Garlic for dogs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Haileys_Saviour
Adolescent Bully

Garlic for dogs?

Postby Haileys_Saviour » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:08 pm

So does anyone on here give their dogs garlic?

I've read about it's benefits:
http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

But also about it being harmful to dogs:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html
(Scroll down a bit)

If you are, what form are you giving it to your dogs in (dried, garlic oil, fresh)? How many times a day in a week? What benefits has it had for your dog?

If not, why? Have you had bad experiences? Please share if you don't mind.

So what how do the PBF members deal with giving dogs to their garlic?

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Garlic for dogs?

Postby lilangel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:57 am

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure a dog would have to eat quite a lot of garlic to have an adverse reaction. Like, a LOT of garlic. Much more than you'd put in their feed as a supplement. We got this really nice bottle of local organic apple cider vinegar infused with a whole pound of garlic. It's for salads and for just drinking. Yeah, the bottle suggests even drinking a daily shot glass of it, which I tried, and it's really yummy. Anyways , I splash some on the raw stuff and the dogs seem to go gaga. I don't use a lot, just a splash, maybe a TBS. No noticeable side effects besides dogs bouncing up and down, spinning in circles, falling over from the wiggles, grunting, and snarfing up their food, but they do that anyways. :mmm:

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 am

I don't know that much about garlic but I believe in feeding small amounts of it. I get lazy but for a while, I was giving one raw clove every other day (mainly for flea control but I couldn't determine any results). I currrently have a jar of the 'brewers yeast with garlic', but I cannot determine how much garlic is in it with my limited math as it addresses per pound or per jar and I only give 2 tablets.... I gave up on trying to calculate. I'm not a worrywort for things - I'll let Ruby eat a chocolate chip or two if I drop one on the floor and I let her eat apples and peanuts and leftover spaghetti sauce with onion and raw pork and tablespoons of beer.... So some may cross their fingers and say 'bad' but you have to look at the big picture and weigh pros vs cons. I dont' think dried garlic is supposed to have and many good properties - but I also think that is what is in the brewers yeast tabs. I think of it mostly for anti-flea properties in dogs than for other health conditions.

I frankly haven't seen overwhelming results from ANY of the supplements I give (don't tell my husband who is waiting for me to say that!)! This is the 2nd bottle for the yeast with garlic. The biggest thing overall is that Ruby's coat got soft and shinier than when we got her < and I once wondered if that would ever happen. But I cannot say what did it tho I am convinced daily dosing with fish oil has been a huge contributor. Couldn't tell any diff with feeding cider vinegar either but I might add that back anyway just because it 'sounds good' on paper.

DH who is an engineer argues with me and thinks this is mostly hocus pocus like fad diets and fad health worries like coffee and alcohol and eggs.... So all I get from him is flak tho I have managed to get him to take vitamins and glucosamine at lunch. I think we can make ourselves feel better that all of these things do something but I think it really takes mega doses of many things to see any real changes (if changes are desired).... I don't know...kinda rambling - but Ruby currently does get 6 pills for breakfast and 5 pills for dinner........ including the yeast with garlic tabs.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I don't feed raw garlic, but I did notice that when I started feeding raw meat to the dogs, they didn't have many, if any fleas. Once in awhile they'll have one or two - but they don't stay and they don't infest the house.

I've heard that 1 clove a day is good for flea management - but the key is to have your dog's body healthy enough so that it's producing some natural deterrent.

When I eat healthy(raw vegan foods), Mosquitoes don't bite me. It kinda worried me, like maybe I had a really bad deficiency or something. lol I had my blood tested and everything was normal.
Strange, yet uber awesome. Then again, I also don't get the flu - so there's the possiblity that I'm an alien. lol

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:45 pm

I give my dogs brewer's yeast & garlic tablets for flea control. Not sure how much garlic is actually in the tablets. I've been using them for probably 3 years now, not one of the dogs have ever had a flea problem. I think garlic in moderation, isn't going to cause any problems.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am

Onions and members of that family cause lysis of red blood cells.

Onions are much like grapes - nobody knows what the toxic dose is and it appears quite variable from dog to dog.

I'm more likely to feed my dogs chocolate than garlic... its toxic, yes, but the safety margin is well known and well demarcated.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 pm

I feel my dogs BARF, and include one clove of garlic every couple of days in the vegetable glop. They haven't had to be on flea or tick medicine since I started feeding them raw.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Beowulf wrote:I feel my dogs BARF, and include one clove of garlic every couple of days in the vegetable glop. They haven't had to be on flea or tick medicine since I started feeding them raw.

Don't move to the midwest... your dog would be a walking tick-borne disease magnet...

If garlic were truly as effective as everyone would like to believe, then we wouldn't need Frontline, Advantix, Revolution and the like.

Do you give your dog heartworm preventatives?

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Beowulf wrote:I feel my dogs BARF, and include one clove of garlic every couple of days in the vegetable glop. They haven't had to be on flea or tick medicine since I started feeding them raw.

Don't move to the midwest... your dog would be a walking tick-borne disease magnet...

If garlic were truly as effective as everyone would like to believe, then we wouldn't need Frontline, Advantix, Revolution and the like.

Yes, they are on heartguard year round.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Heck, if raw food were the amazing flea deterrent that people always claim, we wouldn't even have fleas. I happen to know for a fact that fleas predate kibble.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 am

I know many who swear by raw and garlic lower if not eliminating their flea issues.

To each their own... and I'll continue my happy dance that those blood sucking d-bags don't exist in vegas.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:08 am

I feed my dogs garlic, not on a daily basis. Shay's diatician recommended it on her cancer diet.
I haven't used frontline, etc in a couple years and haven't had any flea problems.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:50 am

The feeding of garlic and a dog not getting fleas are not necessarily correlated. None of my dogs get any topical or oral flea meds and they've also never had fleas. They also don't eat garlic. We live in an area that has a lot of fleas.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 am

All I know is that the summer before I started feeding raw, my dogs all had fleas and ticks and we were on frontline. Now we aren't. Whatever the reason, that's good enough for me.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 am

Adrianne wrote:To each their own... and I'll continue my happy dance that those blood sucking d-bags don't exist in vegas.

Or Utah (knock on wood)

Beowulf wrote:All I know is that the summer before I started feeding raw, my dogs all had fleas and ticks and we were on frontline. Now we aren't. Whatever the reason, that's good enough for me.
:thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”