
Im working overtime on my lunch for more $ today. I worked OT yesterday too, and am pushing these sales like crazy. :eek:

I hope my boy doesn't feel the stress that is coming from me. He doesn't need it.

It's not like taking off his tail is going to be easy. The location makes the doctor uncomfortable bc of the sphincter nerve right there. However I am prepared to have my boy in diapers, at the same time that almost seems selfish of me to do that to him.
It's such a tough decision to make. All 3 doctors at the clinic are looking at options today and Im supposed to hear from Ash by this evening. I need like a hug in pill form to ride this out. I feel like crying every minute I think of it.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Once you figure out what you are going to do, this could be option for $$ too.
http://www.themagicbulletfund.org/

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm

I am so sorry. You and Dozer are in my prayers.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:10 pm

So i've read and I can't seem to find anywhere where it says what type of cancer this is? Is it Mast Cell? If so, what is the mitotic index? If it's zero, then that means the cells aren't dividing...which means it's not spreading. If it were my dog, and the original growth had been there for a while (wasn't a sudden, fast growing tumor), and the mitotic index was zero or very low, then I wouldn't do the amputation. To me, if there wasn't a risk (or there was a very minimal risk) of it spreading...then I wouldn't risk my dog loosing control of it's bowels. So before you make any decisions, you need to ask for a copy of the histopath report from lab, and find out what the mitotic index was.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 am

Dozer goes in this week to have his stitches removed, and I will talk to Dr. Cord about the mitotic index.
I am leaning toward keeping his tail for many reasons.
If leaving the tail means I have very little time with him, then of course I will have it amputated.
The location of the lump is what makes it difficult to make this decision. The crop would leave 0 nubbin at all. The crop from what I understand is a huge risk for hitting nerves in that region.

I am going to have a long talk with the dr. this week and find out more info .
This is all so stressful and discouraging. I love my dog so much. I want him forever...

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 am

tia_leigha wrote:This is all so stressful and discouraging. I love my dog so much. I want him forever...

I'm sorry you're going through this :( And I think we can all understand how much you love him and want him forever. :hug:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

tia_leigha wrote:Dozer goes in this week to have his stitches removed, and I will talk to Dr. Cord about the mitotic index.
I am leaning toward keeping his tail for many reasons.
If leaving the tail means I have very little time with him, then of course I will have it amputated.
The location of the lump is what makes it difficult to make this decision. The crop would leave 0 nubbin at all. The crop from what I understand is a huge risk for hitting nerves in that region.

I am going to have a long talk with the dr. this week and find out more info .
This is all so stressful and discouraging. I love my dog so much. I want him forever...

Have you talked to another vet for a different opinion. I am not sure of the risks with the nerves in the tail. What are the other reasons you would want to keep it?

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't have anything helpful to add...

just that I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

:hug:

bethh
Super Bully

Postby bethh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Any news?

Return to “Health Issues”