Tick control for hairless dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Tick control for hairless dog?

Postby EmmaLove » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Any recommendations on a tick control product other than Advantage or Frontline? Tivi had a tick (it's removed and he's fine), but his dad wants to get him on a tick product- but I don't think the liquid type you drop on their necks would work on him since he doesn't have fur there- I think it would drip off him. Any suggestions?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Tick control for hairless dog?

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 pm

The liquids are technically supposed to go on the skin. I'm thinking it would probably be somewhat easier to apply without fur :dunno:

What I do when I apply is squeeze it a little and wait for it to absorb and then squeeze some more. If I don't do it that what it all turns into a glob mess on fur. If no one has any other suggestions I would think that type of applying method would work. It takes a biut of time to put on, because you are doing a little bit at a time though. Are we talking about THE Tivi? If so he seems laid back enough that he would be able to do it that way.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Topical treatments do not work correctly on hairless animals, have him switch to an orally given medication. I know this from first-hand experience ;)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:20 pm

pacopoe wrote:Topical treatments do not work correctly on hairless animals, have him switch to an orally given medication. I know this from first-hand experience ;)

lol

Yeah someone with a hairless animal probably knows best! What do you give orally? Not that I have any hairless animals, just cause I am curious.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Sentinal works, but fleas also can't really hitch on hairless things so prevention isn't a huge issue. Pretty easy to do a visual for ticks after a hike. With the topical stuff it needs hairs and the oils on the hairs to transfer properly (which is also why you shouldn't apply those things directly after a bath, the hair has been stripped of oils).

Doesn't cover fleas, but Heartguard is pretty important with the skinned ones. Xdog isn't on any flea/tick preventative, but my cat takes Sentinal since she tends to get a reaction to the topical stuff.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:38 pm

sounds like hairless dogs are the way to go. <eyeing clippers> :aha:

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm

lilangel wrote:sounds like hairless dogs are the way to go. <eyeing clippers> :aha:

Nair lasts longer ;)

EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm

FBODGRL wrote:The liquids are technically supposed to go on the skin. I'm thinking it would probably be somewhat easier to apply without fur :dunno:

What I do when I apply is squeeze it a little and wait for it to absorb and then squeeze some more. If I don't do it that what it all turns into a glob mess on fur. If no one has any other suggestions I would think that type of applying method would work. It takes a biut of time to put on, because you are doing a little bit at a time though. Are we talking about THE Tivi? If so he seems laid back enough that he would be able to do it that way.

Yes, it's for THE Tivi ;). And we can't have nasty ticks infesting our sweet lug! :eek: So his dad was actually thinking about doing what you suggested with the slow drops, but not sure now after Pacopoe's comments. I think we'll look into an oral tablet.

pacopoe wrote:Sentinal works, but fleas also can't really hitch on hairless things so prevention isn't a huge issue. Pretty easy to do a visual for ticks after a hike. With the topical stuff it needs hairs and the oils on the hairs to transfer properly (which is also why you shouldn't apply those things directly after a bath, the hair has been stripped of oils).

Doesn't cover fleas, but Heartguard is pretty important with the skinned ones. Xdog isn't on any flea/tick preventative, but my cat takes Sentinal since she tends to get a reaction to the topical stuff.

He doesn't have any flea issues, just an occasional tick. Does Sentinel work for Ticks? I was researching it and it looks like it's just for heartworm. If not, do you know of an oral medication specifically for ticks?

Thanks guys for the feedback!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Sentinel is just for heartworm and fleas, it doesnt cover ticks.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:50 pm

I recently got amitraz collars for my dogs... its called the Preventic collar. The amitraz will be absorbed over time so it actually prevents ticks on the whole dog rather than just a regional prevention like most OTC collars.

I've only had the collars a week, so no real results yet, but the reviews on the vet board are good.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:36 pm

I second the Preventic collar. When I worked in a vet hospital, we used to prescribe those to dogs that lived in heavily tick-infested areas. Sometimes the topicals weren't cutting it, so they would use a Preventic collar along with a topical treatment. They seemed to work very well.

EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:45 pm

That's interesting, I'll tell his dad to ask the vet about the Preventic collar. I always thought flea/tick collars were unsafe, but this sounds different if you get it from the vet with a prescription?

Do you know if the dog has to wear the collar at all times, or just when going out on hikes, etc.? Cuz he's not big on collars, so I don't know if dad will go for this option.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 pm

JennieEpps wrote:That's interesting, I'll tell his dad to ask the vet about the Preventic collar. I always thought flea/tick collars were unsafe, but this sounds different if you get it from the vet with a prescription?

Do you know if the dog has to wear the collar at all times, or just when going out on hikes, etc.? Cuz he's not big on collars, so I don't know if dad will go for this option.

They do have to wear it at all times, it takes time for the amitraz to be absorbed into the skin.

I take my dogs collars off for agility/obedience class so I don't look like a bad owner (because yes, most tick collars are worthless), but otherwise they have to wear them all the time.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:38 pm

What about the lyme vaccine, would that help with the hairless dog?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:18 pm

dogs4jen wrote:What about the lyme vaccine, would that help with the hairless dog?

Lyme vaccine is great, but it doesn't cover ehrlichia, anaplasma or rocky mountain spotted fever...

Return to “Health Issues”