Demodectic stray pup

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Demodectic stray pup

Postby afrikaPB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:05 am

Hi,
I picked up a stray puppy in Turlock (CA) this past weekend and thought I would post in case anyone can help out.
A little background on his story: We found "Nugget" (because he loves them, and because he looks like a plucked chicken), on a country road rooting through some trash. He is 6-8 months old. My vet did a skin scrape and says he has demodex mange, a secondary skin infection and is very underweight.
He is now on Ivermectin, an antibiotic, daily baths with Etiderm shampoo and a weekly Lymdyp.
He is getting 3 cups of Instinct kibble per day, plus a skin/coat supplement called Lipederm. He also gets peanut butter kongs, raw bones and bully sticks.
He smells awful, is 90% hairless, very scabby on his head and back, and somewhat itchy. He isn't neutered, knew zero commands, but is so food motivated that getting him to comply with requests is no issue at all. His tail is always wagging, and he surprisingly active and strong when not asleep (which is most of the time). He LOVES spending time in my car and has taken nicely to his crate. He is dog friendly and wants to love all people, though he seems to be wondering over many peoples unwillingness to pet him. :oops:
If anyone has any feeding advice, ideas for supplements (food or brands), or health advice about bringing him to a healthy weight and especially regarding the his skin I would appreciate the input!
Also... this guy will eventually go up for adoption, so if anyone is interested in fostering or adopting, please let me know, and feel free to pass the word along. He is wonderful, will bond tightly to his new people, and is so so eager to please those who bring the kibble.
Follow links for pics:
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/mrnugget1/?action=view&current=f07f3988.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1200.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb333%2Fmrnugget1%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D996b3afc.jpg
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/mrnugget1/?action=view&current=f07f3988.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1200.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb333%2Fmrnugget1%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dd3f7a790.jpg
:inlove:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Demodectic stray pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 am

Time and TLC are best for his skin, in addition to a proper mite protocol. Feed a quality food, and a fish oil supplement, otherwise I would just ensure he has a happy structured home life and he will get better.

Lyme dips are not necessary if appropriate doses of ivermectin are being given.

His skin should improve (infections, odor) within a week or two, but it may take months for the hair to regrow.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 am

Google "Dermacton", its the best for hair regrowth. One of my dogs had bald ear tips when we rescued him and it got the fur back quite quickly and it stopped him scratching them. I also use it on rashes that both the bullies we have owned seem prone to it worked for all 3 dogs.

The only down side is it smells really strong because it is aromatherapy based, but it does clear my sinus issues when I put it on the dogs.

If you are working for a no kill shelter or a rescue.org they donate free product for before and after photos. Actually anyone can get free product for photos, but rescues and shelters get the stuff upfront. Where as the general public get a refund or a free product after they send photos.

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 am

f you are working for a no kill shelter or a rescue.org they donate free product for before and after photos. Actually anyone can get free product for photos, but rescues and shelters get the stuff upfront. Where as the general public get a refund or a free product after they send photos.

That is great to know. My sister works for a mobile vet clinic servicing the homeless, so I think we could go through them.

Return to “Health Issues”