Tick control for hairless dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Re: Tick control for hairless dog?

Postby EmmaLove » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Lyme vaccine is great, but it doesn't cover ehrlichia, anaplasma or rocky mountain spotted fever...

Shoot... so the collars have to be worn at all times, and there isn't a full-proof vaccine for tick diseases? Are there any other oral medications that you know of? Or, what do you think about administering the Advantage or Frontline drops very slowly, like FBODGRL mentioned earlier? Or are drops not properly absorbed without hair and hair oils?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:33 pm

I would imagine just applying it slowly so it is absorbed and doesn't rub off (I often recommend applying right before a walk for distraction) would work just fine. I did a quick search, and did not find any mention that Frontline and other oil-based products are less effective in hairless breeds.

Tivi isn't truly hairless either, he's just bald :D

EmmaLove
Matured Bully

Postby EmmaLove » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I would imagine just applying it slowly so it is absorbed and doesn't rub off (I often recommend applying right before a walk for distraction) would work just fine. I did a quick search, and did not find any mention that Frontline and other oil-based products are less effective in hairless breeds.

Tivi isn't truly hairless either, he's just bald :D

Makes sense, I think he's going to try it this way. Thanks Misskiwi!

CharlieBrown
Newborn Bully

Postby CharlieBrown » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:40 pm

My pup CB has very little fur due to a server case of mange. It wasn't until a few months ago that I started him on the drops. Im really not a fan but we do frequent the woods often so I do apply them regularaly. The way i do it is by only doing a few drops at a time and letting them soak in before applying more. I usually do it over the course of a full day...otherwise he turns into a grease ball but it seems to be the only way and the only option at this time

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

Oh, poor Charlie Brown! I hope you can get his mange cured soon, that looks awful.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Just a reminder: dogs that are on an SSRI such as fluoxetine (Prozac) should not use amitraz, the active ingredient in Preventic. Amitraz is actually an MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor), which reacts with SSRIs. You also shouldn't use anything with Amitraz if your dog is on Anipryl (the dementia drug, also used for Cushing's) or selegeline. All these potential cross-reactions are why it's always a good idea to check with your vet before adding another drug to your dog's routine, even if that drug is over-the-counter.

I'm bummed about this, because we live in the highest risk area in the US for Lymes, and ticks are thick on the ground. Today, while out in the woods, I got 2 ticks inside my clothes and ready to embed, even though I was wearing bug-off clothing, had sprayed tick spray on my clothes, and had tucked all my clothes in to my socks, etc. Ticks love me. They also love our dogs, and Frontline and K( Advantix don't seem to be working as well anymore. I had wanted to add a Preventic collar to one of the topicals, but my vet checked and saw that Vanya's Prozac makes that a non-starter.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Tick control for hairless dog?

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:59 pm

CharlieBrown wrote:My pup CB has very little fur due to a server case of mange. It wasn't until a few months ago that I started him on the drops. Im really not a fan but we do frequent the woods often so I do apply them regularaly. The way i do it is by only doing a few drops at a time and letting them soak in before applying more. I usually do it over the course of a full day...otherwise he turns into a grease ball but it seems to be the only way and the only option at this time

Wow! That's some bad mange! Poor guy.

iluvk9
Newborn Bully

Postby iluvk9 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:12 am

I live on Long Island, with lots of woods and ticks. I live next to the Greenbelt, which is nature preserve area. For years now, I have used the supplement, NUPRO to keep fleas and ticks off my dogs. I recently lost my Golden, Lenny, but he had that double coat thing going on, and he never had a tick or flea. :) In the almost 10 years I have used it, I have found ONE tick on my Lab/Pit, Harleybird, but he was walking over 5 miles a day with me at one point.

Nupro ingredients:
http://www.nuprosupplements.com/ingredients.htm

I do not give as much as recommend to my 2 Pits and Labradork. The Labradork is 140# and he gets about a heaping tablespoon a day.

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:59 am

Ive always used frontline on my hairless dogs. I just put it on a few dabs at a time. Its always worked for me.

Return to “Health Issues”